HiRez Poll Marley, Bob - LEGEND (30th Anniversary) [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Bob Marley - LEGEND (30th Anniversary Edition)

• 5 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters
Hey Adam! I've seen no documentation but you can bet the farm that it's an upmix:

Center is stereo track summed dry to mono
Fronts are stereo track with added reverb
Rears are simply reverb and delay trails of the stereo mix

No discrete elements in any channel save for what was on the original stereo (left, right channels). Upmix without doubt. The rest of the disc is, of course, fantastic!

Fair enough my friend :) It is what it is (it's a shame these HFPA's feature such scant mastering and source info but there you have it) (y)

They can post all the charts and graphs and interpret the DR numbers any way they want...that first Legend blu ray was a piece of crap!

Thanks for being truthful and not going along with everybody on that 1st disc. I honestly never seen DR database until just recently when I was going to GIVE you my bridge of sighs cd. You showed me that site, quality of sound is what the listener thinks with all the variables (speakers, watts, etc. ) there should be a separate category for stereo BDA and 5.1 BDA.

Thanks for being truthful and not going along with everybody on that 1st disc. I honestly never seen DR database until just recently when I was going to GIVE you my bridge of sighs cd. You showed me that site, quality of sound is what the listener thinks with all the variables (speakers, watts, etc. ) there should be a separate category for stereo BDA and 5.1 BDA.

Thanks for coming back on the thread and providing an explanation...sometimes we can help a member if something involves a setting on his equipment..in this case I was pretty sure it was the first disc...there are a lot of subjective elements on these discs so there are going to be different opinions but when the disparity is huge it's worth investigation:)

Thanks for being truthful and not going along with everybody on that 1st disc.

First, people who like that 1st disc are being *truthful* too. Unless you think they are lying about their own opinions...? I think what you meant was 'thank you for agreeing with me'.

Second, I've seen as much anti- as pro-sentiment for it here, so I don't get who the 'everybody' is you're referring to.

I've only just managed to pick this disc up and can only echo the sentiments of almost everyone else in that this is a stand out 5.1 mix in every respect.

I shan't repeat what has already been said by many. But if anyone is in any doubt about getting this, stop twiddling your thumbs and pull the trigger.

My only complaint is the packaging. Not 2 minutes after removing the shrinkwrap, the entire book detached itself from its paltry staples that were fixed the the cover through a single sheet of paper. How on earth that was meant to stay in place with the weight of two discs and heavy paper is anyone's guess. It's incredibly poor construction.

Glad you're enjoying it Rob, good to see you on here :)

Oh, I'm always hanging around, lurking in the shadows ;) I've been indulging my vinyl habit more just recently but still keep my hand in with the multi-channel stuff. SW is on order and I plan to get Rush and Simple Minds in the coming weeks. Need to save my pennies for the inevitable Record Store Day spree and then there'll be SW's Roxy music mixes. My poor wallet... ;)

My only complaint is the packaging. Not 2 minutes after removing the shrinkwrap, the entire book detached itself from its paltry staples that were fixed the the cover through a single sheet of paper. How on earth that was meant to stay in place with the weight of two discs and heavy paper is anyone's guess. It's incredibly poor construction.

I'm glad (well not the right word really) that I'm not the only one...

The book is nice - but I hate cardboard sleeves.

I'm glad (well not the right word really) that I'm not the only one...

The book is nice - but I hate cardboard sleeves.

Its not right but I half expect this kind of bollocks with these digipacks now.. I hadn't even got that Van Morrison/Moondance Blu-ray out of the case before the back cover fell off! If it was only a tenner it'd still be a poor show but it's just a tenner after all and something's got to give but for a £50 quid supposed premium product like that one it's a bloody disgrace..!! :mad:

Got the 30th two disc anniversary Legend today after having to return the Pure Audio BD which arrived two days ago bought in the mistaken belief it was in 5.1.So a quick turnaround there from amazon (y)
On giving this it's first listen a couple of hours ago my son told me today would have been Marley's 70th birthday, a nice coincidence I thought as I was unaware that today would have been his b'day.
A couple of more listens are needed before this gets a rating, so far so good I like what I'm hearing.

Super surround mix. Great album in stereo, 10 times better in surround. I vote 10.

Bob Marley and the Wailers are showcased in the 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of the Legend greatest hits package. The Deluxe Edition includes a Blu-Ray disc and a CD, along with a small booklet that contains, among other things, the lyrics to each of the songs.

