Marshall Blonstein of Audio Fidelity at WAX Record / Music Collecting Event Oct/24-25

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I attended the Wax event in Hollywood today!

After doing a once-over on the general scene, I headed over to the Audio Fidelity table to see what they had brought out. There are a few titles I needed that are out of stock at some of the online retailers, and the table at WAX had them!!! I picked up two of the SACDs with 4.0 mixes that were on my list. Nice to get them direct and with no shipping cost added.

I met and preceded to grill Marshall Blonstein on everything I could think of related to the AF 4.0 series of quad releases. I asked him about about the possibility of four (Warners) titles I'd most like to see them release in the series. He had considered previously each of them and gave me the reasons why some were likely, unlikely, or impossible. A couple of my desired titles are totally out at this time. But surprisingly, the one I had some doubts about is in the cards! He wants to do it, but has other things in the pipeline already set that they are going on first.

Marshall then said "next" as to see "what else" was on my wish list? I kept on going with more albums I'd like from AF in this 4.0 series. I got to ask all of the questions. He even tipped me off to some things coming down the pipeline that are not yet officially announced. :shh: So that was totally cool. I got four titles out of him that are in or going into production (but not yet announced) in the quad / 4.0 SACD series. One thing he told me that will surprise some, is that AF is considering, or more than considering, they are actually pursuing two quad titles that have already been reissued (in stereo) not that long ago, and now being considered for their 4.0 SACD line. They are simply such strong titles, high quality (quad & stereo) recordings, that is makes sense business wise to have them in the catalog.

He could tell I was serious about this stuff, and said he was going to get lunch, and would I like to join him? So we walked down from the Capitol Records lot on Vine St. to Hollywood Blvd. and had a nice lunch over more industry chit-chat. How nice.

I got to talk to him about the difficulty of licensing titles from Sony vs. Warners vs. Universal. He explained that there is no block on quad from any of these labels, and that all are fine with what he has done and is doing. It's simply tapes not found, and often recent reissues (MFSL, AP, etc.) which we all know is one roadblock. And that a reply to a license request can take months, maybe even 5 to 6 months just to find out status. Sometimes the licensing fee is way out of the range of consideration. Artists sometimes want no reissues at all in any configuration. So it was good to hear that the labels agreeing is the least of the problems they sometimes face. For example, Warners is open to granting requests for their 4.0 tapes (pending artists' approval), but not now anything in 5.1. Interesting. Marshall stressed that the surround/quad crowd remains a small percentage of the buyers of Audio Fidelity product.

I was glad to hear him state which titles are not available to do at this time (if at all), so that I can get over them and not wait with expectations on something that is not happening. He said that tapes, the right tapes are sometimes impossible to get. And that he has received stereo analog reels that turned out to be recorded from a CD. That is how it is sometimes.

We talked some about his work in the record industry from ABC, Ode, Island, and forming DCC at the moment CDs were becoming white hot at retail. The guy knows everyone in town, and that I think has helped him in getting these a-list titles out on Audio Fidelity.

http://www.waxrecordfair.com/

Last edited:
That's pretty amazing that a person in his position was so accessible and down to earth....I hope this answers questions people have about AF's desire to bring these titles to the marketplace...it certainly isn't from a lack of effort...there is just a lot of obstacles to overcome...

Thanks Clint and Jim, yes, he was super down to earth and seemed interested in my thoughts and hopes about the product. It was great!

Very happy that you got to pick his brain and that you not only found things out and received information about the whole process (along with some scoops). There's nothing like sharing a meal with someone to loosen things up and make them more relaxed. You also walked away with two SACDs you wanted. Good for you! :)

Thanks Clint and Jim, yes, he was super down to earth and seemed interested in my thoughts and hopes about the product. It was great!

Thank you so much for taking the chance to approach Mr. Blonstein -- and did your bravery ever pay off.. (i'm too shy irl to do such a thing) ..all that scoop news you got wow!!

Its great that there's seemingly a healthy number of surround titles from Audio Fidelity in the pipeline and how wonderful that some of your most desired mixes are on the table.. and its good to know the lay of the land wrt the labels' stance (basically it would appear we can expect no further 5.1 from Warners on an Audio Fidelity release for the foreseeable - which in and of itself is very interesting, Warners must have plans in the works.. but Quads from Warner are a possibility.. and Universal and Sony are seemingly open to any surround suggestions, is that a fair assessment of what you were told quicksrt?).

