Marillion-Fear 5.1 DVD BLU-RAY SETS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The multichannel SACD is still available [$16] from AmazonUS https://www.amazon.com/F-Everyone-R...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01HC94ADO

Also available from ImportCD [$11.33]
https://www.importcds.com/f-e-a-r/4029759113577

91Bgq4Y2NFL._SL1500_.jpg

F*** Everyone And Run

Last edited:
Simply comparing the images of the SACD and the DVD I would say the 5.1 mix on the DVD is more subtile.
While the SACD really seams to be a blown up stereo mix, the separation of the several intruments, voices or effects is better on the DVD.

The images show this very clear i.m.h.o..

SACD
SACD.png

DVD
DVD.png

Overlay
Overlay.png

Unfortunately for the fan's that didn't buy the crowdfunding releases with DVD or the expensive bluray set: a 5.1 mix is not commercially available excepted buying it from one of the backers as i did.

Alright, I went and gave the SACD a try because it was on sale a couple of weeks ago for $11. Holy hell, what a mess it is. That center channel is so loud and just has really dumb things done to it. It sounds like the engineer summed the fronts and just put it beneath what was already in the center (vocals) and then bumped the whole channel up a few dB. I have no idea why any functional professional would do that unless they've never worked with surround sound before.

There were a couple of people who said it sounded narrow and that is because all you are hearing is the center. That channel is masking almost everything from the fronts. I muted the fronts and honestly couldn't hear any difference, which is insane! I then listened to this with the center muted, and that helped with the overall balance but at the end of the day, it's really just not mixed well. I also tried to find a good medium that I could attenuate the center and still get somewhat of a clear mix, but the extra set of everything in the center just makes it sound extra cluttered no matter how much I decreased it. That is a shame in itself because musically, I really do like this record.

It's really cluttered, and just not in a general "there's too much stuff everywhere". There is a decent amount of that happening,(vocal reverb in the fronts for one) but its not the whole issue. Lots of frequency masking happening between different instruments and vocals, so everything just ends up sounding bad and cluttered. The rears just have a bunch of verb and some pianos and cymbals but nothing sounds clear to me, there's just so much stuff fighting for the same space. I'll probably never hear the DVD version, since it looks like there's just vocals and some snare in the center which would help the overall balance a lot. Oh well.

Simply comparing the images of the SACD and the DVD I would say the 5.1 mix on the DVD is more subtile.
While the SACD really seams to be a blown up stereo mix, the separation of the several intruments, voices or effects is better on the DVD.

The images show this very clear i.m.h.o..

SACD
View attachment 55073

Unfortunately for the fan's that didn't buy the crowdfunding releases with DVD or the expensive bluray set: a 5.1 mix is not commercially available excepted buying it from one of the backers as i did.
Interesting! I'd like to see a comparison of the SACD to the stereo mix, so we could see how similar they actually are.

As an aside this somewhat outdated piece of information is funny to see with that avatar next to it @rtbluray ;)
1617401941655.png

Last edited:
Bumpety Bump...

Lucy Jordache, Marillion's manager, just posted this, in response to a question about the FEAR SACD.

it was initially release on SACD by Edel / Ear Music but they did it without asking us. Further more, what they released wasn't done correctly - they 'simulated' the super audio and quite frankly, it sounded rubbish! So we made them recall and destroy all stock.

So in short - yes, it is an official release but it's hardly any different to the 'normal' CD.

So, as previously surmised and suspected, NOT REAL.

Back