DTS-CD Making DTS CD's from HiRez DVD-A's and SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. I am pondering getting a new Acura (since work subsidizes my car if I get one every 3 years) however going from my 14 to a 17 means giving up DVD-A. :(

Stupid reason for not moving forward for 99.99% of the US population, but not for me. If only the damn thing played 5.1 flacs! :)

In my younger days, I would take a lot of crap from people because my car stereo was worth five times more than my car...

Yeah. I am pondering getting a new Acura (since work subsidizes my car if I get one every 3 years) however going from my 14 to a 17 means giving up DVD-A. :(

Stupid reason for not moving forward for 99.99% of the US population, but not for me. If only the damn thing played 5.1 flacs! :)

I would have the DVD-A player installed, in fact ripped right outta the previous car, and dropped into the new car.

Don't settle for what is first handed you.

[I believe my question is suitable to this topic, but please let me know if I should create a new topic instead, given the age of this thread.]

My 2008 Cadillac STS can play DTS CDs as well as DVD-A. However, I tend to prefer using DTS CDs, as DVD-A takes much longer to load, and the LCD display is disabled when the car is in motion. I've had no issue playing commercial DTS CDs in the Cadillac, nor CDR copies of these commercial discs made with Imgburn. Examples would be Steve Miller "Fly Like an Eagle", Poco "Crazy Eyes", and Paul McCartney "Band on the Run".

I have many surround music titles on DVD-A, DVD-V, Blu-Ray, and SACD that I would like to play in the Cadillac. I use the "Create DTS-CD" option in DVDAE to create .cue/.dtswav files, then burn to CDR using Imgburn. These DTS CDs play fine on my computer (Foobar, VLC, MPC-HC). When played through my home stereo, my Outlaw 975 accurately shows the disc as DTS 3/2.1 and plays in surround.

However, when I try to play these DTS CDs in the Cadillac, there is no sound. The "DTS" indicator on the LCD display lights up, and the correct track names are displayed, but there is no sound. It doesn't matter what source type (DVD-A, Blu Ray, DVD-V) I use, the result is a disc that plays correctly on my PC or home stereo, but not in the car. Example titles I tried are:

Blu Ray: XTC "Oranges & Lemons"
Blu Ray: Bryan Adams "Reckless"
DVD-A: Talking Heads "77"
DualDisc: Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet"

I read on this forum that perhaps the CDR needs to start with 2 seconds of silence, so that the car player has time to detect the DTS CD correctly, but that had no effect. The one clue I found to what might be the problem, is comparing MediaInfo technical detail for commercial and converted DTS CDs. You'll note that the frame rate on the commercial DTS CD below (Alan Parsons) is 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF). This is the same for all the commercial DTS CDs I tested. The frame rate for any title converted to DTS from DVDAE is 86.133 FPS (512 SPF), such as the XTC title below.

Could it be that the Cadillac can only play DTS CDs with frame rate of 43.066 FPS and SPF of 1024? I've yet to figure a way to adjust/convert the frame rate. Maybe I just haven't figured out a way to do this, but I've checked in AudioMuxer, EAC3TO, Foobar, and DVDAE, and I just don't see a setting for frame rate.

Suggestions?

General
Complete name : X:\Multichannel\Alan Parsons - On Air [DTS].wav
Format : Wave
File size : 511 MiB
Duration : 50 min 38 s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 1 411 kb/s

Audio
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Mode : 14
Format settings, Endianness : Little
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : Open
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Bit depth : 20 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 511 MiB (100%)

General
Complete name : X:\Multichannel\XTC - Oranges and Lemons 2015 Mix Blu Ray DTS.dtswav
File size : 626 MiB
Duration : 1 h 2 min
FileExtension_Invalid : act wav

Audio
Bit rate : 1 411.2 kb/s
Frame rate : 86.133 FPS (512 SPF)
Bit depth : 16 bits
Stream size : 626 MiB (100%)

i have one question, i use DVD audio extractor to make DTS CDs from Blu ray and DVD Video, using this metod there is an option to obtain a CD file and a cue sheet, that then i can burn in any burning software, however i would like to know how i can obtain separate files and then burn the ones i want into a Audio CD, for example to make my own compilations (i want to grab some files from the Beatles Anthology, from the DVD of the McCartney years and from DVD Lennon Legend). How can this be made?

Extract one song at a time in DVD Audio Extractor. You'll end up with one .cue and one .dtswav for each song. Create a single cue sheet from the multiple cue sheets to create a single disc compilation.

Maybe there's an easier way to do this, but using only DVDAE, that's what comes to mind.

i have one question, i use DVD audio extractor to make DTS CDs from Blu ray and DVD Video, using this metod there is an option to obtain a CD file and a cue sheet, that then i can burn in any burning software, however i would like to know how i can obtain separate files and then burn the ones i want into a Audio CD, for example to make my own compilations (i want to grab some files from the Beatles Anthology, from the DVD of the McCartney years and from DVD Lennon Legend). How can this be made?

