Marillion - Seasons End 5.1 on May

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UGH - My favorite band let's me down again. I was hoping the series would finish out with a bang. I love what Hunter does in stereo but he is like 1 for 7 on his surround efforts.
Yet again, 5.1 mixes of the b-sides ('Bell in the Sea' & 'The Release') are missing.

On the plus side, you get the whole "From Stoke Row To Ipanema" documentary on blu-ray & the Rock Steady TV Show live performance of 8 tracks.

Worst cover of the series too.

Last edited:
1679408827045.png

I liked Michael Hunter's remix of "Afraid of Sunlight", and this set, like all of the others, has a TON of great material incased therein, so yeah, I'm pumped for this release! Bring it on!

:)
Yeah I agree! I feel like his mixes have slowly gotten a lot better over time. Afraid of Sunlight was done really well, a far cry from his awful Radiation 5.1 on, which I really hope gets re-done at some point, I love that album.
The album cover looks.. pretty ugly here though.

I love what Hunter does in stereo but he is like 1 for 7 on his surround efforts.
The 5.1 mixes have been wildly inconsistent since Steven Wilson's involvement in this series ended, but at least for me Hunter's AOS - while conservative on the surround front - was probably one of the best-sounding of the bunch. The Fugazi and Holidays In Eden remixes certainly made more entertaining use of the format, but the compressed dynamic range and generally harsh sonics (IMO) of both titles keeps me from revisiting them often.

If this mix is on par with AOS, I'll be satisfied.

Disappointed by the cover and not too fired up about Hunter doing the mix. I am going to order but I am going to wait for a vendor here. I am getting tired of my stuff taking a two week residency in Cook County, Illinois.
I quite like the cover and to be honest before these started rolling out had dismissed the Hogarth Era.

Looking forward to this, Afraid of Sunlight is my favorite of these so far.

I agree it's a no-brainer to get this to complete the set, but the new cover is really ugly and boring. The original cover was far from their best, but it's way better than this dull black thing. Hoping the surround mix is decent, but given the history of Marillion with non-Steven Wilson surround, expecting to be disappointed. Will definitely be looking for best price on this one.

The 5.1 mixes have been wildly inconsistent since Steven Wilson's involvement in this series ended, but at least for me Hunter's AOS - while conservative on the surround front - was probably one of the best-sounding of the bunch. The Fugazi and Holidays In Eden remixes certainly made more entertaining use of the format, but the compressed dynamic range and generally harsh sonics (IMO) of both titles keeps me from revisiting them often.

If this mix is on par with AOS, I'll be satisfied.
I thought Michael Hunter’s 5.1 mix of AOS was fine but was really disappointed with AHBID 5.1 mix. Like many of you, I was hoping Stephen W. Tayler would be the surround mixer for Seasons End. I just read Stephen is doing the Moody Blues To our Children’s Children in 5.1 & stereo mixes so I have something to look forward to.
I am still going to pick up Seasons End 5. 1 and hope for the best from Michael Hunter.
IMO Fugazi & Holidays in Eden were two of the best 5.1 mixes of the entire Marillion deluxe editions. No problems with harsh sonics for me. JMHO

The Marillion at St-David (done by Michael Hunter) with orchestra especially the second blu-ray has a nice surround mix.

Back