The Blu-Ray disc defaults to stereo audio and has a 5.1-channel mix of all of the songs on Legend, as well. The user can select either DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD for the 5.1-channel audio. The mix for DTS-HD Master Audio and the Dolby TrueHD options is the same. Both options are, of course, lossless. The songs are the same between the CD and Blu-Ray, with the exception of "No Woman, No Cry" (live on CD, album on Blu-Ray), "Easy Skanking" (alternate version on Blu-Ray) and "Punky Reggae Party" (alternate version on Blu-Ray).

The late Bob Marley is one of my favorite reggae artists and that's probably because of how accessible his music is. If you like rock or blues, you'll like Bob Marley. Bob Marley is probably best known as having written one of Eric Clapton's biggest hits, "I Shot The Sheriff", even though Marley had recorded it first.

This is an excellent sounding disc. The bass levels are good and the use of the surround channels is excellent. With the exception of the first three tracks, the sound quality is consistent throughout. I can listen to this disc at any level and it doesn't lose its appeal. The discrete instruments in the rear channel are appropriate and mostly don't "unbalance" the mix. The sound quality is so much improved over the old reggae records that I remember as having such a compressed sound. Bob Marley sounds alive and modern in these new mixes.

My only sound quality complaint is the bass levels of the first three songs. There is a slight over abundance of bass on these songs. An occasional over-exuberant bass note will suddenly appear and be very noticeable. It's as if the mix was attempting to bring up the bass guitar from the old tapes and didn't quite get the cutoff frequency or slope quite right.

My only other complaint is that the disc first asks if you want to connect to the internet. Then you have to select one of the 5.1-channel tracks from the audio menu. In order to do this, the TV has to be started. It's impossible to just play this disc to hear the music. The interesting pictures of Bob Marley and the band kind-of make-up for the need to "turn-on" the video monitor.

I'll take half a point off for the bass in the first three songs as well as making stereo the default setting. 9.5 rounded is a 10. So, I'll give Bob Marley and the Wailers "Legend" a rounded-up 10. I've very much enjoyed listening to this 5.1-channel album many times since its release.

Overall, I'm jammin', jammin' till the jam is through (in 5.1)...

Andy

Last edited:
My only sound quality complaint is the bass levels of the first three songs. There is a slight over abundance of bass on these songs. An occasional over-exuberant bass note will suddenly appear and be very noticeable. It's as if the mix was attempting to bring up the bass guitar from the old tapes and didn't quite get the cutoff frequency or slope quite right.

Andy

I noticed that exact issue, particularly on "Is This Love." The sudden bass appearance out of nowhere is is distracting enough that I need to dial down my subwoofer before I play this track. Despite this, I give the album a "10" for one of the most expansive and musical surround mixes I've ever heard.

quickly becoming my goto reference disc

every time I get new speakers or re-calibrate my system I test with this

I love you Bob Clearmountain

This remix is so well done, the subtleties even between the Dolby TrueHD and the DTS-HD Master are profound

Bob's got a good setup, both Bob's :)

I dig the fade-in/fade-out graphics also, shows that extra touch

There's also the possibility of there being no multitracks available for the live version of No Woman.. "No Woman, No Multi.."

The '75 LIVE would be a great surround disc. I know it exists in at least two versions: the original '75 Lp length and a later edition (definitely on CD, possibly first appeared on cassette). What would be nice is an even longer version with either unreleased material, some between-the-songs stuff (unlike the fast edits you got on vinyl), etc.

ED :)

The greatest compilation album ever. Hearing the percussion separated out gives me a new level of appreciation for The Wailers. If you have a friend who is a Bob head (don't we all) this disc will get him/her interested in surround sound.

Has anyone had problems with this blu-ray as far as manufacturing defects? I have orderd two copys of this album, from two different sources, both the blu-ray discs had the same manufacuring defect. It's looks like two parallel lines of tiny bubbles or something. You can see where the lines terminate on the edge of the disc. The lines are opposite each other, about a half inch from the edge of the disc. The CDs had a similar defect.

Just got this in and yes both my discs have the lines like u describe.

Playing bluray now...hoping doesnt skip

Great fidelity and excellent mixes on almost all of the tracks save for my favorite song Could You Be Loved. Of course the worst mix had to be on that song. Everything else sounds great. Plenty of discrete elements and the bass is nice as well. Photos of Bob cycle through as the disc plays which is a nice touch. If you dig this music than this is an essential purchase. A 9 from me.

Back