1. Run it through DVDAE which will give you two files- a big .DTSWAV that contains the whole album and a .CUE with the track split info.
2. Rename the .DTSWAV to .WAV in file explorer (will give a warning- simply ignore it)
3. Open the .cue in notepad and change the file it points to to .WAV, then save it
4. Download Exact Audio Copy (EAC)- it's freeware
5. In EAC, select "split wav by cue sheet" under tools and it will split the large .wav into separate tracks based on the info in the CUE sheet.

I do this all the time for mix discs in the car- with ImgBurn (also freeware) you can mix and match wav files in the handy CUE editor screen, add CDTEXT, etc

1. Run it through DVDAE which will give you two files- a big .DTSWAV that contains the whole album and a .CUE with the track split info.
2. Rename the .DTSWAV to .WAV in file explorer (will give a warning- simply ignore it)
3. Open the .cue in notepad and change the file it points to to .WAV, then save it
5. In EAC, select "split wav by cue sheet" under tools and it will split the large .wav into separate tracks based on the info in the CUE sheet.

I do this all the time for mix discs in the car- with ImgBurn (also freeware) you can mix and match wav files in the handy CUE editor screen, add CDTEXT, etc

That's much simpler than my method, I forgot about using EAC!

...Could it be that the Cadillac can only play DTS CDs with frame rate of 43.066 FPS and SPF of 1024? I've yet to figure a way to adjust/convert the frame rate. Maybe I just haven't figured out a way to do this, but I've checked in AudioMuxer, EAC3TO, Foobar, and DVDAE, and I just don't see a setting for frame rate.

Suggestions?

General

Audio

General
Complete name : X:\Multichannel\XTC - Oranges and Lemons 2015 Mix Blu Ray DTS.dtswav

Audio

I'm still hoping someone has a suggestion of how I can adjust the frame rate/SPF of a DTS WAV file.

I've tried an alternate method that yields the same results:

1.) DVDAE: Extract *.MLP or *.DTS files using Direct Stream Demux
2.) Open extracted files in AudioMuxer
3.) Create DTSWAV with AudioMuxer
4.) Burn to CDR with Imgburn

MediaInfo reports that the DTSWAV created by AudioMuxer also has a frame rate of 86.133 and 512 SPF. The CDR is read correctly by Blu Ray player & Outlaw 975, and also plays correctly on PC. The DTS indicator on the car stereo still lights up, but there is no sound. :-(

Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

I recommend going back to the basics in order to eliminate some of the process variables you're dealing with. Get yourself a copy of SurCode DTS CD Pro (its shareware now) and convert your individual channel wave files into a known DTS CD format. Then create a CD with something like CD Architect and see if it plays in the Caddy. I'll bet it does.

If you can then compare the working DTS CD to one of your other DTS CDs made with other methods, you might be able to determine the differences that enable or disable the CDs from playing in the Caddy. Nevertheless, you'll have a method that works 100% of the time although it uses stone-age technology.

Don't know if this will work for you in your situation, but I noticed one of your CDs had 20 bit files. That may be enough to throw the Caddy's player into confusion. Hope this helps.

[I believe my question is suitable to this topic, but please let me know if I should create a new topic instead, given the age of this thread.]

My 2008 Cadillac STS can play DTS CDs as well as DVD-A. However, I tend to prefer using DTS CDs, as DVD-A takes much longer to load, and the LCD display is disabled when the car is in motion. I've had no issue playing commercial DTS CDs in the Cadillac, nor CDR copies of these commercial discs made with Imgburn. Examples would be Steve Miller "Fly Like an Eagle", Poco "Crazy Eyes", and Paul McCartney "Band on the Run".

I have many surround music titles on DVD-A, DVD-V, Blu-Ray, and SACD that I would like to play in the Cadillac. I use the "Create DTS-CD" option in DVDAE to create .cue/.dtswav files, then burn to CDR using Imgburn. These DTS CDs play fine on my computer (Foobar, VLC, MPC-HC). When played through my home stereo, my Outlaw 975 accurately shows the disc as DTS 3/2.1 and plays in surround.

