Quantcast

Manuel Gottsching - "Inventions For Electric Guitar" Remastered version (in SQ)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

jfloftin

Here is an email I got from MG.ART:

"Hello,

sorry for the delay, but finally I got an answer from Mr. Göttsching.

"Inventions for Electric Guitar" was mixed in Quadro to a stereo Master with encoded SQ Quadro.
A copy of this master tape was used for the rerelease on CD (MG.ART 401) and for the rerelease on Vinyl ( MG.ART 901).
(see our website)

As it seems rather unlikely that there were copies of the original Master then made "without" containing the original encoded SQ, all rereleases on should possibly still replay with an appropriate SQ Decoder in Quad.

Unfortunately the idea of SQ Quad and its devices/decoders was "short-lived", and those few are gone for longtime.
Never been able to check this properly we did not mention the original notice on the back of the Vinyl cover for the option of Quadrophonic replay with an SQ decoder. We only left the front sticker ("Galaxy sound" etc.) as a "historic" reference to the original cover.

If you still find someone today who owns and / or uses such equipment Mr. Göttsching will be happy to hear about.
A probable significant audio reference part may be heard at the end of the track "Pluralis" when the chords turn around the four channels in circles.

Yes, we are going to rerelease all the old albums on Vinyl, the first will now be "Schwingungen" around end of May 2021.
("Inventions for Electric Guitar" had already been rereleased on Vinyl in 2016)

Best regards,
Andreas
MG.ART"

So this is the information that I got from Manuel Gottsching's representative about the "remastered" CDs. So all are SQ quad stereo encoded and can play back with a SQ decoder (such as the Surround Master v2 from Involve Audio which is what I do). And they used a tape master for "Inventions for Electric Guitar" at least.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Good news for those who haven't acquired a copy yet.

This is one of my favourite quad albums. Glad to see it's getting some love after all these years.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
They're a crazy price on amazon, Discogs have quite a few of the encoded CD at reasonable prices - I just found one in the UK

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
That's good news regarding ASH RA TEMPEL quad SQ reissues.
Some of the best quad mixes I own !

Will be looking forward to the SQ reissue of "Communication , The Best Of Ash Ra Tempel " . in lp and cd.
I have the SQ LP on PDU .
You can see Manuel Gottsching at the mixing console with a Teac 4ch Reel -Reel.(back cover)
like this :

Attachments

jfloftin

That's good news regarding ASH RA TEMPEL quad SQ reissues.
Some of the best quad mixes I own !

Will be looking forward to the SQ reissue of "Communication , The Best Of Ash Ra Tempel " . in lp and cd.
I have the SQ LP on PDU .
You can see Manuel Gottsching at the mixing console with a Teac 4ch Reel -Reel.(back cover)
like this :
I saw that compilation on Discogs. It's a rare one! It has some great songs on it too! I doubt that will be reissued, it's not even on Gottschings website in his discography.

Last edited:

shakti

Interesting, I love Gottsching and Ash Ra Tempel stuff. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but does this mean a separate Quad master was not made originally, so we will never be able to hear these in fully discrete quad on, say, a SACD?

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
He would definitely have made a 4ch master tape DISCREET REEL-REEL , hence the photo of him at the console desk with a Teac 4ch R-R.