HiRez Poll Marshall, Amanda - EVERYBODY'S GOT A STORY [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Amanda Marshall - EVERYBODY'S GOT A STORY

• 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this SACD. (n):phones(y)

An absolutely wonderful mix of a really enjoyable album that I would never have previously entertained listening to if it were not for it being in surround!

The album is solid, the songwriting playful and knowing, performances are top notch, with Amanda Marshall's vocal style (if you don't know her, as I didn't) is in the kd lang mould, which I love.. production values are high and there are some real standout little bits in surround!

there's one track in particular, with one of the neatest little surround bits of playtime I've encountered in a wee while.
I'll play the album again tomorrow and double check which track it is and post again here..
from memory (I'll edit it tomorrow if I'm wrong but..) I'm pretty sure it goes something like this..

as the track starts, a cell phone rings (front left)..
..Amanda picks up (centre)..
..caller on other end speaks (front right)..
..and then as the song continues, the call fades out..
panning from front right, to the side, to surround right!

ahh.. marvellous!!

it's breezy, it's sassy, it's poppy and it's fun! she's got soul and spirit and isn't afraid to express herself through her music.
the inventive and playful surround mix superbly fits the artist and the music. I was so teetering towards a "10", its really THAT good!

It's a (very nearly perfect but still "top-tier") 9 from me.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't understand why more people haven't rated this. What a criminally overlooked gem.

I mean, you like the music or not, I do, so hey, that works. It's solid pop-rock with a strong voice. I've had her debut album for 20-something years and love it, but never really gave the other two much attention beyond a quick listen to each. Perhaps I was looking for something with the same emotional punch as "Dark Horse" from that debut disc, which you can't help but crank up loud. After having given this one a few spins, it has grown on me. It's a really nice, fun album that does what it's supposed to do very well.

Mix is a solid 10, it's insanely active, never a dull moment. Production, sound quality, all top-notch. This is how it's done. I can't justify giving this anything other than a 10.

Oh, and the song Adam was talking about 9 years ago is, "Sunday Morning After" ;-)

Haven’t listened to this one in awhile, but it’s an engaging title that deserves a re-release. If memory serves, one of the early 2000s Sony SACDs that was only released with a MC layer. By the mid-late 2000s it was still available to buy at regular prices, only to completely disappear. Now, if you want a copy, just saw only one for sale at $127 dollars on eBay.

So, Sony must not have made too many copies at the time, thus maybe why not too many votes. A shame, because a lot of the members here would absolutely enjoy the 2000s Sony OOP surround titles.

Haven’t listened to this one in awhile, but it’s an engaging title that deserves a re-release. If memory serves, one of the early 2000s Sony SACDs that was only released with a MC layer. By the mid-late 2000s it was still available to buy at regular prices, only to completely disappear. Now, if you want a copy, just saw only one for sale at $127 dollars on eBay.

So, Sony must not have made too many copies at the time, thus maybe why not too many votes. A shame, because a lot of the members here would absolutely enjoy the 2000s Sony OOP surround titles.

I was able to snag one just a short while ago for 43 Euros shipping included... So I got really lucky on this.

Back