Maintenance Service for Quad R2R - Service Technician

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsk3331/disc rider

As a newcomer to everything Quadraphonic, about a year ago I purchased an Akai GX 270D SS Quad Reel to Reel tape deck but have not had it serviced as yet. This past week as I was attempting to settle in and enjoy some newly-purchased Quad tapes, I discovered that both the "Rewind" and "Fast-Forward" functions slowed down and eventually stopped winding the tape about half way through the winding process which poses two questions I have:

(1)Does anyone have any idea what may be causing the problem?
(2) Does anyone know of a service tech in near proximity to Central Mississippi that I can take the tape deck to for proper servicing?

Thanks in advance for assisting me with trying to navigate my way around in the world of Quad.

For one it might just be that the tape is old and a bit sticky. I have the same thing happen with scotch tapes and a few others. By the way. I have two GX 270D SS and both will have the same problem with some tapes. You might find or purchase a Maxell tape (35-90) and see what it will do with 1800 ft of tape. My bet is that it will have no problem with fast forward or rewind.

Akai decks use a capacitor across each of the drive motors and when they get out of spec they weaken and drive suffers. Jon is doing this with his 630 deck. The schematics are on hifiengine.com for free. If it is beyond your current skills, any tech should be able to do this, as long as they aren't the kind of tech that just replaces boards in flat screen TVs.

Akai decks use a capacitor across each of the drive motors and when they get out of spec they weaken and drive suffers. Jon is doing this with his 630 deck. The schematics are on hifiengine.com for free. If it is beyond your current skills, any tech should be able to do this, as long as they aren't the kind of tech that just replaces boards in flat screen TVs.

I actually now have the caps and the shrink tubing and the wiring diagrams (for mine) and now that my power is back I will be finally swapping them out. I will report back if it works, as my 630D-SS is doing the exact same thing as your (OP's) 270D-SS.

But first I have to get the homestead back together.

For one it might just be that the tape is old and a bit sticky. I have the same thing happen with scotch tapes and a few others. By the way. I have two GX 270D SS and both will have the same problem with some tapes. You might find or purchase a Maxell tape (35-90) and see what it will do with 1800 ft of tape. My bet is that it will have no problem with fast forward or rewind.
Thanks so much for the prompt response and suggestion. I am going to clean the tape path really well and hope that solves the problem. Take care.

I actually now have the caps and the shrink tubing and the wiring diagrams (for mine) and now that my power is back I will be finally swapping them out. I will report back if it works, as my 630D-SS is doing the exact same thing as your (OP's) 270D-SS.

But first I have to get the homestead back together.
Hey, Thanks for providing the quick turnaround on the advice. I will clean the tape path in hopes it takes care of the problem. I would still be interested in locating a Local Service Technician near Jackson, Ms. if you know of one. Thanks

Back