However, when I try to play these DTS CDs in the Cadillac, there is no sound. The "DTS" indicator on the LCD display lights up, and the correct track names are displayed, but there is no sound. It doesn't matter what source type (DVD-A, Blu Ray, DVD-V) I use, the result is a disc that plays correctly on my PC or home stereo, but not in the car. Example titles I tried are:

Blu Ray: XTC "Oranges & Lemons"
Blu Ray: Bryan Adams "Reckless"
DVD-A: Talking Heads "77"
DualDisc: Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet"

I read on this forum that perhaps the CDR needs to start with 2 seconds of silence, so that the car player has time to detect the DTS CD correctly, but that had no effect. The one clue I found to what might be the problem, is comparing MediaInfo technical detail for commercial and converted DTS CDs. You'll note that the frame rate on the commercial DTS CD below (Alan Parsons) is 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF). This is the same for all the commercial DTS CDs I tested. The frame rate for any title converted to DTS from DVDAE is 86.133 FPS (512 SPF), such as the XTC title below.

Could it be that the Cadillac can only play DTS CDs with frame rate of 43.066 FPS and SPF of 1024? I've yet to figure a way to adjust/convert the frame rate. Maybe I just haven't figured out a way to do this, but I've checked in AudioMuxer, EAC3TO, Foobar, and DVDAE, and I just don't see a setting for frame rate.

Suggestions?

General
File size : 511 MiB

Audio
Bit rate : Open
Stream size : 511 MiB (100%)

General
FileExtension_Invalid : act wav

Audio
Bit rate : 1 411.2 kb/s
Stream size : 626 MiB (100%)

I recommend going back to the basics in order to eliminate some of the process variables you're dealing with. Get yourself a copy of SurCode DTS CD Pro (its shareware now) and convert your individual channel wave files into a known DTS CD format. Then create a CD with something like CD Architect and see if it plays in the Caddy. I'll bet it does.

If you can then compare the working DTS CD to one of your other DTS CDs made with other methods, you might be able to determine the differences that enable or disable the CDs from playing in the Caddy. Nevertheless, you'll have a method that works 100% of the time although it uses stone-age technology.

Don't know if this will work for you in your situation, but I noticed one of your CDs had 20 bit files. That may be enough to throw the Caddy's player into confusion. Hope this helps.

Thanks, George, I didn't realize SurCode DTS CD Pro is shareware, so will certainly try that.

Regarding the 20 bit files, those are actually the ones that DO play in the Caddy! All the commercial DTS CDs that I have (released by DTS Entertainment) seem to be 20 bit, and they ALL play in the Caddy, whether the originals or CDR copies:

Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile
Clapton, Eric - 461 Ocean Boulevard
Clapton, Eric - There's One in Every Crowd
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Henley, Don - End of the Innocence
McCartney, Paul & Wings - Band on the Run
McCartney, Paul & Wings - Venus and Mars
Miller, Steve Band - Fly Like an Eagle
Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
Ohio Players - Fire
Ohio Players - Honey
Parsons, Alan - On Air
Poco - Crazy Eyes
Police - Every Breath You Take
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Sting - Nothing Like the Sun
Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
Wilson, Brian - Imagination
Winter, Edgar Group - Jasmine Nightdreams

I also tried a few DTS titles sourced from Quad recordings, including 16 bit, 20 bit, and 24 bit files. They all play in the Caddy, and the frame rate/SPF is the same as the commercial DTS CDs that play correctly. I'm hoping that's the real problem, and that SurCode can make it work.

Many thanks!

Strange. My commercial DTS CD of Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East is 16 bit 44.1 kHz.

Thanks, George, I didn't realize SurCode DTS CD Pro is shareware, so will certainly try that.

Regarding the 20 bit files, those are actually the ones that DO play in the Caddy! All the commercial DTS CDs that I have (released by DTS Entertainment) seem to be 20 bit, and they ALL play in the Caddy, whether the originals or CDR copies:

Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile
Clapton, Eric - 461 Ocean Boulevard
Clapton, Eric - There's One in Every Crowd
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Henley, Don - End of the Innocence
McCartney, Paul & Wings - Band on the Run
McCartney, Paul & Wings - Venus and Mars
Miller, Steve Band - Fly Like an Eagle
Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
Ohio Players - Fire
Ohio Players - Honey
Parsons, Alan - On Air
Poco - Crazy Eyes
Police - Every Breath You Take
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Sting - Nothing Like the Sun
Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales
Wilson, Brian - Imagination
Winter, Edgar Group - Jasmine Nightdreams

I also tried a few DTS titles sourced from Quad recordings, including 16 bit, 20 bit, and 24 bit files. They all play in the Caddy, and the frame rate/SPF is the same as the commercial DTS CDs that play correctly. I'm hoping that's the real problem, and that SurCode can make it work.

Many thanks!

Get yourself a copy of SurCode DTS CD Pro (its shareware now) and convert your individual channel wave files into a known DTS CD format.

Surcode is shareware now? They still want $99 for it after 30 days.

Where do you get this tool as shareware?

-Kristian

Still says $99 for license at your link.

Download from this page is redirected to Minnetonka, and leading to a message "Requested form doesn't exist or is unpublished".

Anyway, thanks! That would have too good to be true. DTS will never be free, since someone would have to pay fees to the DTS developer.

