HiRez Poll Marillion - SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Marillion - SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
A 6 for me too. In understand the difficulties involved in getting this surround mix done, but I don't take that into consideration when I listen to it. I let my ears be the judge, not the back story.

Oh dear Mary Fahl to Marillion, one excellent surround mix one very lacking in anything special. Very kind I think calling it big stereo.
Happy to own music 10/10 it but disappointed by the mix, almost Silverlined.
That's why I like to try to arrange my listening in an ascending order of sound quality. I've done what you did more than once, making a bad recording sound even worse.

My Script deluxe is on the way, was hoping it would be here today, tracking says Monday.
Edit, arrived Sunday.

Last edited:
Finally got around to listening to the surround mix... I'm actually pleasantly surprised. As many have already noted, the fidelity is crystal clear somehow, which is great, and I am actually OK with the relatively non-discrete surround mix on this one. This kind of reminds me of the issue with Misplaced Childhood, it was kind of like Steven Wilson was clutching at straws (ha) with that one, something he himself noted in the difficulties of remixing that album. These older Fish releases were just really stripped down, which isn't a bad thing, but hard to get into this format. I still don't like the Clutching at Straws remix though; that one has a bunch of other issues...

I give this one an 8; I think they did a good job with what they had to work with.

I think it sounds great and no issue with bass at all. In fact I heard bass lines more clearly than I have ever had before. If you're a fan of the album this set is a no brainer as it's a superb package at a very reasonable price.

My main gripe is like many have said before and that there is very little going on in the rears which is a shame as the music would lend itself very easily to a decent 5.1 mix.

My main gripe is like many have said before and that there is very little going on in the rears which is a shame as the music would lend itself very easily to a decent 5.1 mix.

I agree, and in fact I think I'd add to that and say that sometimes there are things going on in the rears, but they're mixed super quiet (others have mentioned that here I believe).

Imho it's like they didn't really want to mess with the stereo mix so they added a few touches here and there in the rears just to say they did something........I gave it an 8.

Yes, the surround mix fails to use the surrounds to their potential. But the LCR are well-mixed and the instruments all pop. I bumped the center a few db to get a stronger vocal presence. But I think as a Big Stereo sitting in the audience mix this is still a great record that sounds magnificent once you stop expecting the rears to light up. This is an excellent example of what a huge difference a center channel makes. It has a big soundstage and I was very happy to be sitting in my center of the venue chair for a studio performance. Gave it an 8

I am also now certain I'm a Fish era Marillion fan. I can appreciate and enjoy the band with Hogarth and they make deep and impressive music.

But with Fish they have a light and bright element that his voice brings and the songs reflect. The subject matter is still often very dismal, but it doesn't sound or feel that way. It has that happy songs that are really sad when you dig in style. Perfect example of that is Heaven by Los Lonely Boys. Totally bouncy, hooky pop song that has lyrics that make you want to lie down in the street.

The band with Hogarth is not dreary, not dismal, but down in content and sound. The Brave cover perfectly represents them. It's a brilliant record, but it's not the slightest bit fun. Script for A Jester's Tear has a very prog toe-tapping appeal. And the cover art again represents the feel of the band. Bright and playfully crazy with a dark undertone. And the riffs and themes are all a bit more lively. There is a time for both, but I like music that elevates, that's the Fish band.

The band with Hogarth is nit dreary, not dismal, but down in content and sound. The Brave cover perfectly represents them. It's a brilliant record, but it't not the slightest bit fun.

I can't say I agree that all the Hogarth-era albums have the same feel as Brave. There's some less intense and surprisingly uplifting stuff in Seasons End and Afraid Of Sunlight - check out songs like "Easter", "Beautiful", "Afraid Of Sunrise", etc

I don't own those, so I'll check them out. I'm not really down on Hogarth and the band as much as I like the feel of Fish's voice more. At this point I'll pick up whatever else they put out in surround regardless of the era. They are a great band and all their music gives you brain food.

F.E.A.R is my favorite Marillion of any era, and I can't put a finger to why.
Definitely a fine album. My personal favourite Marillion album however, is Brave. I think they took a lot of risks with that album and it sounds magnificent in its original mix. I wasn't sold on Steven Wilson's remix of it. But hey, we all have our preferences.

As far as Script goes: it was a document of its time. Very much 80's prog and a fine debut album. The remix has revealed some glaring issues with the drums though, but that's a different story. The surround mix is rather tame, but it suits the album I think.

And the riffs and themes are all a bit more lively. There is a time for both, but I like music that elevates, that's the Fish band.
Around 2000, Marillion were rather lively too. I'm a big fan of Anoraknophobia, for instance, and half of that album is quite rocky (although perhaps more in an alternative/modern way as opposed to typical neoprog). "Between You and Me" and "Separated Out" are big mood-lifters, IMO.

Late to the party and can't really add much that hasn't already been mentioned:

1. I forgot I was listening to a surround mix which ain't a good start. I'd probably give it 5-out-of-10-Snood-bananas in this regard, but...
2. Fidelity is excellent, and...
3. Tons of content on the BD which makes it a great value package upon which I bestow 10-out-of-10-Snood-bananas

Hard to vote on this seeing as how it's a surround poll, eh? I'll have a few more listens before I click a number.

They were great live. Fish sounds exactly like he does in the studio and the music is tight.

Back