Best of all its so heartwarming to hear he sounds like a really lovely bloke - I for one am just totally thrilled with what Audio Fidelity is doing with their Surround SACD programme. Every time one of their new Quad SACDs arrives I stop and take a little breath, look at it lovingly and with an air of disbelief and wonder (is this really Labelle's Nightbirds on Surround SACD?? Wow..).. then rip it right open to get at all that multichannel goodness as soon as possible..!! These are real "pinch me" times when I stop to compare whats happening now to when I first joined here, there's multiple new surround music titles to buy every single month, amazing.. hopefully things haven't peaked and this situation will only get better and better! Thank you once again, great job! (y)

"Lunch with Gina.. is forever..." :p

How about some Steely Dan from Audio Fidelity, oh Multichannel Maven...!? :eek:

Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 of Pretzel Logic would be a dream come true to finally hear in Surround..!

Gina?

The good news is that there is more Multichannel SACD to come from Audio Fidelity in the months ahead. Including a few surprises.
As those dates draw nearer, there will be some announcements from AF.

Stay tuned... :)

Gina?

The good news is that there is more Multichannel SACD to come from Audio Fidelity in the months ahead. Including a few surprises.
As those dates draw nearer, there will be some announcements from AF.

Stay tuned... :)

Here is the Gina reference

[video=youtube;6CyhBZ6ljiI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CyhBZ6ljiI[/video]

How about some Steely Dan from Audio Fidelity, oh Multichannel Maven...!? :eek:

Elliot Scheiner's 5.1 of Pretzel Logic would be a dream come true to finally hear in Surround..!

Why are we still continuing to request this title? It's a Universal 5.1 mix, and since Universal have never been in the habit of licensing out their 5.1 mixes to other labels, what makes any of us think a title like this one has any chance of getting released through anyone other than Universal themselves?
The one thing that does surprise me now is the fact that Warner Music no longer wants to license out their 5.1 mixes to Audio Fidelity, so it seems to me that unless Sony have some 5.1 mixes they're sitting on that have never been released on SACD before, it's likely that 5.1 is close to being dead as far as Audio Fidelity are concerned, making this a Quad-only series from here on out.

If that is indeed the case, it's unlikely that I'm going to suggest any more titles to Audio Fidelity as I really have no clue what's good or not good to reissue from the old Quad releases. I'll just let them do what they think is best, as their intuition seems to be pretty good so far. :)

Can someone please list somewhere here all the quads that Marshall/AF have said are not available to be done, for whatever reason, so we can stop asking for them?

You can have lunch with Gina all you want. Since this is a thread about Audio Fidelity, I'd rather have lunch with Roberta Ballard, thank you very much. ;)

Why are we still continuing to request this title? It's a Universal 5.1 mix, and since Universal have never been in the habit of licensing out their 5.1 mixes to other labels, what makes any of us think a title like this one has any chance of getting released through anyone other than Universal themselves?
The one thing that does surprise me now is the fact that Warner Music no longer wants to license out their 5.1 mixes to Audio Fidelity, so it seems to me that unless Sony have some 5.1 mixes they're sitting on that have never been released on SACD before, it's likely that 5.1 is close to being dead as far as Audio Fidelity are concerned, making this a Quad-only series from here on out.

If that is indeed the case, it's unlikely that I'm going to suggest any more titles to Audio Fidelity as I really have no clue what's good or not good to reissue from the old Quad releases. I'll just let them do what they think is best, as their intuition seems to be pretty good so far. :)

Message received and understood..

