HiRez Poll Marillion - FUGAZI [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Marillion - FUGAZI

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 reissue of the classic Marillion album "Fugazi".
The album has been remixed in 5.1 surround by engineers Andy Bradfield and Avril Mackintosh, and the remix is presented as a 3CD/Blu-Ray Edition with LOTS of additional material.

(y) :) (n)

61Ut%2BBljPOL._SL1200_.jpg

71gVRBIbNUL._SL1200_.jpg

919LXmkblDS._SL1500_.jpg

Fugazi – Marillion’s angry album.

Surround Mix: 8
Content: 9 (minus one point for not providing a 5.1 mix of “Cinderella Search” or other affiliated B-Sides)
Fidelity: 7 (The rockier songs are a bit harsh & the bass guitar is somewhat lost in the mix)
Overall: 8

Likely the best Mackintosh & Bradfield 5.1 mix so far but not without faults.
  • Backing vocals & vocal effects really drive the discrete sound mix in the rears.
  • Keyboards & other effects get discrete placements as well.
  • An occasional guitar lick makes a discrete appearance; especially the opening guitar riff on Assassing.
I have to say that it might be the first time I have ever felt that such a heavy & frequent vocal placement in the rears really works well. Great job – Overall it comes across as a cohesive & immersive disc.

On the downside:
  • The more aggressive songs sound a bit harsh causing me to want to back off the volume a bit.
  • The bigger sin is in loosing Pete Trewavas' bass again. The pair did such an amazing job at unburying the bass on “Script” but here Pete’s guitar is forced to again fight to be heard thru most of the album.
There has been some criticism that the new mix takes to many liberties.
I personally don’t hear that with the exception of Fugazi. The song now abruptly stops instead of fading out. I think the better call would have been to let the drum (in military cadence) continue out and then stop hard. Not that big of a deal though.

From the recollections of this lonnnnng time Marillion fan, this album typically is the least regarded album of the Fish era. It has often been criticized as having a horrible original pressing but I never felt that it was as bad as some of the faithful claimed. It was always a bit harsh on the high end and Trewavas’s bass guitar was buried but it wasn’t unlistenable to me. So nothing has changed in there ;)

The band has pretty much overlooked inserting the album’s songs into their main set lists for as long as …. Well since about the day Hogarth took over the microphone (convention set lists aside). I have read a number of theories as to why and the most popular always seems to be that Hogarth felt the lyrics were extremely connected to Fish and he personally couldn’t comfortably relate to them. The documentary on this release seems to provide further reasons why the band steers clear of it.

Interestingly… When Steve Rothery finally got around to doing some solo work and touring over the last number of years’, the set list(s) featured a fair number of songs from the era (Cinderella Search, Fugazi, Incubus, 3 Boats).

Given the band’s lack of love for this album, perhaps they let Mackintosh & Bradfield have their way with this one.
Overall, another somewhat solid effort in this re-release project. Let’s hope that the label is pleased with the results and that the last two Hogarth era albums both have as adventurous 5.1 mixes.

Maybe the label will decide to extend the series to cover the “B’Sides Themselves’ compilation album so we can get the likes of Grendel, Market Square Heroes, & Cinderella Search in surround or faux surround. Fish has alluded that the label interested in releasing his first two solo albums in a similar fashion.

OK, I'm playing the Marillion FUGAZI BD~A right now in LPCM 5.1 WITH THE CENTER CHANNEL DISENGAGED and without any weird volume adjustments. Fish's vocals are DEAD CENTER and ROBUST, achieving, IMO, a perfect balance between fronts and rears!

TRY IT!

IMO, a successful discrete remix, a gorgeous package and achieved WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK!

A 10

OK, I'm playing the Marillion FUGAZI BD~A right now in LPCM 5.1 WITH THE CENTER CHANNEL DISENGAGED and without any weird volume adjustments. Fish's vocals are DEAD CENTER and ROBUST, achieving, IMO, a perfect balance between fronts and rears!

TRY IT!

IMO, a successful discrete remix, a gorgeous package and achieved WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK!

A 10
How about the bottom-end? Pete's bass? The kick?!?!

