Marillion - Brave in 5.1, Steven Wilson Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On first listen, loud. And I have to say the first 10 minutes are absolutely stunning. From the drone sounds and the sea waves in the beginning to the synths swirling around. H's voice is crystal clear and goodbye to the listening fatigue I experienced with the CD.
I'll report more after the full run through in the next days.
Tonight I'll play the stereo remix on headphones, lights out and Venezuelan old rum in hand.
Happy camper for now...

Brave.jpg

Received today from Racket Records (@ Texas).

Last edited:
As good as Misplaced Childhood is, I've always thought the music on Clutching at Straws was better (aside from the song Incommunicado which sounds to me too much like a Pete Townsend radio hit). I'm stoked about the news. I'd still like to see the first two albums done up in 5.1 too though.

I don't like Incommunicado at all either! It's typical 80's "heroic" rock song, and quite ridiculous, I think. I can't listen to the album because of this song… But I'll welcome the surround mix! And I'd very much like the first two albums in surround too.

Anyone else order this from amazon.uk and still waiting for their copy?
Guess this is what I get for not ordering from the bands website,OOPS mistake made on my part.
Thankfully a great(which there are many) form member from here shared a dts copy of this so have been able to enjoy before getting my official copy but it sure is a drag how long it takes to get stuff in the mail from my neck of the woods.
I have always been more a fan of getting physical media/booklets,etc but late shipments(except for Roxy Music which was quickest ever for me) but never thought I would say this but getting things via a download would almost be my preference now as am really liking having 5.1 flac's on a hard drive playing through Oppo player.

peter

...... as am really liking having 5.1 flac's on a hard drive playing through Oppo player.
peter

please pardon my ignorance and "nothing to do with the thread",,, I'm guessing you are referring to having an external HD connected to the Oppo (which model?) and having the Oppo output the MCH thru HDMI thru your receiver?

please pardon my ignorance and "nothing to do with the thread",,, I'm guessing you are referring to having an external HD connected to the Oppo (which model?) and having the Oppo output the MCH thru HDMI thru your receiver?

Kap'n no ignorance on your part, that would be me.
Yes you are correct, I am using Oppo 103 and MCH played through receiver's(Marantz 6007 receiver) HDMI.

Kap'n no ignorance on your part, that would be me.
Yes you are correct, I am using Oppo 103 and MCH played through receiver's(Marantz 6007 receiver) HDMI.

Thank you!!! I can get there alright by myself this time... I usually play my MCH files from the Mac (and the external HD) thru my MOTU into the receiver...

Well according to a FB post by the band's mgmt, "Clutching at Straws" should/could be out late this year with the mix by SW....count me in.

FYI, now Marillion's manager has updated that statement to say that the next deluxe edition will be either "Clutching at Straws" or "Afraid of Sunlight". Maybe there's a tape issue they are still trying to sort out with "Clutching at Straws", or maybe Steven Wilson does not have enough time to remix it right now.
Either way, both choices are good ones!

New statement:
Clutching At Straws or Afraid of Sunlight Deluxe Edition should be available later this year (details TBC). All the EMI studio albums will be given the same treatment over the next couple of years. They re aiming for two per year.

:)

FYI, now Marillion's manager has updated that statement to say that the next deluxe edition will be either "Clutching at Straws" or "Afraid of Sunlight". Maybe there's a tape issue they are still trying to sort out with "Clutching at Straws", or maybe Steven Wilson does not have enough time to remix it right now.

New statement:

2 per year is very good.

New statement:

Or, it's getting the "extra" stuff in order, getting tapes or best versions for whatever they want to include. Whatever it is, the statement is pretty nice to hear and I'm more than willing to give 'em lots of leeway - 2 per year is ambitious when you think of tracking down tapes, doing the mixes, extras, licensing radio sessions etc etc..all within the other schedules of everyone involved. I like the optimistic commitment I'm getting from them for sure.

I ripped the 5.1 layer of Brave, all good.
My tagging software is a little off and I am not sure the order of ripped especially that I am unfamiliar with the album, great as it is, I love it.
I assume tracks 1-12 are the main titles, not sure what 13-19 are?

I ripped the 5.1 layer of Brave, all good.
My tagging software is a little off and I am not sure the order of ripped especially that I am unfamiliar with the album, great as it is, I love it.
I assume tracks 1-12 are the main titles, not sure what 13-19 are?

No, there are actually 19 tracks on the main 5.1 playlist- they are on different titles because you have to physically "turn the page" on the Blu-Ray menu to get to the rest of the tracks.

There are 19 tracks because each section of the "Goodbye To All That..." suite get their own track. It should look like this:
4. Goodbye To All That
5. Wave
6. Mad
7. The Opium Den
8. The Slide
9. Standing In The Swing

So 1-12 should have "Bridge" through "Alone Again In The Lap Of Luxury", then 13-19 is "Now Wash Your Hands" through "Made Again".

Back