Some of my favourite old Quads (on the various Sony labels) I'd like Audio Fidelity to resurrect from the vaults include:

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings,
Aerosmith - Rocks,
Andy Williams - Andy,
Argent - In Deep,
Art Garfunkel - Breakaway,
Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare,
Azteca,
Barbra Streisand - Barbra Joan Streisand,
Barbra Streisand - The Stoney End,
Barbra Streisand - The Way We Were,
Billy Joel - Piano Man,
Billy Joel - Turnstiles,
Billy Paul - 360 Degrees Of..,
Billy Paul - War Of The Gods,
Blood Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits,
Blood Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image,
Blood Sweat & Tears - New City,
Blue Öyster Cult - Secret Treaties,
Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation,
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline,
Bob Dylan - Desire,
BT Express - Energy To Burn,
Buddy Miles Band - Chapter VII,
Burton Cummings - Burton Cummings,
Byrds - Byrdmaniax,
Chase - Pure Music,
Chicago - VI,
Chicago - X,
Dave Mason - Dave Mason,
David Essex - Rock On,
Earth Wind & Fire - Head To The Sky,
Earth Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World,
Earth Wind & Fire - Spirit,
Edgar Winter Group - Shock Treatment,
Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night,
Edgar Winter Group With Rick Derringer,
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody,
Herbie Hancock - Sextant,
Herbie Hancock - Thrust,
Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World,
Isley Brothers - Live It Up,
Janis Ian - Between The Lines,
Jeff Beck - Wired,
Jeff Beck Group,
Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm,
Johnny Mathis - I'm Coming Home,
Johnny Mathis - When Will I See You Again,
Johnny Nash - My Merry Go Round,
Johnny Winter - John Dawson Winter III,
Johnny Winter - Saints and Sinners,
Labelle - Phoenix,
Loggins & Messina - Full Sail,
Loggins & Messina - Native Sons,
Maynard Ferguson - Conquistador,
MFSB - Love Is The Message,
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom,
Mountain - Avalanche,
Neil Diamond - Serenade,
O'Jays - Family Reunion,
O'Jays - Message In The Music,
O'Jays - Survival,
Paul Simon,
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years,
Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon,
Phoebe Snow - Second Childhood,
Poco - Cantamos,
Poco - Seven,
Redbone - Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes,
Redbone - Message From A Drum,
REO Speedwagon - Lost In A Dream,
REO Speedwagon - This Time We Mean It,
Return To Forever - Musicmagic,
Rick Derringer - All American Boy,
Santana - III,
Santana - Welcome,
Ted Nugent - Free For All,
The Miracles - Love Crazy,
The Raiders - Indian Reservation,
Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now,
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin',
Wendy Carlos - Switched On Bach,
Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk.

Why are we still continuing to request this title?

Why? Because it's pure grade A bullshit that we aren't able to enjoy this mix that's been sitting in the vault for way too fucking long! That's why. I, for one, will scream, and shout, at the top of my lungs, to anyone and everyone, until someone in Universal gets their fucking head out of their ass, and releases this damn thing already. I don't care about "it's not available" "they won't license it" "someone else has done this"....for me, that doesn't change the fact that these titles are of significant importance that need to be reissued at some point. These aren't things to give up on, they are things to find a way to get out there, one way or another.

Thank you so much for taking the chance to approach Mr. Blonstein -- and did your bravery ever pay off.. (i'm too shy irl to do such a thing) ..all that scoop news you got wow!!

Its great that there's seemingly a healthy number of surround titles from Audio Fidelity in the pipeline and how wonderful that some of your most desired mixes are on the table.. and its good to know the lay of the land wrt the labels' stance (basically it would appear we can expect no further 5.1 from Warners on an Audio Fidelity release for the foreseeable - which in and of itself is very interesting, Warners must have plans in the works.. but Quads from Warner are a possibility.. and Universal and Sony are seemingly open to any surround suggestions, is that a fair assessment of what you were told quicksrt?).

Best of all its so heartwarming to hear he sounds like a really lovely bloke - I for one am just totally thrilled with what Audio Fidelity is doing with their Surround SACD programme. Every time one of their new Quad SACDs arrives I stop and take a little breath, look at it lovingly and with an air of disbelief and wonder (is this really Labelle's Nightbirds on Surround SACD?? Wow..).. then rip it right open to get at all that multichannel goodness as soon as possible..!! These are real "pinch me" times when I stop to compare whats happening now to when I first joined here, there's multiple new surround music titles to buy every single month, amazing.. hopefully things haven't peaked and this situation will only get better and better! Thank you once again, great job! (y)
That is a fair assessment on the situation Fred. Marshall knows music and he knows what has already been reissued. He explained his research strategy which includes asking his distributers in various territories what kind of advance order numbers he could expect on a given title. As an example, he asked all his distributors if they thought that "Birds of Fire" was a title that would be hot? Every one of them were positive about that title. So he went with it even though it includes no hit singles, and it's off the beaten track so to speak, a type of album he normally does not do. Fred, not only are a couple of my desired titles on the table, but a couple of your's are as well based on the list of Sony titles you pasted in to a post down the thread. I asked him about dozens and dozens of titles. I hit the jackpot a couple of times. I forget to ask about Aerosmith since I was running on pure memory and not having a list to work from. Marshall knows about the hot titles we also are interested in. He wants them as well for the series. It appears to me he is definitely covering the genres, going for the classic rock we love, the R&B stuff, singer-songwriters, jazz/rock/fusion, etc. This is what will continue this coming year.

