Marillion "Holidays in Eden" remix from Stephen W Tayler in September 2022!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely getting this but waiting to see price as it appears on other sites. $50 - $60 for my least favorite of the EMI titles is a bit too high, but I expect the price will drop significantly. Fugazi deluxe (3cd/1bluray) going for $30 on Importcds.

There you go folks!! Amazon links appear to default to the country you are in - Amazon.co.uk comes up with the old version. Thanks!! SWTx
In Germany, they just open up a search page, which can be helpful (as in this case) or not at all. This does not happen if you remove everything after the ASIN. Amazon.com: Holidays In Eden (Deluxe Edition) : Marillion: Movies & TV Click on it to see if I'm right. So everyone, please keep that in mind when sharing Amazon links - always delete all the tags at the end of the link.
Code:
Bad link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7269XWR/?tag=forumyield-20
Good link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B7269XWR/

Edit: Unfortunately QQ adds these tags to the end of an Amazon link by default. :cautious: So if you're not in the same country as the Amazon link posted, you have to copy the link, remove the tags and then load the site.

Can’t wait for the new Marillion Holidays in Eden 5.1. I have 4 of the Be Bop Deluxe box sets. If the Holiday in Eden surround mixes come even close to Stephen W Tayler’s Be Bop Deluxe surround mixes I will be extremely satisfied. And: Pink Floyd Animals 5.1 is released the same day! It will be a great September.

Last edited:
Here's a review of this boxset.

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/marillion-holidays-in-eden-deluxe-edition-parlophone/
I like this comment:

As always, the Blu-ray disc packs a wallop, beginning with Holidays as both stereo and 5.1 mixes (man, it’s hard not to love Rothery’s guitar bouncing around the room in glorious surround sound)

and this comment

Fortunately Stephen W. Tayler (the engineer behind recent well-received reissues from Van Der Graaf Generator and Be-bop Deluxe) has achieved that balance with these new mixes

Sounds promising, :)

They're talking over here as to just when the £ hits parity with the US$!
Well I was quite pleased, Dunc, when jpc.de ONLY charged me €4.12 in total to ship 3 3D Blu ray discs and the Marillion BOXSET [3 RBCDs/1BD~A]. AmazonUK charges almost £14 just to ship 1 blu ray or RBCD .........

Oh - I don’t know.
Stephen Taylor has taken the least “Marillion” sounding album and made it even less “Marillion” sounding.

Struggling on a first listen. The subtle and not so subtle changes in the mix start messing with my 30 year muscle memory of the songs. And that is kinda throwing me off on focusing on the surround aspects.

On the plus side - It is the most adventurous surround mix of this deluxe edition campaign.

On the other hand - I think the results vary.

The mix starts off very promising with the vocal effects and guitar movement (buried in the 1991 mix) at the start of “Splintering Heart” are brought more prominently into the rears and fronts.

But then the backing vocals on “Cover My Eyes” and “No One Can” are featured too hot in the rears. Almost drowning the main vocal. Taylor then really isolates some of the more 90’s sounding electronic/synth sounding effects in the surrounds. Almost dating the songs more by focusing in on the quick keyboard touches.

On my favorite track, “100 Nights”, Rothery’s screeching guitar that comes in when the song switches intensity about 4 minutes in is really featured in the mains - Hurray! But at the expense of Ian’s awesome drumming that has now lost LOTS of prominence - Boo!

In fact, most of Ian’s work on the standard kit has been de-emphasized. His cymbal work and electronic drums are much more apparent in the mix. I know, I know - I never noticed that much electronic drum sound before either.

It was said that this is the album where EMI pushed the band to a more modern pop sound with Christopher Neil producing. I think Taylor’s surround mix further pushes the songs in that direction.

Not entirely a bad thing but I really miss Ian’s drum on “100 Nights”.

Will need to get used to the subtle changes to the feeling of the songs before I can focus on the mix.

But safe to say again that this is the most adventurous surround mix so far.

Oh - I don’t know.
Stephen Taylor has taken the least “Marillion” sounding album and made it even less “Marillion” sounding.

Struggling on a first listen. The subtle and not so subtle changes in the mix start messing with my 30 year muscle memory of the songs. And that is kinda throwing me off on focusing on the surround aspects.

On the plus side - It is the most adventurous surround mix of this deluxe edition campaign.

On the other hand - I think the results vary.

The mix starts off very promising with the vocal effects and guitar movement (buried in the 1991 mix) at the start of “Splintering Heart” are brought more prominently into the rears and fronts.

