Marantz amp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottmoose

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi guys -yes, me (again). Have been looking at Ebay & noticed a Marantz 4220 amp / reciever up for sale. Any thoughts for a newby to Quad on if this would be worth bidding for? Or should I hold out for a Sanusi as I'm also interested in synthing surround from stereo?
Cheers for now
Scott

Scott,
Post a link to it so we can check it out and report back our , or whom ever checks it out,Their report! Right click on your browser and copy and past it here, it will make the link and we just click and away we go ! Rob

The Marantz 4220 is a somewhat low powered amp, but like all Marantz receivers and amplifiers of the 1970s, low distortion at peak levels. Any Marantz of this era is worth having, but don't get caught up in a bidding frenzy - you'll see more in the future. The only inherent problem is the pots need cleaning every few years, and those 8 volt fuse lamps are not easy to find. They're my personal favorites for quad.

I thought I might point out that some of the Marantz gear had plug in modules for decoding SQ. The idea was that you could upgrade as improvements were made. (wouldn't it be neat had Fosgate had made Tate modules for these receivers?) Anyway, since the receivers were sold without them, few of them actually have the modules. The modules themselves are as scarce as chicken teeth. So you might want to ask the seller if it includes the module, and what logic level does the module contain. There were several types as I recall. This problem doesn't exsist with Sansui. Happy Hunting

The Quadfather

Database reports 12 watts per channel. $500 list price when new. Ebay sales prices range from $42 to $151 with an average around $85

Not sure if the unit takes the plug-in decoders but since I have reports of "higher numbered" units using them it makes sense they do.

SQA-1 Front/Rear logic

SQA-2 Full logic (but, full-logic was a term used as early as 1974 with later decoders calling themselves full-logic that used different "full-logic." In other words, "full logic" is akin to "all natural," it can mean almost anything) $56 to $280 eBay sale prices.

SQA-2B full logic. Receiver has to be designed to accept this plug-in decoder.

Info hard to find on these plug-in decoders. I see them pop up every once-in-awhile at eBay.

Personally, if you're gonna spend the money perhaps a bit more to get a more powerful unit? And, something to consider..... the high end higher priced units when they sold new were apt to be bought by someone that would take better care of it.

Back