HiRez Poll Marillion - SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Marillion - SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Mixed reviews of the 5.1
How about the 2.0 on the Blu-ray?

I am a biased Marillion fan - just saying up front.

The fidelity in these remixes is stellar and a noticeable improvement over the original vinyl, 1st issue CD, and the original deluxe 2 CD version (which did fix the slight volume drop during the title track).

As I listen for the second time to Script 5.1, I have some thoughts I have about Marillion. Unlike most of you, I never heard of Marillion until I watched Mike‘s review on Life in Surround for Brave. I loved the Deluxe edition of Brave so I started next with Misplaced Childhood and really loved the 5.1.
I was scared off of Clutching and Afraid of Sunlight because of poor reviews of the 5.1 on QQ forum previously but love MC so much I purchased AOS deluxe 5.1. Loved AoS too. So I had to get Clutching deluxe next. I loved Clutching too! Onward to Script Deluxe.
The 5.1 of Script is the weakest of the Deluxe Editions but pretty great IMO. Script sounds warm, full and clear, without treble boost and deep firm bass IMO. The music is revelation for me. Did I mention a great value for these Marillion Deluxe Editions? I wouldn’t let the lower rating of the 5.1 stop anyone from purchasing these Deluxe Editions, they have all been great IMHO.
I vote 9 overall Script for a Jester’s Tear.

Last edited:
My opinion: While the rears speakers are used relatively subtly, there's excellent separation between the three front speakers, and that alone makes this 5.1 mix worth hearing, IMO. Also, the overall sound quality is excellent.
More importantly. I hadn't really listened to this album since I was a teen. Admittedly the first time I heard the 5.1 mix I was a bit disappointed with how relatively sparsely the rears are used, though I understand there are reasons for that. But the second time I got all the feels from my teenage years back (in a good way). IMO, the mix supports the emotionality of the album (in particular the vocals).

A few other things: the bonus features are fantastic. Best ones: we get the whole "Recital of the script" video, including "Grendel" and "The web," and we get a 1.5 hour documentary on the making of the album. (Side note on this: closed captions are available for this documentary. THANK YOU FOR THIS TO WHOEVER DID THIS.)

So, 9.

My copy of Script For A Jester's Tear arrived today and listened to the 5.1 surround mix. Most of the music comes from the front with me straining to hear the subtle passages from the surround and back. I have enjoyed Marillion for many years, and my thought is this presentation gives a better experience than the original stereo version. IMG-4397.jpg
IMG-4400.jpg

Back