But then the backing vocals on “Cover My Eyes” and “No One Can” are featured too hot in the rears. Almost drowning the main vocal. Taylor then really isolates some of the more 90’s sounding electronic/synth sounding effects in the surrounds. Almost dating the songs more by focusing in on the quick keyboard touches.

On my favorite track, “100 Nights”, Rothery’s screeching guitar that comes in when the song switches intensity about 4 minutes in is really featured in the mains - Hurray! But at the expense of Ian’s awesome drumming that has now lost LOTS of prominence - Boo!

In fact, most of Ian’s work on the standard kit has been de-emphasized. His cymbal work and electronic drums are much more apparent in the mix. I know, I know - I never noticed that much electronic drum sound before either.

It was said that this is the album where EMI pushed the band to a more modern pop sound with Christopher Neil producing. I think Taylor’s surround mix further pushes the songs in that direction.

Not entirely a bad thing but I really miss Ian’s drum on “100 Nights”.

Will need to get used to the subtle changes to the feeling of the songs before I can focus on the mix.

But safe to say again that this is the most adventurous surround mix so far.
If the surround mix is even more adventurous than Fugazi I will be very happy. I really liked Stephen Tayler’s Be Bop Deluxe surround mixes so your review sounds good to me. Racket Records sent me a shipping notice so I will be eagerly waiting for my deluxe to show up.

Always interesting to hear detailed input from someone who knows the original recordings really well :)

I've really enjoyed discovering the band's music through these reissues, but - at least since Steven Wilson's involvement ended - the 5.1 remixes have kind of been a 'close but no cigar' thing for me. It seems like either the sound quality is really good and the surround effect is kind of tame (Script, Sunlight) or the additional speakers are used really well and the sonics are in some way disappointing (Fugazi).

Always interesting to hear detailed input from someone who knows the original recordings really well :)

I've really enjoyed discovering the band's music through these reissues, but - at least since Steven Wilson's involvement ended - the 5.1 remixes have kind of been a 'close but no cigar' thing for me. It seems like either the sound quality is really good and the surround effect is kind of tame (Script, Sunlight) or the additional speakers are used really well and the sonics are in some way disappointing (Fugazi).
How were the sonics disappointing in Fugazi? I thought Fugazi sounded great and was the most discrete of all of the Marillion surround mixes - even more discrete than Brave IMO. Just curious.

Stephen Taylor did a great job. More rock less pop. I rediscovered the album.
Love that you rediscovered the album!

I don’t quite it hear it the same way though.
Sure – Rothery’s screeching guitar stylings are now the prominent instrument in the mixes but so are the very clichéd ‘90’s keyboard effects. In my humble opinion, Taylor’s mix further solidifies the type of “sound” EMI wanted out of the band for this release.

More commercial less neo-prog

The songs that were earmarked for pop-rock, single release “Cover My Eyes”, “No One Can”, and “Dry Land” all sound even more mainstream ‘90’s pop rock.

The songs that Neil & EMI let Marillion be a bit more Marillion on “Splintering Heart”, “This Town”, “Rakes Progress” and “100 Nights” all seem a bit more muted to me. More Rothery guitar does make it seem a bit rockier but if you compare it to the original mixes the moody atmospheric edge has been toned down. Especially noticed on the short linking track “Rakes Progress”.

I am OK with it though! I love the album for what it is – a Marillion album. Without the label pushing the band on this one, we may have missed the band over compensating the swing back to neo-prog on the next release “Brave”.

For those that are more than a bit familiar with this album but do not have this yet….
The sound is closer too but not as aggressive sounding as the “Splintering Heart – Moles Club Demo” version. Which I feel most fans like better than the original.

But we are all here for the surround aspects. I again think after two listening’s last night that this is the most adventurous mix of the series. I love that there are clearly discrete elements in the rears.

Taylor did a pretty good job here and it wouldn’t break my heart if the label taps him for “Seasons End”. But my dream would be for the label to go out on an edge and get Bruce Soord or spring for Wilson to handle the wrap up to the series.

How were the sonics disappointing in Fugazi? I thought Fugazi sounded great and was the most discrete of all of the Marillion surround mixes - even more discrete than Brave IMO. Just curious.
I think they did a great job positioning the various instruments/vocals in the surround field, but the Fugazi 5.1 mix suffers tonally for me with too much high-end and a lack of dynamic contrast between the loud/quiet passages. Hunter's AoS was not as adventurous surround-wise, but it sounded great. It doesn't matter how 'discrete' the mix is if you get ear fatigue from cranking it.

Back