Marillion "Holidays in Eden" remix from Stephen W Tayler in September 2022!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the EMI ones have finished that will be 8, the last 4 have been done in surround sound, that makes 12, leaving 8 in the middle, one every six months would suffice, i’m not greedy I just like a lot!
There are only six albums that haven't gotten the surround treatment (unless you count Less is More as a proper "album"): This Strange Engine, marillion.com, Anoraknophobia, Marbles, Somewhere Else, and Happiness is the Road. This may be a personal preference thing, but I'd be fine with just getting This Strange Engine, marillion.com, and Marbles; I'm not a huge fan of the rest.

I'd be fine with just getting This Strange Engine, marillion.com, and Marbles; I'm not a huge fan of the rest.
Anoraknophobia has some of their best songs. I certainly prefer it to .com.

Given that Steven Wilson was involved to some degree with .com and Marbles, would be interesting to see if he would return to mix them in surround.

Anoraknophobia has some of their best songs. I certainly prefer it to .com.

Given that Steven Wilson was involved to some degree with .com and Marbles, would be interesting to see if he would return to mix them in surround.
I think the problem with some of those late 90's - early 00's albums is that the albums as a whole are quite weak, but each have some excellent songs buried in them. Interior Lulu, for example, is easily one of their best songs of all time.

There are only six albums that haven't gotten the surround treatment (unless you count Less is More as a proper "album"): This Strange Engine, marillion.com, Anoraknophobia, Marbles, Somewhere Else, and Happiness is the Road.

Radiation?
Ah that was remixed to surround already.

And “Somewhere Else” had 4 of its songs given the worst of 5.1 treatments on the first edition of the “Somewhere in London” live DVD.

Received mine on Monday evening, great packaging/presentation as always with these reissues. My initial thoughts on the 5.1 remix are similar to last year's Fugazi release.

The front-to-rear seperation is really extreme, allowing you to hear all kinds of hidden details in the production. For instance - I never would have guessed that the intro to "No One Can" has two overlaid guitar parts, but they've now been split between the front and rear speakers. The rear speakers are used primarily for keys, backing vocals, and the occasional rhythm guitar part. H's vocals are not isolated in the center speaker like on the other albums, they're dispersed pretty evenly across all three front channels.

This would probably be my favorite mix in this series if not for the squashed dynamics. "Splintering Heart" starts out great, but as soon as the guitar kicks in around 2:35 it feels like someone jammed a lid on the whole thing. The choruses in "Dry Land" and "Cover My Eyes" used to really pop, but now it's like the volume barely changes from the preceding verse. I wonder what this sounded like before it was mastered?

Really wondering what the hold up is... would be nice if Racket Records used tracking for their shipments; nearly three weeks seems like a bit much to get a package from the UK to Canada.
i wish Racket Records would use tracking also as I am still waiting for my copy of Holidays in Eden also. Thankfully I just received Be Bop Deluxe - Drastic Plastic box set & Animals so I am not as impatient as could have been!

i wish Racket Records would use tracking also as I am still waiting for my copy of Holidays in Eden also. Thankfully I just received Be Bop Deluxe - Drastic Plastic box set & Animals so I am not as impatient as could have been!
Especially considering I could have it here tomorrow off Amazon 😅

Ordered mine copy today along with the newely announced reprint of the Misplaced Childhood deluxe edition from Racket Records. Later I got shipping confirmation of Holidays in Eden, and although there was no any tracking number in email, I found it on the web site under the order details tab. Excellent service!

Back