MANDO DIAO - "Aelita" (NEW Music in 5.1..!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people here dont seem to know who this Swedish band is--one of the most talented outfits around that is criminally ignored in the US. Comprised of two tech-savvy singer/songwriters, their original style was a much harder edged alternative rock--yet they always had a keen melodic flair in the vein of the Beatles. They then morphed a bit into a folksy sound--then on their 2009 release they had a synth-heavy song called "Dance With Somebody" that became a HUGE hit pretty much everywhere but the US (especially Germany). That was no doubt the catalyst for Aelita, an album named for a Russian synth keyboard used prominently on the album. Check them out also in Swedish "supergroup" Calistoga (2012) and another great Blu-Ray for their 2010 Unplugged MTV concert--complete with immaculate sound, slick production, and some very cool guests like Juliette Lewis.

Here's a nice link to show some of their best "original" style in a 10 minute block--the rough but melodic side and the folksy elements are showcased:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaQ1xwrI0_4

One of my personal favorites is this one from their 2004 album Hurricane Bar showing their Beatles side in full force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1cbsZeUAs

This sounds pretty good; NOT COMPRESSED TO DEATH.

I was surprised by the music. Vocals remind me off Depeche Mode and Tears for Fears, but better IMO.

Actually it sounds better than pretty good. I thoroughly recommend. Music is far more enjoyable than I initially thought it would be.

This sounds pretty good; NOT COMPRESSED TO DEATH.

I was surprised by the music. Vocals remind me off Depeche Mode and Tears for Fears, but better IMO.

Actually it sounds better than pretty good. I thoroughly recommend. Music is far more enjoyable than I initially thought it would be.

Agree with you, this one's a gem! What a year in Surround, guys...

I'm so bad about providing reviews here when it has been reviews here that have introduced me to sooooo much good music. This has an 80's feel but brought up-to-date. Excellent fidelity and good surround. IF you like 80's sound music (and I don't usually seek it out) then I would definately recommend this blu-ray.

Huge thanks to @fredblue and @edisonbaggins for recently discussing this relatively obscure surround title, otherwise I never would've known it existed! I sampled it in stereo on YouTube and immediately ordered the Blu-Ray on the strength of the opening track alone. Musically, I'd say comparisons could be made to Depeche Mode or Simple Minds.

I got the disc in the mail earlier today and I'm astounded at how great this is! We really need a poll thread for this one. The songs are catchy ("Black Saturday" will be stuck in my head for god knows how long), the surround mix is active and clever (some of the songs get pretty crazy with around-the-room pans and ping-ponging vocal echos), and the overall sound is punchy and dynamic without being fatiguing. The bass in particular is a standout: it's powerful, but never 'boomy" or muddy-sounding. If you like the music, I really can't recommend this enough.

"Rooftop":
Rooftop.jpg

"Sweet Wet Dreams":
Sweet Wet Dreams.jpg

For those who have the proper gear and setup: what does the Auro 9.1 mix sound like? Is it possible to rip that format to at least 7.1 FLAC?

Last edited:
Huge thanks to @fredblue and @edisonbaggins for recently discussing this surround title, otherwise I never would've known it existed! I sampled it in stereo on YouTube and immediately ordered the Blu-Ray on the strength of the opening track alone. Musically, I'd say comparisons could be made to Depeche Mode or Simple Minds.

I got the disc in the mail earlier today and I'm astounded at how great this is! We really need a poll thread for this one. The songs are catchy ("Black Saturday" will be stuck in my head for god knows how long), the surround mix is active and clever (some of the songs get pretty crazy with around-the-room pans and ping-ponging vocal echos), and the overall sound is punchy and dynamic without being fatiguing. The bass in particular is a standout: it's powerful, but never 'boomy" or muddy-sounding. If you like the music, I really can't recommend this enough.

"Rooftop":
View attachment 50539

"Sweet Wet Dreams":
View attachment 50538

For those who have the proper gear and setup: what does the Auro 9.1 mix sound like? Is it possible to rip that format to at least 7.1 FLAC?

all those lovely highly active channels (respect to Ronald Prent, when he's good, which is often, he's Scheiner/Wilson/Clearmountain good) but look how low level the LFE is relative to the other 5 channels.. all the doof-doof's must be upfront 😂

all those lovely highly active channels (respect to Ronald Prent, when he's good, which is often, he's Scheiner/Wilson/Clearmountain good) but look how low level the LFE is relative to the other 5 channels.. all the doof-doof's must be upfront 😂

I think it's mostly in the front left & right, and a touch in the center (similar to how Scheiner tends to mix the bass on his 5.1's). I spun a DTS-CD transfer of it in the car before and it seemed like the dash was gonna explode 🤣

this necrothread revival gives a curious teeny time capsule snapshot of the surround music hobby, we see a nugget of evidence of yet another stab by part of the industry to come up with genuinely new genuinely good product.. a brief glimmer of promise.. yet no fanfare, no support to the endeavour, no promo, no kiss kiss, no bang bang.

Universal's HFPA caper was yet another format shag-pile rug that got pulled out from under us, yet again.

though as we've seen with SACD.. DualDisc.. HFPA BD.. Atmos.. Prent and Proper have been at the forefront of these surround-suitable formats/delivery systems every time.. two seriously unsung heroes of the multichannel music scene. vive le Dutch! 🏳️‍🌈

(wow i should've stopped drinking before 1a.m. dog tired but totally wired!! 😋 🍻

I've been analyzing the 5.1 mix more closely on my PC, and I have to say that listening to isolated channels on this disc is very entertaining - particularly the center. In addition to the lead vocals, there's all kinds of weird synth and percussion bits in there. Check out this 30-second clip of just the center channel from "Rooftop":

Attachments

• Rooftop Clip (Center Only).mp3
    350.3 KB · Views: 279
Loud mastering but nice mixes. Good music. Not as silly as the cover makes it look. Some great vocals.

Back