Marantz 7706 7015 Atmos Decoding Problem

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that's exactly what I was getting when I posted the problem. Your ears will not lie...the upmixed processing sounds terribly inferior if you are familiar with the proper decoding of the material.

Yes, that's exactly what I was getting when I posted the problem. Your ears will not lie...the upmixed processing sounds terribly inferior if you are familiar with the proper decoding of the material.
So true, although I'm not having any problems getting Atmos off of movie and music discs, just from Disney+ via the ARC connection between the Sony X900F and the Marantz SR7013.

And because I don't know the movie Atmos soundtracks, I cannot tell what is supposed to be coming from the rear and ceiling speakers.

So true, although I'm not having any problems getting Atmos off of movie and music discs, just from Disney+ via the ARC connection between the Sony X900F and the Marantz SR7013.

And because I don't know the movie Atmos soundtracks, I cannot tell what is supposed to be coming from the rear and ceiling speakers.
You don’t get true dolby atmos through arc, you get lossy atmos, you need earc at both ends to get true atmos

You don’t get true dolby atmos through arc, you get lossy atmos, you need earc at both ends to get true atmos
Yes, that I have learned. However, a few things:

1) Atmos over Disney+ has always been lossy...Atmos metadate embedded in DD+...so not having eARC on both ends is not the issue.

2) As per post #11 in this thread, Disney+ messed up when they upgraded to version 2.9.1-rc1, and Atmos wouldn't run on Android TV's. However, Disney supposedly remedied this problem a few days later according to users reporting on Reddit.

3) Regardless of the version of Disney+, my Marantz AVR info screen has always reported "DD+ + DSur" as being streamed. If it was Atmos of any kind, true or lossy, it would show "Dolby Atmos". And as I show (again) in the table below, the Marantz instruction manual clearly states that Dolby Digital Plus + Dolby Surround is NOT Dolby Atmos:
77009-Screen-Shot-2022-07-24-at-5.28.28-PM.png

Some additional information to digest (or indigest. LOL) The Sony X900F has Android TV version 9 installed on it. According to info on the internet, version 9 can reproduce an ATMOS stream via DD+. This is compressed, but it is still ATMOS.

While the DD+ stream is playing, the display on the Marantz SR7013 shows this:

View attachment 81522

But the thing that confuses me, is that when I hit the green SOUND MODE button on the SR7013 AVR remote, the display shows that the codec is this:

View attachment 81523

So am I getting "ATMOS" or "DD+ plus Dolby Surround" upmixed? Doh!

For goodness' sake! I answered my own question almost a year ago in the following thread but forgot about it. A senior moment!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ng-difficulties-android-tvs-and-others.30944/

Sony TV's must have Android 10 to get Atmos on Disney+. The X900F has Android 9 and it is my understanding that there will not be any further updates. Sheesh!!!

Do you have a firestick or other device you can use instead?
I can buy a Fire TV stick 4k for only $40 from Amazon if I choose to. But I've got so many things plugged in: TV, cable box, Oppo 205, Marantz 7013 AVR, Parasound P7 Preamp, Parasound A21 Power Amp, Parasound A52 Power Amp, Parsound Z3 Power Amp, Surround Master...I just can't deal with any more "stuff."

I can buy a Fire TV stick 4k for only $40 from Amazon if I choose to. But I've got so many things plugged in: TV, cable box, Oppo 205, Marantz 7013 AVR, Parasound P7 Preamp, Parasound A21 Power Amp, Parasound A52 Power Amp, Parsound Z3 Power Amp, Surround Master...I just can't deal with any more "stuff."
Sounds like you need a much bigger boat LOL, sorry I meant a bigger adapter for all your plugs

Behold: My 6 lined-up on the back of the couch.

View attachment 81619
I couldn’t get away with that, my better half has two remotes beside her
1. Samsung 55” 4k tv
2. Virgin media cable box
Then I have the other 5 in a drawer beside me
3. Sony 4k blu ray player
4. Panasonic blu ray player modded for all region dvd’s
5. Sony AVR
6. Cambridge audio cd transport
7. Fire tv stick 4k
My remotes come out of the drawer as and when required, she is good to me, I can listen or watch what I want all day long, then after dinner she’s in charge 😀

I couldn’t get away with that, my better half has two remotes beside her
1. Samsung 55” 4k tv
2. Virgin media cable box
Two remotes is also my wife's limit. And they too must be the TV and the cable box. Like you, I separate the other three remotes. They reside on a table off to the side when not in use. Technology revolt!

I have a Logitech Harmony Elite in the theater, and a Logitech Harmony 665 in the living room. Although she has no restrictions on either room, she prefers the living room. The problem is that the TV in the living room is one of those that selects its inputs with up/down commands from the remote, and she simply will NOT wait for the commands to finish being sent from the remote before she sets it down behind a lamp or book, so I’m always resynching it. 🫤

Back