DVD/DTS Poll Mansun - ATTACK OF THE GREY LANTERN [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Mansun - ATTACK OF THE GREY LANTERN

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 reissue of the 1997 album "Attack of the Grey Lantern" by the band Mansun.
This new deluxe edition from Kscope includes a new 5.1 surround mix of the album.

(y):)(n)

R-12098439-1528297899-1942.jpeg.jpg

R-12098439-1528297898-5757.jpeg.jpg

R-12098439-1528297899-3298.jpeg.jpg

Always been a big Mansun fan and especially this album which has stood the test of time. Great that this has been remixed however unfortunately its a missed opportunity from a 5.1perspective. There was lots of opportunities to make this a really interesting surround mix but it's too front focused with the surrounds only rarely being used discreetly. Ive heard Draper himself refer to the mix as "5.1 stereo" ! so it's not a surprise that this is what we got :-(. Also why could they not have produced a DVDA so we get Hi Res, it's sloppy!. On the plus side its a lovely presentation with a book about the album and lots of cuttings. The demo's and BBC sessions included on the 4 discs is also nice. So a nice item to have but sadly the 5.1lets it down, lets hope the Six remix is better than this. Scored it a 7

Also why could they not have produced a DVDA so we get Hi Res, it's sloppy!

I think high-res would have just been the cherry on the shit sundae...

Like skherbeck said, I too have not been able to digest this fully, at least in one sitting. A few songs here, few songs there. Frankly, I have no desire to listen to it any further. I try not to be overly negative about a release in my reviews, but this one earns it. From a surround perspective, it's a failure. The sound quality is weak, compressed, shrill, thin... The surround... HA!

This might be a worthwhile package for the avid Mansun fan, but for the surround enthusiast, avoid.

I'm voting a five. And that's pretty much five points for the content, as I enjoy the music.

Well it's one of my favorite albums of the 90s, so I was hoping that this was going to be good, and pdub did a good job on spooky action.
My take is that the album has always been busy.i don't think the surround mix is as bad as has been said. It's not the best and I rate it higher than the Beatles just on pure expectation grounds.
For me the surround vocals work well in the context of the album, not everyone's cup of tea I know. There is plenty in the rears though much is a clone of the fronts making the big sound the original album offered.
Maybe I have not got golden ears but I did not find the sound shrill and fatiguing.
I am happy with the whole package, it could have been better in some areas but overall it suits the sense sound of the original album.

It will not deter me from buying six when it's done.

I've tried to listen to this 5.1 mix again seeing if I would like it more, and I do not, although at least today is the first time I made it through the whole album.
I think I will sell off this set hoping I can get most of my money back.
The album is ok, but the mix is hardly discrete and congested.
The fidelity is pretty bad too.
To me, this sounds like a bad pro-logic upmix from a CD source.
Finally, Paul Draper's voice is all over the place. At his best, he is reminiscent of Roland Orzabal (from Tears for Fears). At his worst he just sounds like a whiny punk.

I think I will give this a '3' and that's being generous.

(n)

I've tried to listen to this 5.1 mix again seeing if I would like it more, and I do not, although at least today is the first time I made it through the whole album.
I think I will sell off this set hoping I can get most of my money back.
The album is ok, but the mix is hardly discrete and congested.
The fidelity is pretty bad too.
To me, this sounds like a bad pro-logic upmix from a CD source.
Finally, Paul Draper's voice is all over the place. At his best, he is reminiscent of Roland Orzabal (from Tears for Fears). At his worst he just sounds like a whiny punk.

I think I will give this a '3' and that's being generous.

(n)
I wanted to buy this...just because I think I want everything.....I was able to hear a copy and I didn't like it at all either. I'm glad I didn't spend the money. :)

I wanted to buy this...just because I think I want everything.....I was able to hear a copy and I didn't like it at all either. I'm glad I didn't spend the money. :)

You lucked out there, GOS! If anybody still decides they would like a copy of this (even after reading all of the negative reviews here...), I'm more than willing to part with mine for a very fair price. :poop:

Well I've done a Gos and not actually unwrapped this one yet! I did buy it on a bit of a punt really, I've heard a couple of the singles before but not the album, although a friend of mine raves on about it! Should I avoid listening to it and keep it sealed to increase any re-sale value? :unsure:

Reactions: GOS
Okay now that Six is now available for pre-order I will finally vote on this one. I have not listened to this in many many months, not because I did not like it but because there has been so much other stuff to listen to, November was a killer month! Put it on again today (and I enjoyed it, not the greatest surround mix to be sure but it is much better than just straight stereo, just not as discrete as it could be. I was not at all familiar with their music so my surround expectations may be tempered a little by that, just enjoying the music. So over all an 8 for me not gr8 but I am still enjoying it.

Back