Plenty of kick Mike. I'm utilizing B&W 802 Nautilus Speakers and believe me, they have plenty of KICK!
Dropping the center is sort of concerning. IIRC, it was an important part of their Script mix, which had a awesome front sound stage.
Is it possible it got phase inverted (or something like that) this time?!

Initial thoughts? I like it. It seems to have toned down much of the original's "cocaine mix". I'd also say that the making of video, while not worth the price of admission on it's own, is well worth watching.

Last edited:
This one gets an 8!
I have problems with the compression sometimes. It would have been great if they had pulled out the compressor on some individual tracks sometimes. Mr glorious Scheiner said that many times…you don‘t need to compress so much for a surround mix as there is more natural seperation. Otherwise I like it :)

At least for Assassing, if you drop the center channel, you lose ALL of the dry lead vocal. The above poster must be folding it in to other channels.
Much like their Script mix, the center here carries much lead vocal and reinforces the drums, primarily. TONS of surround activity, as far as I can tell, so far.
Can't wait to hear this mix!

Not seeing over-use of compression here. Maybe there are some issues with EQ? I haven't heard the 5.1 yet.

It not having that 'haircut' visual appearance doesn't necessarily mean that the dynamic range hasn't been compressed. In comparison to the original stereo mix, the quieter passages are much louder and the loud parts sound 'cramped' (for lack of better term). I've already cited the intro fade-in to "Assassing" as an example of this - the volume doesn't really build anymore, and the full entrance of the band has less impact than it used to.

I have been awaiting this release. My historic favorite of the Fish era, with a caveat.

I first heard Marillion in College, when I was dragged ro the dorm of this other guy who had a CD player during my sophomore year (85/86). His equipment was much better thane mine, He had Misplaced Childhood, It sounded amazing, I think the first DDD, recording I had heard, On top of that, I really liked the music.

I was at school in a SMALL town in extremely upstate NY (Potsdam), Finding CDs was hard. I found Script on vinyl, bought it and loved it. Eventually I found Fugazi in CD and bought it and after listening to the new release, it must be the one I came to now the best.

Although my first exposure to Marillion was MC, I didn't buy a copy until the one of the remasters. I like it, but it's never been a favorite of mine. I never followed Marilllion and didn't find out about Clutching at Straws until I met ny wife, Which is my favorite of the Fish era, even though my wife, who made me aware of the album, can't listen to it,

I now have all four Fish era albums. It's very hard to rate them. MC maybe my least favorite by songs but is high on my list for mix. Script and Clutching while they have significant memory touch points are meh on mix. The Fugazi release, one I've loved has a great mx, but suffers from it being the mix I remember best. Ther surround mix is great, the best of the four. but there are a bunch of little things I was expecting to be prominent that weren't that I am popped out of the experience. These include keyboards, drum fills vocals on several tracks that were touchstones to me.

I love the surround mix, but miss those bits that were highlights of the album.

As always the release has a plethora of great extras and a wonderfully consistent packaging.

Fish era Marillion is all I really like of either catalog, and his, I have a few releases from both after he left the band, unfortunately none move me on CD or Blu-ray.

I hate to do it, but with how long I waited and how important those touchstones are to me, I'm giving Fugazi a 7.

I have been awaiting this release. My historic favorite of the Fish era, with a caveat.

I now have all four Fish era albums. It's very hard to rate them. MC maybe my least favorite by songs but is high on my list for mix. Script and Clutching while they have significant memory touch points are meh on mix. The Fugazi release, one I've loved has a great mx, but suffers from it being the mix I remember best. The surround mix is great, the best of the four. but there are a bunch of little things I was expecting to be prominent that weren't that I am popped out of the experience. These include keyboards, drum fills vocals on several tracks that were touchstones to me.

I love the surround mix, but miss those bits that were highlights of the album.

Fish era Marillion is all I really like of either catalog, and his, I have a few releases from both after he left the band, unfortunately none move me on CD or Blu-ray.

I hate to do it, but with how long I waited and how important those touchstones are to me, I'm giving Fugazi a 7.

