MANDO DIAO - "Aelita" (NEW Music in 5.1..!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ronald Prent also made a great 5.1-Mix for the german album "Mensch" by Herbert Grönemeyer, only available as SACD on Ebay.
By the way, Ronald Prent and Darcy Proper are married.

Yes I've heard this one, very nice music and mix but I've been very unlucky with actually getting the Mensch sacd itself.. I bought one and it was the regular CD inside the SACD case.. then the next seller said they sold out and refunded my money.. third time lucky I am waiting on one now.. we shall see!

Are they married!? Oh how wonderful! They're like the Hi-Res surround equivalent of Mr & Mrs.Smith..!! :p

1+
Thanks so much, Adam! Listening to this right now on Grooveshark. Very cool music!

My pleasure! :) it is rather nice isn't it.

a departure from their usual stuff apparently but I'd never heard of them before.. I gave the 5.1 a play yesterday early evening before I went out to my mate's birthday drinks and I enjoyed it so much I had to play it right the way through again before I left the house!

two or three tracks are excellent (musically, for me) and the rest is solid.. the mix is Ronald Prent's usual standard.. the first track, the lead single, is the most go-ahead simple song and there's not much beyond jangling rhythm guitars in the rears but thereafter the album really opens up with lots of synths and strings and vocals.. there's nice discrete rear elements on every song with one or two having some of his what I'd almost call a "Ronald Prent trademark" back and forth/call and refrain front to rear panning of vocals and strings (he's done it on several of his surround mixes before, it's an extremely effective device in 5.1 imho).

Adam, were do you find this stuff as I have stuff under my nose and I sometimes refuse to or don't have time to check it out.
Case in point I have a confession, had a Brazil record collector moment a couple of years ago, was looking for some cd's on craigslist and saw someone was selling some 80's,90's,00's cd's for $100 for 2 box's of disk's(around 400). Normally would just ignore but as noticed the seller was a best friend of my younger brother, called him up and bought the 2 box's of disk's. After weeding through the crap(soundtracks,hip hop music) but there was also many good disk's and one of the disk's in there was "Mando Diao-Bring Em In" as I saw on back it was on Mute Records put it aside and thought this might be worth checking out.
I see your post about this band having a surround so I finally did just now check out the disk I had and its not to bad.
here's a review of album I just listened to:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/5557-bring-em-in/

Adam, am curious as based on review that you posted just wondering if this is a band that likes to mimic other styles as now they are going the electronic 80's style and originally they were the 60's garage band style and tried that for 6 albums.
Just wondering if this will type of disk is more of a novelty or could you see yourself listening to it in the future.

peter

I do searches on Amazon pretty much everyday for Blu-ray Audio and see what comes up.. and one day this funny looking thing came up with really bad cover art! It looked interesting in a way though.. but thought maybe the Blu-ray Audio format listing was a mistake.. so I went googling around and I found the Auro 3D site, saw Ronald Prent and Darcy Proper were behind it and leapt on the pre-order quicker than you could say "jackrabbit!"

ah so you've heard of these Mando Diao guys before Peter! well I knew nothing of them before I found this BD-A but I believe from what I've read that this was an artistic thing to go into this style of music and production, dictated by the material itself rather than a fad I think.. it will get repeated plays from me for sure, I really like it!

got mine yesterday, listened to it once. Seems to be a decent 5.1 mix. Music for me feels a bit mellow, so it might fit for the coming autum.

absolutely Dave! how do we go about it? Jon!? :p

also might be worth mentioning.. apparently Ronald Prent is exactly like Bob Clearmountain in that everything he works on he also creates a 5.1 mix of as a matter of course, whether the clients interested or not.. that's a lot of surround mixes between those two guys just waiting to be released, I reckon..!!

http://www.wisseloord.nl

This is the website of Wisseloord studios, Ronald and Darcy's work environment.

I might give it a try in Dutch, to see if Ronald and/or Darcy want to join a q&a for example. If Jon or somebody else is already working on this, I do not want to overflow Ronald with the same questions of course.

Hey Garry what took you so long! :p ;) :D

Somehow I missed this thread until today. It's been a hectic last three or four weeks with family. (Elderly in-laws). I'm back on track now :)

Not too many of these available now and some wouldn't ship to AU, so glad I nabbed one today! Thanks for the tip!

I regularly post about surround music releases on an AU website but never much response at all. I've seen a few get excited on SHF (probably QQ members though!)

Hey Garry what took you so long! :p ;) :D

(I also posted about this new title over @SHF and Blu-ray.com almost two weeks ago.. not even a sniff of interest in either of those places from anyone..)

Have another look on SHTV! I immediately posted a link to the album on youtube - and immediately ordered the blu-ray, which I've been enjoying for a week now.

Had another listen last night, and I really enjoy it. Maybe it's not a record you'll speak about in 20 years, but for what it is it's pretty good - and it's a new record. Wish more artists would go this way...

One disappointing thing... I ripped the Hi rez stereo for playback at work....

It's compressed to buggery... with a DR of 5. :yikes

foobar2000 1.2.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2014-09-03 08:08:27

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: ? / ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR5 -2.52 dB -9.04 dB 3:24 ?-Output.split-001
DR6 -2.56 dB -8.89 dB 4:57 ?-Output.split-002
DR6 -2.45 dB -9.53 dB 5:06 ?-Output.split-003
DR6 -2.50 dB -9.95 dB 4:41 ?-Output.split-004
DR5 -2.45 dB -8.89 dB 7:46 ?-Output.split-005
DR6 -2.46 dB -9.84 dB 6:44 ?-Output.split-006
DR6 -2.18 dB -9.25 dB 4:28 ?-Output.split-007
DR5 -2.44 dB -9.41 dB 6:52 ?-Output.split-008
DR5 -2.53 dB -8.55 dB 4:13 ?-Output.split-009
DR4 -2.34 dB -8.23 dB 6:17 ?-Output.split-010

Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR5

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 4608 kbps
Codec: PCM
================================================================================

Waveform of the first track:

Capture.jpg

Disappointing, but most modern music is like that. I've been trying (unsuccessfully so far) to get my hands on needledrops of the albums of a couple of my favourite modern bands (Chromeo & Mayer Hawthorne) because the DR ratings on all their albums are no higher than 5 or 6!

Back