HiRez Poll Marley, Bob - LEGEND (30th Anniversary) [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Bob Marley - LEGEND (30th Anniversary Edition)

• 5 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters
This thread is killing me.
I ordered a copy, delivered to a US address to save on shipping, just before the pandemic closed the border.
So it’s been sitting down there with family, waiting to be picked up, for over a year :(

The 5.1 mix of this album, at it's best is stunning. There is an upmix (You Could Be Loved?) and there is a substitution from the classic track list that some don't like (No Woman No Cry album version).
I did an interview with Bob Clearmountain about his mix of this iconic record. At some point, I should shoot that review video lol
Anyway, technical problems keep this disc from achieving "10" status, for me. Strong 9 though. I like listening to this 5.1 mix with the center channel isolated, btw. So haunting. Try it!

A six? Who in their right mind gave this a 6? Even if the fidelity were a 4 (which it certainly isn't), the material being a stone cold 10 would make this an eight. It's a ten from me and one of the most important surround releases ever, but I can at least squint to see how someone could possibly grade it an eight. A six is a joke.
Such is the workings of the internet and democracy in general, whereby anyone registered, regardless of their capacity, may vote anonymously.

Have a look over at the Wish You Were Here poll, where someone has posted a 2:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-here-blu-ray-audio.15174/page-12#post-581449
*Strokes goatee and adjusts spectacles*

If one was approaching this as a researcher conducting a clinical trial, this phenomenon could be defined as an outlier. An outlier is a value that is so far from the others, that it appears to have come from a different population. The presence of outliers can invalidate many statistical analyses.

They can arise from invalid data entry, experimental mistakes, biological diversity, random chance or wrong assumption.

Identifying these outliers is ultimately a subjective exercise. It can be legitimate to remove outliers, provided that this is pre-specified and disclosed in the rules for voting.

The method of presenting the polls with or without outliers may be as follows:

1) Keep the outlying observations in the database, with a flag

2) Show a graph with all values, and the outliers identified/marked

3) Report how many outliers were excluded from the primary analysis, and the criteria used to identify the outliers

4) Consider reporting the results in two ways: with and without the outliers

The way the polls currently function, the outliers seem to identify themselves. One can reasonably assume that the reason they are there, is that they have been posted from a different population.

*Clears throat and looks at baffled audience*

10 out of 10 for the content, about 2 out of 10 for the packaging - the pages of my copy became detached from the hardback cover some time ago, from every day use. Is it beyond them to design more robust things?

Such is the workings of the internet and democracy in general, whereby anyone registered, regardless of their capacity, may vote anonymously.
FYI, votes here are not anonymous. Look at the poll results and you will see the number of votes shows up in blue. Click that and you can see who voted for each rating. I think that fact may cut down on the outlier effect, though it certainly doesn't eliminate it.

FYI, votes here are not anonymous. Look at the poll results and you will see the number of votes shows up in blue. Click that and you can see who voted for each rating. I think that fact may cut down on the outlier effect, though it certainly doesn't eliminate it.
The vast majority of people posting here do so under pseudonyms.

The vast majority of people posting here do so under pseudonyms.
Well, okay, but it's not the same as being truly anonymous. The member can still be called out under the member's name. I do think it helps with the outlier effect. I would dismiss the opinion of a virtual unknown much more easily than Jon or GOS or edisonbaggins (for example).

Back