I got to spend some quality time with Fugazi today. This is the first copy of this recording I have ever owned, in any format. Until they started releasing these deluxe versions, I had only ever owned Script and Misplaced as CDs. So luckily for me I don't have the issue you have regarding the touchstones. But I feel your pain. I have run into that same issue more than once, the most recent being the Al Stewart YOTC release.

Like you, I also have the other Marillion Fish Era 5.1releases and the solo Fish Weltschmerz 5.1. They all have great extras and packaging. I enjoy the video content. The artwork by Mark Wilkinson is some of the best.

Regarding the mixes, My choice for the best in class is Weltschmerz. Its a great album with regard to content as well. Even the videos, also in 5.1. I was very happy to hear that Fish is planning Deluxe 5.1 re-issues for his back catalog. I hope the same people responsible for mixing Weltschmerz also get to do the upcoming releases.

My choice for the next best mix is Misplaced. And it has to be my choice for best Marillion content as well. No surprise, I guess. It certainly is the album I'm most familiar with. Both it and Weltschmerz got votes of 10 from me.

Over time I have really come to appreciate Clutching. Hotel Hobbies, Sugar Mice, and Warm Wet Circles are crazy good tracks IMO. But I never voted for it. Nor did I vote for Script. These two have the weakest mixes. But I don't think they are as bad as most others do. At least not once the surrounds level is increased 5-6dB or so. They aren't as discreet as Misplaced. But they do expand the side images nicely, giving that "horseshoe of sound" style illusion that I find somewhat appealing. Without the level boost to the rears, its hard to tell they are even on sometimes, especially with Script. When I get a chance ill have to get a vote in on those. Script is a 7 for me. Clutching may be a 9, largely because of a slightly better mix and better content.

That gets me to Fugazi. The mix is better than Script and Clutching, but not as good as Misplaced, and a large step down from Weltschmerz. Content wise I have to put it toward the bottom of the list with Script. I'm giving it an 8. I hope the content grows on me. That was certainly the case with Clutching.

Last edited:
Regarding the mixes, My choice for the best in class is Weltschmerz. Its a great album with regard to content as well. Even the videos, also in 5.1. I was very happy to hear that Fish is planning Deluxe 5.1 re-issues for his back catalog. I hope the same people responsible for mixing Weltschmerz also get to do the upcoming releases.

Interestingly enough, Script, Fugazi, Clutching, and Weltschmerz were all handled by the same remixing team: Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh. I'd agree that Weltschmerz is their best 5.1 job to date.

Over time I have really come to appreciate Clutching. Hotel Hobbies, Sugar Mice, and Warm Wet Circles are crazy good tracks IMO. But I never voted for it. Nor did I vote for Script. These two have are the weakest mixes. But I don't think they are as bad as most others do. At least not once the surrounds level is increased 5-6dB or so. They aren't as discreet as Misplaced. But they do expand the side images nicely, giving that "horseshoe of sound" style illusion that I find somewhat appealing. Without the level boost to the rears, its hard to tell they are even on sometimes, especially with Script. When I get a chance ill have to get a vote in on those. Script is a 7 for me. Clutching may be a 9, largely because of a slightly better mix and better content.

You're not wrong about there being extended passages where the rears more-or-less disappear on both albums, but there are some fairly-pronounced moments of isolated rear activity throughout Clutching in particular (the keyboard solo in "Just For The Record", rhythm guitars in "Incommunicado", etc) that would become overbearing on my system if I were to raise the rears that much. The same goes for Script - bringing up the rears makes some of the subtle sustained keyboard parts in the rears more noticeable, but at the cost of the '80s drum reverb being far too prominent in the mix. The few bits and pieces that do appear discretely in the rears (backing vocals in "He Knows You Know", big guitar chords at the end of "Forgotten Sons", etc) seem to be at proper level.

Interestingly enough, Script, Fugazi, Clutching, and Weltschmerz were all handled by the same remixing team: Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh. I'd agree that Weltschmerz is their best 5.1 job to date.
I never would have guessed that. Weltschmerz is just so much more discreet. Man With a Stick is killer. Do you know if the band had any input with respect to the 5.1 mixes?

Back