Mark Waldrep (AIX) interview at bigpicturebigsound.com

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmez

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Spotted a link to this interview over at the AVS forums and knew some QQ'ers would be interested.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/A..._An_Interview_with_Founder_Mark_Waldrep.shtml

Among the interesting comments is that AIX plans to reissue some of their DVD-A releases in Blu-ray, in addition to issuing new releases in that format: "The first titles will be John Gorka - A Gypsy Life, Chamber Music Palisades - Shostakovich, Debussy and Brockman and Ernest Ranglin - Order of Distinction."

Mark Z

I saw this thread title as Mark Wahlberg when I clicked on it, thinking Marky Mark might have some drawers drooping rap in surround coming. It is good Dr. Waldrep has Blu-ray plans and I hope it includes new releases not previously available on the DVD-V/DVD-A dual sided discs, whatever those discs were called. A single sided, single layer 25GB BD should provide plenty of space.

Chris

I saw this thread title as Mark Wahlberg when I clicked on it, thinking Marky Mark might have some drawers drooping rap in surround coming.

Yeah, how awesome would it have been to get "Good Vibrations" in surround? C'mon, c'mon!!! Feel it, feel it!!!!!!! ;) That said, it's nice to see AIX is continuing their interest in surround, even if it ain't The Funky Bunch. :(

I wish AIX would get some unsigned indie & prog rock bands and some pop music bands to record their music in surround. If you go to www.cdbaby.com there are literally thousands of them - I think such music would help surround music find many more fans.

BTW: when I say surround music, I am not just speaking of the sacd/BD/dvd-audio hi-res formats, but surround in any form in particular the DTS-CD, the DTS and/or Dolby Digital tracks on a dvd-audio disc and the dvd-video format. Hi-res surround can still be tricky to implement even for a dedicated audio hobbyist, particularly bass management issues, but DTS-CDs, the Dolby (and DTS if included) tracks on dvd-audio and dvd-video discs are relatively speaking much easier to deal with; and many MANY people already own the equipment to play them.

If you are in the Los Angeles area on May 3, a visit to the AIX surround studios is on for the LA and Orange County audiophile society.
http://www.laocaudiosociety.com/calendar.html
Also, information in this months Stereophile magazine page 13.

I'm not a member so do not have any other details.
"Mark Waldrep, President of AIX and lifetime member of the Society, will be our host."

vinylguy4

Back