Manfredo Fest 'After Hours' (1972, Daybreak Records) Possible stealth matrix LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
I was just doing some googling about Tom Jung based on the Black Jazz/Ovation thread I started, and came across this nugget in Billboard:

1606790087514.png

The album in question is After Hours - Daybreak Records DR-2012 from 1972.

https://www.discogs.com/Manfredo-Fest-After-Hours/release/2108676
Now given that RCA was obviously a CD-4 label, this probably isn't a stealth quad, but who knows? Jung did plenty of single-inventory QS mixing for Ovation, and probably other stuff that hasn't been documented thusfar. There are a few songs available on YouTube for anyone who's curious.

I was just doing some googling about Tom Jung based on the Black Jazz/Ovation thread I started, and came across this nugget in Billboard:

View attachment 59834

The album in question is After Hours - Daybreak Records DR-2012 from 1972.

https://www.discogs.com/Manfredo-Fest-After-Hours/release/2108676
Now given that RCA was obviously a CD-4 label, this probably isn't a stealth quad, but who knows? Jung did plenty of single-inventory QS mixing for Ovation, and probably other stuff that hasn't been documented thusfar. There are a few songs available on YouTube for anyone who's curious.

I recall meeting Tom Jung in the early 90's at an independent record store in White Plains, NY and although surround was NOT discussed [it was the 90's], I did compliment his audiophile record label DMP.

DMP did release a couple of Manfredo Fest albums but none, AFAIK, were ever encoded in CIRCLE SURROUND, the format which Jung utilized for his DMP label.

And from the few mch SACDs which were released on the DMP label, none were discrete ..... mostly ambient rears.

R-14853796-1587064099-7627.jpeg.jpg

R-5594945-1397518872-6543.jpeg.jpg
517DykjlpvL.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm still unsure on this from the samples here; the music I like and they have a good wide field, but just not that extra spatial "out of speaker-to the sides" sound I often hear on some mixes that are Quad encoded :unsure: If I can find a minty/sealed copy at a decent price I might go for it and be a Guinea Pup!

Back