HiRez Poll Marley, Bob - LEGEND (30th Anniversary) [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Bob Marley - LEGEND (30th Anniversary Edition)

• 5 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters
Bob Marley Legend is a classic album of great songs. When I saw this I knew it would sound great but then was blown away by the sound mix and the cool photos while the music plays. More albums should feature some kind of video background instead of a still image to prevent screen burn.

COVID has really screwed up the mail (as well as life itself), I've had 3 items from different countries disappear, all ordered from Feb to early April, some people are still getting things through now, but it seems there must be a huge pile of mail somewhere, like that Terry Pratchett story Going Postal:

Attachments

• Going Postal.jpg
    Going Postal.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 6
Hey Guys,
Thanks so much for the kind words on the Bob Marley 5.1. It was a fun project to work on and being able to master something from one of my hero's, Bob Clearmountain was a real treat!
BV
Fantastic work on this Bob! I am not a huge Marley guy but your 5.1 mix makes me fully appreciate the music. My wife only wants to hear these songs in surround now! Thanks again.

Bob Marley Legend is a classic album of great songs. When I saw this I knew it would sound great but then was blown away by the sound mix and the cool photos while the music plays. More albums should feature some kind of video background instead of a still image to prevent screen burn.
Hello @mongojr
I just noticed your 1st post.
Welcome to the QQ forum !

Hello @mongojr
I just noticed your 1st post.
Welcome to the QQ forum !
Thanks, I have been a fan of 5.1 surround ever since the local movie theater upgraded their smallest theater with a system transferred from a closing theater in 1984. Lucasfilm insisted on rating all the theaters for Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom. If the theater didn't get a C or above they couldn't get a copy. My brother managed it and they got an A+ from Lucasfilm. That theatre was about 25 rows deep with the largest screen. and 15 feet from the 1st row was empty space. It was the best "home" theater ever. Ever since I sought out the best in home video & audio. From Laserdisc till now. I just wish the companies didn't screw up DVD-Audio & SACD. Pick one format and run with it.

I've held off picking this up in the past as I'm barely familiar with Marley's music--the only songs on this compilation that I’d previously heard are “Buffalo Soldier” and the live version of “No Woman, No Cry"--but since it seems to be disappearing, I finally ordered a copy from Discogs that arrived yesterday morning.

There’s a lot going on in these songs and Clearmountain’s 5.1 mix doesn’t disappoint at all. The channel separation is so extreme that you might think you’re listening to a Columbia Q8! Individual guitar, organ, piano, and percussion parts are usually hard-panned into the corners. Backing vocals can be upfront with the lead (“Is This Love”, "Exodus") or isolated in the rears (“Three Little Birds”, "Jamming"). The center speaker gets heavy use as well - not just for vocals, but also steel drums and bass guitar. There's also some delay in the rears, giving the whole soundstage a very expansive and natural feel.

Overall sound quality is top-notch, and I'd be remiss to not mention the insane low end! Possibly the best bass I’ve ever heard on a surround disc. It almost--almost--becomes overbearing at times, and I don’t even have a sub.

“Exodus” is the standout track for me. It starts with a lone guitar in the front right channel, then organ enters from front left, piano from the center, and the horns from the rears. As it builds in intensity, the mix becomes more chaotic - talkbox parts sort of “sweep” up and down the sides and the "move!" vocal echoes bounce from the center into the rears. The song runs almost eight minutes, but the surround mix makes it so enthralling that it's over before you know it.

Needless to say, it's a "10". Every surround fan should have this disc in their collection.

Last edited:
There’s a lot going on in these songs and Clearmountain’s 5.1 mix doesn’t disappoint at all. The channel separation is so extreme that you might think you’re listening to a Columbia Q8! Individual guitar, organ, piano, and percussion parts are usually hard-panned into the corners. Backing vocals can be upfront with the lead (“Is This Love”, "Exodus") or isolated in the rears (“Three Little Birds”, "Jammin''"). The center speaker gets heavy use as well - not just for vocals, but also some drum parts and bass guitar. There's also some delay in the rears, giving the whole soundstage a very expansive and natural feel.

Needless to say, it's a "10". Every surround fan should have this disc in their collection.

I need not say anything more, it's a must have disc. 10 all day long!

Uhhhh I cant find my copy of this anywhere. I bought it 5 years ago and looked up my order on amazon. I remember because I bought the pure audio stereo only version by mistake first then bought the 5.1 version. I found my stereo bluray but not this one. Which one of you guys hid this in my house?
I'm more likely to find jimmy Hoffas body first before I find my legend......

I've held off picking this up in the past as I'm barely familiar with Marley's music--the only songs on this compilation that I’d previously heard are “Buffalo Soldier” and the live version of “No Woman, No Cry"--but since it seems to be disappearing, I finally ordered a copy from Discogs that arrived yesterday morning.

There’s a lot going on in these songs and Clearmountain’s 5.1 mix doesn’t disappoint at all. The channel separation is so extreme that you might think you’re listening to a Columbia Q8! Individual guitar, organ, piano, and percussion parts are usually hard-panned into the corners. Backing vocals can be upfront with the lead (“Is This Love”, "Exodus") or isolated in the rears (“Three Little Birds”, "Jamming"). The center speaker gets heavy use as well - not just for vocals, but also steel drums and bass guitar. There's also some delay in the rears, giving the whole soundstage a very expansive and natural feel.

Overall sound quality is top-notch, and I'd be remiss to not mention the insane low end! Possibly the best bass I’ve ever heard on a surround disc. It almost--almost--becomes overbearing at times, and I don’t even have a sub.

“Exodus” is the standout track for me. It starts with a lone guitar in the front right channel, then organ enters from front left, piano from the center, and the horns from the rears. As it builds in intensity, the mix becomes more chaotic - talkbox parts sort of “sweep” up and down the sides and the "move!" vocal echoes bounce from the center into the rears. The song runs almost eight minutes, but the surround mix makes it so enthralling that it's over before you know it.

Very nice review......so you ordered from Discogs......did you get yours from China? Seems it's the only place on Discogs. For $25 + shipping looks like a sold deal for me

Very nice review......so you ordered from Discogs......did you get yours from China? Seems it's the only place on Discogs. For $25 + shipping looks like a sold deal for me

$35 shipped from a U.S. seller. Ordering international doesn’t seem like a good bet with everything that’s going on right now - even domestic mail is slower than usual.

Wow oh wow
I found it and I dont mean Jimmy Hoffa
This sounds great.
Yes my disc was in front of me on a shelf for how long. I was looking for a pure audio type case and I didnt register this.
No woman no cry because I have my disc now.
Great bass response and mix.
But my son wants to watch the second Hobbit movie so I have to take this off now......and probably misplace it for another 5 years....
Is that a foto of Haile Selassie?

Wow oh wow
I found it and I dont mean Jimmy Hoffa
This sounds great.
Yes my disc was in front of me on a shelf for how long. I was looking for a pure audio type case and I didnt register this.
No woman no cry because I have my disc now.
Great bass response and mix.
But my son wants to watch the second Hobbit movie so I have to take this off now......and probably misplace it for another 5 years....
Is that a foto of Haile Selassie?
Yes it is Haile Selassie. I couldn't find my copy for a couple of years. But the wait was worth it when I located it. A great disc.

Back