Marantz SR-7012 Receiver acting up (Heads up to Marantz and Denon receiver owners)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
it's probably all the activity from the Sun (eruptions, etc. look for Ben Davidson online for more info..well AND NASA and SOHO)..
But my receiver has been acting up...

This morning I had to go into "troubleshooting mode" (i.e., give me 100 reasons why you can´t hear anything coming out of the receiver) and after exhausting MOST possibilities it seems that the receiver had thought it had the HEADPHONES plugged in (which I haven't done in several days) so I was getting nothing , and since the receiver does not have ANY indicator for "Headphones" it took quite a while to resolve...I had already thought that the receiver had gone to hell in a handbasket, but thankfully , NO.. the main giveaway as to why I went for the headphones is that it would NOT give me MCH output on the display, ONLY Stereo and when I went to the main setup it mentioned that it can´t be done when there are headphones plugged in...curiouser and curiouser I thought ...(thanks , Alice!)

I solved it by plugging the headphones in , wait a few seconds for the receiver to change the ouput and then unplugging them , and voilà, back with sound again...

So, for my QQ brethren who have Marantz AND Denon receivers (it's the same company and I am almost positive probably VERY much the same hardware), beware!!!

it's probably all the activity from the Sun (eruptions, etc. look for Ben Davidson online for more info..well AND NASA and SOHO)..

This morning I had to go into "troubleshooting mode" (i.e., give me 100 reasons why you can´t hear anything coming out of the receiver) and after exhausting MOST possibilities it seems that the receiver had thought it had the HEADPHONES plugged in (which I haven't done in several days) so I was getting nothing , and since the receiver does not have ANY indicator for "Headphones" it took quite a while to resolve...I had already thought that the receiver had gone to hell in a handbasket, but thankfully , NO.. the main giveaway as to why I went for the headphones is that it would NOT give me MCH output on the display, ONLY Stereo and when I went to the main setup it mentioned that it can´t be done when there are headphones plugged in...curiouser and curiouser I thought ...(thanks , Alice!)

I solved it by plugging the headphones in , wait a few seconds for the receiver to change the ouput and then unplugging them , and voilà, back with sound again...

So, for my QQ brethren who have Marantz AND Denon receivers (it's the same company and I am almost positive probably VERY much the same hardware), beware!!!
You sure it wasn't some kind of accidental pilot (or critter i.e. cat etc.) error Kap, I've had similar things happen to me and I had accidentally punched a button on my remote without knowing it... :rolleyes:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...lt-in-a-big-stressful-frenzy-of-horror.28922/

The headphone jack has a switch in it, and like all mechanical switches, contacts will oxidize if unused. It is an issue with flat panel TVs with a headphone jack as well.

Funny you should mention this erratic behavior. Over the weekend I noticed that HDMI ARC/eARC with my LG OLED C8 TV and newly acquired Denon X4500h receiver stopped working. HDMI to the TV works , just no ARC when watching TV content.

Funny you should mention this erratic behavior. Over the weekend I noticed that HDMI ARC/eARC with my LG OLED C8 TV and newly acquired Denon X4500h receiver stopped working. HDMI to the TV works , just no ARC when watching TV content.

ARC is one of the buggiest features in TVs. Apparently no universal standards kept it from ever working consistently. Didn't stop them from upgrading to E-Arc before ever fixing ARC. And E-ARC has just as many if not more compatibility issues.

I love the higher performance digital brings to audio and video, but man was hook-up so much less of a hassle in the analog domain. Give me 5 RCAs over HDMI any day. And I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the problems with digital are due to copy protection.

Once in a while, these inventions-of-the-devil need a hard reboot...unplugging, waiting a minute or two, an then plugging it in again.

I once had a printer that I thought was shot. A hard reboot didn’t work. The internet gurus said to leave it unplugged for two hours and it would reset itself. That indeed worked. WTF!!! I would have tossed out a perfectly good printer because of some insane quirk.

LG makes great screens supported by horrible software. My OLED routinely randomly changed from ARC to internal speakers. It was so common that it became the first thing I would check after turning the TV on. I don't check it any more because ARC just stopped working entirely.

But at least as far as I know they still haven't fixed the years-old issue with their YouTube app having out-of-sync audio.

My Marantz has developed a slightly annoying habit of forgetting the HDMI passthrough setting occasionally.
Doesn't happen constantly but all of sudden it forgets to pass through the cable signal & audio when the unit is off.

Typically fixes itself for awhile after I turn the receiver back on.

Thanks for your report.
I have a Marantz SR6005 and it works fine for now, but I remember what a nightmare it was to connect it to the HDMI of my PC.
This is my 3rd Marantz receiver, after returning two other "supposedly" new units to the official dealer for malfunctioning issues.
Even with this one I had several months of fight against hiccups, noises, errors in hdmi handhake, aleatory changes in channel configuration, until I ended up buying an Geffen HDMI detective and luckily -all- my problems went away.
In my country, the official Marantz dealer evaluates their customers look, and if they detect that you are not too smart with hardware, they sell you a refurbished unit as brand new from the factory, go figure...

My Marantz has developed a slightly annoying habit of forgetting the HDMI passthrough setting occasionally.
Doesn't happen constantly but all of sudden it forgets to pass through the cable signal & audio when the unit is off.

Typically fixes itself for awhile after I turn the receiver back on.
My Denon sometimes does the same thing, but I can usually avoid it by going to "TV Only" (receiver off) on my universal remote before powering off everything for the night. Then, when I power on just the TV in the morning, the passthrough almost always works.

LG makes great screens supported by horrible software. My OLED routinely randomly changed from ARC to internal speakers. It was so common that it became the first thing I would check after turning the TV on. I don't check it any more because ARC just stopped working entirely.

But at least as far as I know they still haven't fixed the years-old issue with their YouTube app having out-of-sync audio.
I guess it depends on which software you use. I don't use ARC, but I do use the streaming software on my LG LCD, and it's rock-solid, at least for me.

My Denon sometimes does the same thing, but I can usually avoid it by going to "TV Only" (receiver off) on my universal remote before powering off everything for the night. Then, when I power on just the TV in the morning, the passthrough almost always works.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Will give program my remote to shut it all down that way!

It is very likely the TV. I recall a firmware update a couple of days before it stopped working. Checking the firmware release on LG's site shows 3/18/2021 as the firmware release date. It is more than likely this.

My Marantz NR1504 receiver won't pass signal until I rotate the input selector dial back one notch, then back up to the normal selection. It's one thing after another with these complicated receivers.

I have a Marantz 6011 that has not given me one single issue over the years. I use it almost daily.

I also have a Denon 2805 from 2004 that is now part of the garage system. It's subject to minus 40F in the winter and lots of humidity in the summer. It too, has never given me issue. Perhaps its my turn to be lucky in something.

Back