-Kristian

No, its not freeware. Its shareware.

share·ware
ˈSHerˌwer/Submit
nounCOMPUTING
software that is available free of charge and often distributed informally for evaluation, after which a fee may be requested for continued use.

Still says $99 for license at your link.

Download from this page is redirected to Minnetonka, and leading to a message "Requested form doesn't exist or is unpublished".

Anyway, thanks! That would have too good to be true. DTS will never be free, since someone would have to pay fees to the DTS developer.

-Kristian

Extract one song at a time in DVD Audio Extractor. You'll end up with one .cue and one .dtswav for each song. Create a single cue sheet from the multiple cue sheets to create a single disc compilation.

Maybe there's an easier way to do this, but using only DVDAE, that's what comes to mind.
Thank you very much for your help......greatly appreciated.....youre such great people.

This method could help ease this process......i actually also found that with the burning software you can actually import the whole cue file.....and from there you can select the songs that you want to burn......in order to create my mix i needed to import like 5 cue files.....is not that hard

I'm still hoping someone has a suggestion of how I can adjust the frame rate/SPF of a DTS WAV file.

I'm confused about what a frame rate could even be for a non-video file.

My guess is that when you're converting from DVD-A you're winding up with 48kHz material and your player is confused when it finds that on a CD.

I'm confused about what a frame rate could even be for a non-video file.

My guess is that when you're converting from DVD-A you're winding up with 48kHz material and your player is confused when it finds that on a CD.

I thought the same thing, what does "frame rate" even mean for a non-video file? But I confirmed that DTS-CD files created with DVDAE create a 44.1Khz file, but with a "frame rate" of 86.133 fps (512 spf). I haven't found a tool or method to change this frame rate.

So I did what George suggested. I downloaded the SurCode DTS-CD encoder (actually, bought it for $99), and encoded mono wav's, and it created a DTS WAV file with frame rate of 43.066 fps (1024 spf). I created a .cue file and burned a CDR with Imgburn, and the Caddy successfully played it! From what I've read, 512 spf is more or less "standard", but the DTS spec does allow 1024 and a few other values. For some reason, however, my 2008 Caddy only plays DTS CDs with 1024 spf.

I must say, though, that the process is now more cumbersome.

Before:
- Load DVD/DVD-Audio into drive, or Blu Ray ISO created with MakeMKV

- Open DVDAE
--- Extract DTSWAV with .cue file.

- Open Imgburn
--- Burn CDR

After:
- Load DVD/DVD-Audio into drive, or Blu Ray ISO created with MakeMKV

- Open DVDAE
--- Extract to "WAV -- PCM Uncompressed Wave". (6 channel, sample rate set to "same as input")

- Open AudioMuxer
--- Join multiple WAVs, for those titles where I had to extract each track with DVDAE separately. i.e. when there is no option to extract all tracks to a single PCM Uncompressed Wave
--- Audio Conversion, create mono WAVs, resample to 44.1KHz if necessary

- Open SurTec DTS Encoder
--- Manually assign each mono wav to the appropriate channel. (I join the multiple WAVs in AudioMuxer so that I don't have to do these manual steps in SurTec for each track)
--- Create DTS WAV
--- (A quirk of SurTec encoder is that when it's open, it locks the target folder for the saved DTS WAV. i.e. you can't rename or change ANY files or folders in that target folder....usually an app would lock a specific file or folder, NOT everything in a folder. Weird.)

- Open Imgburn
--- Manually create .cue file (there's probably a tool that can do this for me)
--- Burn CDR

Though the DTSTEST button in AudioMuxer confirms that it sees SurCode DTS-CD encoder, I haven't been successful using the DTSWAV feature in "Audio Conversion".

Here's an example where I'm trying on a single song. The song is 44.1Khz 6channel WAV. What am I doing wrong?

The following files have not been loaded because there is no compatible match with the audio format of the first file in the list <PCM-Extensible wave format (24bits) | 44100Hz | 6 350 kb/s | 6Ch (3/0/2.1)>:

- C:\Music\Last Plane Out.dts.wav
<Not a valid audio file>
<Maybe try to convert the file using the Audio Conversion option in the Tools menu>

I'd say the 24 bit depth is confounding your encoder. Try converting that file to 16 bit 44.1kHz and see if it works.

Here's an example where I'm trying on a single song. The song is 44.1Khz 6channel WAV. What am I doing wrong?

The following files have not been loaded because there is no compatible match with the audio format of the first file in the list <PCM-Extensible wave format (24bits) | 44100Hz | 6 350 kb/s | 6Ch (3/0/2.1)>:

- C:\Music\Last Plane Out.dts.wav
<Not a valid audio file>
<Maybe try to convert the file using the Audio Conversion option in the Tools menu>

Back