Marantz SR7013 Extra Amp for 11.2 Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I recently upgraded my Yamahaa home receiver to a Marantz SR7013. The receiver has the capacity for 9.2 for Auro 3D or Dolby Atmos, among other surroud formats. I just got my 9.2 setup up and running and am really enjoying it. But.... if 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers sound great then how would 11 speakers and 2 subwoofers sound?!! The 7013 can run 11 speakers and 2 subs, but you need an extra amplifier to power at least two of those channels. My curiousity has the best of me and I've got the extra speakers to try it out, but that leads me to a couple of questions.
I do not have an amplifier to run the extra two speakers, but I do have the Yamaha receiver. Not the ideal choice, but it has multichannel inputs and pre-out, so there is really no reason it should not work? Right?
Well, for the life of me I can't get it set up to power those extra two speakers.
On the Marantz it is set up this way:
FL, Center, FR, FLheight, FRHeight, 2 subwoofers, Surround L, Surround R, Surround Back L, Surround Back R.
Amp is assigned those speakers in that configurration and those speaker wires are run through the Marantz.

Height 2 Pre-Out goes to Yamaha Surround IN. Speakers are connected via the Yamaha for thsoe 2 speakers. Yet when I run the speaker volume test all speakers are active EXCEPT those two that are run out of the pre-out on the Marantz. I can't figure out why this doesn't work. I even tried using another receiver I have as the amp and it didn't work either. The obvious solution would be to pick up a proper amplifier that could be used for those two channels, but I really think the receiver should work. By the way, Multi surround input is selected on the Yamaha in the Pure Dirrect Mode. If anyone has any clues about how I can get this working I would be so grateful.
With all this time at home I get a bit obsessed about these things. haha

I recently upgraded my Yamahaa home receiver to a Marantz SR7013. The receiver has the capacity for 9.2 for Auro 3D or Dolby Atmos, among other surroud formats. I just got my 9.2 setup up and running and am really enjoying it. But.... if 9 speakers and 2 subwoofers sound great then how would 11 speakers and 2 subwoofers sound?!! The 7013 can run 11 speakers and 2 subs, but you need an extra amplifier to power at least two of those channels. My curiousity has the best of me and I've got the extra speakers to try it out, but that leads me to a couple of questions.
I do not have an amplifier to run the extra two speakers, but I do have the Yamaha receiver. Not the ideal choice, but it has multichannel inputs and pre-out, so there is really no reason it should not work? Right?
Well, for the life of me I can't get it set up to power those extra two speakers.
FL, Center, FR, FLheight, FRHeight, 2 subwoofers, Surround L, Surround R, Surround Back L, Surround Back R.
Amp is assigned those speakers in that configurration and those speaker wires are run through the Marantz.

Height 2 Pre-Out goes to Yamaha Surround IN. Speakers are connected via the Yamaha for thsoe 2 speakers. Yet when I run the speaker volume test all speakers are active EXCEPT those two that are run out of the pre-out on the Marantz. I can't figure out why this doesn't work. I even tried using another receiver I have as the amp and it didn't work either. The obvious solution would be to pick up a proper amplifier that could be used for those two channels, but I really think the receiver should work. By the way, Multi surround input is selected on the Yamaha in the Pure Dirrect Mode. If anyone has any clues about how I can get this working I would be so grateful.
I would use one of the stereo inputs on the Yamaha:
Audio 1
AV 1
Tape 1
Don't use one of the multichannel inputs.
You've already got the multichannel signal from the Marantz. All you want to do is amplify it

I would use one of the stereo inputs on the Yamaha:
Audio 1
AV 1
Tape 1
Don't use one of the multichannel inputs.
You've already got the multichannel signal from the Marantz. All you want to do is amplify it
Hmmm... I will give that a try in the morning. I did try exactly that with my vintage quad Pioneer receiver and it produced no audio either. I tried it in two different inputs: 2 CH AUX IN and 2 CH TAPE IN. No sound in either.

I assume you had success incorporating your Yamaha as the outboard amp in your system? I recently bought the same receiver and had no problems assigning outboard amps (7 of them) and using the Marantz to power 4 height speakers.

I have a similar 11.1 with 2 subwoofer setup with the Marantz. I am suspecting something is not enabled in your setup menu on the Marantz...I recall having to tool with it awhile to get all the outputs working properly.

I picked up a Marantz 7025 2 channel power amp and set it up to power the main left and right channels, and let the Marantz receiver's amps cover the surrounds, center and heights. Seamless integration, although I see the price for it has gone up significantly.

I am thinking with the Yammy, you would need to turn off whatever signal processing is going on in the receiver (room correction, crossovers, etc) to avoid having double processing on those channels fed from the Marantz.

That's actually my setup, I have a Denon Receiver (4500H) which allows 9.2 plus 2 more using an external amp, so 11.2 in total. I have a Parasound 2125 v.2 which powers the Fronts (FR & FL).
I'm sure it all comes down to the setup you have on audyssey. And since both Marantz and Denon share the firmware (Audyssey in this case) I can share a screenshot of how I set it up.

Here you go.
IMG_20210918_121654.jpg

Hope this helps.

Back