Marillion "Script for a Jester's Tear" (Deluxe Edition with 5.1 Blu-Ray!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As its sunny here I'm going to cut the grass (which will take probably a couple of hours) and do some gardening (plus still putting things back after the decorating), so even though I can't go to the pub tonight I may or may not get round to having a listen (there are a quiet a few albums in the to listen to pile as it is!).
It doesn't look like Market Square Heroes is in 5.1

Script-BDA.jpg

Bummer about MSH not having a 5.1
I am going to ask the band to send a note to Warner and ask them to include the b-sides with 5.1 mixes. Got to hear the 12” Cinderella Search in surround glory

I thought I knew this album pretty well having bought the LP when it first came out in 1983, this sounds different, maybe they have used alternative takes. Also it doesn't strike me as particularly surroundy, I've upped the surrounds a bit but still very front centric, sounded OK with the Moody Blues I played before it though. I have just re-calibrated my Denon using Audyssey so it might need a bit of tweaking yet.
And the washing machine is on it's spin cycle so that might taint things a bit, waiting for Duncans views on his first listen, I can just see a lot of you viewers saying you wish you hadn't ordered it now. BTW played 5.1 LPCM.

Last edited:
I thought I knew this album pretty well having bought the LP when it first came out in 1983, this sounds different, maybe they have used alternative takes. Also it doesn't strike me as particularly surroundy, I've upped the surrounds a bit but still very front centric, sounded OK with the Moody Blues I played before it though. I have just re-calibrated my Denon using Audyssey so it might need a bit of tweaking yet.
And the washing machine is on it's spin cycle so that might taint things a bit, waiting for Duncans views on his first listen, I can just see a lot of you viewers saying you wish you hadn't ordered it now. BTW played 5.1 LPCM.
Oh oh...not another duffer...🙄
Mine will not be released until April by Amazon so time to cancel if reviews are poor.

For those who already have the old Recital DVD and this latest version, is there improvement with the picture quality?

Does the original stereo mix on one of the CDs sound normal to you?

OK, I've tweaked the system a bit and have now given it umpteen listens and maybe it doesn't sound that 'different' from the original, but I can confirm that the surround mix is not very good, it's mainly ambient echoes or whats often called double stereo (not sure if I know exactly what that sounds like) with the odd discrete element such as backing vocal or keyboard with many missed opportunities such as the "A wake, a wake, a wake" part in Script where it is in the left rear, it could have been bounced between Left and Right. I do like the on screen picture though and it looks nice on the shelf with the other 4 re-issues.

OK, I've tweaked the system a bit and have now given it umpteen listens and maybe it doesn't sound that 'different' from the original, but I can confirm that the surround mix is not very good, it's mainly ambient echoes or whats often called double stereo (not sure if I know exactly what that sounds like) with the odd discrete element such as backing vocal or keyboard with many missed opportunities such as the "A wake, a wake, a wake" part in Script where it is in the left rear, it could have been bounced between Left and Right. I do like the on screen picture though and it looks nice on the shelf with the other 4 re-issues.
I know what it is like to be the conveyer of bad news Sven.
With a recent example being my review of Renaissances release.

Well I have cancelled my pre-order, I have plenty of music to listen to and there is no point in spending hard earnt cash on double stereo at best.

I'm still waiting for someone else to get there's, have a listen and give their opinion, just in case it's my ears have gone wrong or something, Chimpan A & To Our Children's Children's Children sound nice.

...but I can confirm that the surround mix is not very good, it's mainly ambient echoes or whats often called double stereo (not sure if I know exactly what that sounds like) with the odd discrete element such as backing vocal or keyboard with many missed opportunities such as the "A wake, a wake, a wake" part in Script where it is in the left rear, it could have been bounced between Left and Right.

This sounds an awful lot like the surround mix on Clutching at Straws. I'm afraid Marillion's mixers have embraced the philosophy that surround music is best used the way classical music mixers do it...meaning ambience only. That's lazy and unimaginative! I can't speak for all surround fans, but I know that most of us here are never going to be satisfied with that. I'm afraid we can expect the same for Fugazi.

Back