He knows which titles he wants, finds out what is available, and also has consulted with Brian Bmoura and Jon Urban to get their valuable opinion of the quality of a given quad mix, and spoke highly of their expertise, and help in regards to quad.

Message received and understood..

Some of my favourite old Quads (on the various Sony labels) I'd like Audio Fidelity to resurrect from the vaults include:

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings,
Aerosmith - Rocks,
Andy Williams - Andy,
Argent - In Deep,
Art Garfunkel - Breakaway,
Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare,
Azteca,
Barbra Streisand - Barbra Joan Streisand,
Barbra Streisand - The Stoney End,
Barbra Streisand - The Way We Were,
Billy Joel - Piano Man,
Billy Joel - Turnstiles,
Billy Paul - 360 Degrees Of..,
Billy Paul - War Of The Gods,
Blood Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits,
Blood Sweat & Tears - Mirror Image,
Blood Sweat & Tears - New City,
Blue Öyster Cult - Secret Treaties,
Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny and Mutation,
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline,
Bob Dylan - Desire,
BT Express - Energy To Burn,
Buddy Miles Band - Chapter VII,
Burton Cummings - Burton Cummings,
Byrds - Byrdmaniax,
Chase - Pure Music,
Chicago - VI,
Chicago - X,
Dave Mason - Dave Mason,
David Essex - Rock On,
Earth Wind & Fire - Head To The Sky,
Earth Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World,
Earth Wind & Fire - Spirit,
Edgar Winter Group - Shock Treatment,
Edgar Winter Group - They Only Come Out At Night,
Edgar Winter Group With Rick Derringer,
Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Wake Up Everybody,
Herbie Hancock - Sextant,
Herbie Hancock - Thrust,
Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World,
Isley Brothers - Live It Up,
Janis Ian - Between The Lines,
Jeff Beck - Wired,
Jeff Beck Group,
Johnnie Taylor - Eargasm,
Johnny Mathis - I'm Coming Home,
Johnny Mathis - When Will I See You Again,
Johnny Nash - My Merry Go Round,
Johnny Winter - John Dawson Winter III,
Johnny Winter - Saints and Sinners,
Labelle - Phoenix,
Loggins & Messina - Full Sail,
Loggins & Messina - Native Sons,
Maynard Ferguson - Conquistador,
MFSB - Love Is The Message,
MFSB - Philadelphia Freedom,
Mountain - Avalanche,
Neil Diamond - Serenade,
O'Jays - Family Reunion,
O'Jays - Message In The Music,
O'Jays - Survival,
Paul Simon,
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years,
Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon,
Phoebe Snow - Second Childhood,
Poco - Cantamos,
Poco - Seven,
Redbone - Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes,
Redbone - Message From A Drum,
REO Speedwagon - Lost In A Dream,
REO Speedwagon - This Time We Mean It,
Return To Forever - Musicmagic,
Rick Derringer - All American Boy,
Santana - III,
Santana - Welcome,
Ted Nugent - Free For All,
The Miracles - Love Crazy,
The Raiders - Indian Reservation,
Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now,
Weather Report - Tale Spinnin',
Wendy Carlos - Switched On Bach,
Wild Cherry - Electrified Funk.

A couple of comments on this Fred, AF are working from the same list for quad as we all are. I do not know which of these are not available, but I can say a couple of them are available (really desirable ones too), and we are going to see them for sure.

I got the impression that Marshall and AF do not mind being reminded that we have our favorites and would really like to see them reissued. I would if I were you boil this list down to six of the most important titles to you, and keep that list posted every now and again. AF can release these in any order that they wish. It may as well be in the order you wish.

Last edited:
Back