Quad LP/Tape Poll Mancini, Henry: Best of Mancini [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Best of Mancini"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Crap Sound, Crap Mix, Crap Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The 1964 Lp, released on quad as PQ8-1128.

Program 1:

1. Peter Gunn
2. Timothy
3. Lujon
4. March Of The Cue Balls
5. Fallout!
6. Mr. Lucky

Program 2:

1. Moon River
2. Experiment In Terror
3. Baby Elephant Walk
4. Days Of Wine And Roses
5. Theme From "Hatari!"
6. Charade

ED :)

I'm surprised no one's come in to review this one, as it's among the very few quad titles featuring music from the period between Elvis and the Beatles (Van Cliburn's TCHAIKOVSKY PIANO CONCERTO No. 1, and Enoch Light's PERSUASIVE PERCUSSION are two others that come to mind). Given the limitations, it's actually a fine mix, with a lot of discrete activity. Sound quality is also very good--typical of anything Mancini--and the man knew how to use brass and percussion in clever ways that have never been matched. And unlike most film composers, Mancini not only dabbled in TV scores, but in pop music in general--no composer has ever had so many pop hits! Even when the films were crap, like HATARI!, Mancini whipped up superior music, like the whimsical "Baby Elephant Walk." It's also interesting that two of his best known pieces, "Peter Gunn" and "Moon River," did Ok for him commercially as 45's, but even better for other artists (Ray Anthony and Jerry Butler, respectively).

Interesting note. The catalog number for this album--finally released in 1964--is for an Lp originally conceived and put into the RCA system in 1963. For whatever reasons its release was delayed until the following summer, and the inclusion of "Charade" indicates a modification of the original track lineup. And by the time it was released in the summer of 1964, "Pink Panther Theme" had gone Top 40, although it wasn't included (pity, woulda been nice in quad!).

Overall, an '8' for me: very well done, some limitations, but hard to argue with, and unfortunate that more music from this period was never mixed to quad.

Pink Panther theme came on the Best of Mancini Volume 2.

I have this tape. I think I've listened to it once since I got it. Might need to have another look at it. :phones

A question I’ve always wondered about the Mancini Quad releases…

Are these the original recordings from the 1960’s? Or were they re-recorded later on specifically for Quad? Say like in the 1970’s. And if these are the recordings from the 1960’s are these the same recordings used in the movies or re-recorded for the original release?

Either way, Henry Mancini was great. (y) Look forward to hearing these sometime.

I have several Mancini Quad 8 tracks and they all sound great to me. I do not know if they were re-recorded or just copied from the original multi-track masters, but they sound great to me.

MTGC (Michael)

Are these the original recordings from the 1960’s? Or were they re-recorded later on specifically for Quad? Say like in the 1970’s. And if these are the recordings from the 1960’s are these the same recordings used in the movies or re-recorded for the original release?

Since this is a quad issue of the 1964 compilation, it should be a remix from the 1959-1963 multitracks (they sure sound authentic enough). Presumably the versions used for the albums (mono or stereo editions) were faithful to the films or TV shows in which they appeared, but I'm not qualified to state that was true in every case.

Mancini.jpgTracklist.jpg

Hello,

This copy I recently came across has a different tracklist order than what's listed above in this thread. Are there possibly two versions of this?

I would guess that it's a timing issue. On the LP and reel editions, the songs are split into TV and movie sections. Maybe for the 8 track, the timing worked out better to switch 'Fallout' and 'Baby Elephant Walk'. At least they don't fade out/fade in.

It's been a few years since I started this thread, but my guess is that I used the reel tape's track listing. Had I had the Q8's track sequence I'd have listed that, too, since sometimes these differ from Lp and reel editions. The curse is that I may have one of the formats of a quad album but not the other (or the third, if there was a reel).

That said, thanks for posting the Q8 photos! We could use much more of that, since these sequence issues do arise on occasion.

Back