Mary Fahl (former lead singer of October Project) releasing From The Dark Side of the Moon (FTDSOTM) in 5.1 Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't wait to hear this. As a fan since the early days (I was lucky enough to see October Project twice in the 90's) I've always loved Mary's voice.

Just wondering what other folks' shipping status is on this one? I got shipping notification on Thursday, but the USPS tracking page shows that although a shipping label has been created, it hasn't actually been handed over to the post office yet. Anyone else seeing the same thing? I can obviously understand if they're reluctant to head out to the post office with everything that's going on.
I just got mine. I'm in eastern PA. and Mary's in NJ, so all three of us are kind of in the same 'hood. I also got a shipping notification on Thursday (3:14 PM) and it was in today's mail (12:30 PM). It'll be at the top of tonight's listening list.

We NEED a poll thread for this:
1585440660521.png
MARY FAHL from the dark side of the moon

I started to write Mary about my feelings after one listen:

Mary! I mean, . . . Mary!

The first word that comes to mind is transcendent. forilla GODzilla--one of the great revisions (re envisionings) of one of the greats.

I stopped drinking and drugging a tad over six years ago. I found surround to try and replicate some of what I felt I lost. Tout se retrouve à nouvelle, indeed! Vraiment!

Some of the most mind-bending and engaging surround I have ever heard had me sonically submerged feeling like I and Eye were reading the Word--a spiritual trip toward Truth. Each track kept taking the concept to the next level. And then, from the surrealistic swirl emerges the indictment that "Money" was always meant to be--and so damn true in the 21st century last throes of exploitative capitalism!

Whaaa . . . ?! And then comes "Us and Them"!? Your insight from the interview and liner notes--

I'll finish when we get the poll thread--Stay Surrounded, Comrades!

We NEED a poll thread for this:
View attachment 48063
MARY FAHL from the dark side of the moon

I started to write Mary about my feelings after one listen:

Mary! I mean, . . . Mary!

The first word that comes to mind is transcendent. forilla GODzilla--one of the great revisions (re envisionings) of one of the greats.

I stopped drinking and drugging a tad over six years ago. I found surround to try and replicate some of what I felt I lost. Tout se retrouve à nouvelle, indeed! Vraiment!

Some of the most mind-bending and engaging surround I have ever heard had me sonically submerged feeling like I and Eye were reading the Word--a spiritual trip toward Truth. Each track kept taking the concept to the next level. And then, from the surrealistic swirl emerges the indictment that "Money" was always meant to be--and so damn true in the 21st century last throes of exploitative capitalism!

Whaaa . . . ?! And then comes "Us and Them"!? Your insight from the interview and liner notes--

I'll finish when we get the poll thread--Stay Surrounded, Comrades!
I've sent a BD to @rtbluray
Hopefully in due course a poll thread will be created, but I think the mods need the chance to verify that a release is legit and all that.

IMO, her rendition of "Money" draws on Waters' original vision more than the PF album track did. He always invisioned a bluesy kind of spoken-word thing. You can hear his demo on the Classic Albums Dark Side of the Moon video.

I've sent a BD to @rtbluray
Hopefully in due course a poll thread will be created, but I think the mods need the chance to verify that a release is legit and all that.

IMO, her rendition of "Money" draws on Waters' original vision more than the PF album track did. He always invisioned a bluesy kind of spoken-word thing. You can hear his demo on the Classic Albums Dark Side of the Moon video.

There will be a poll, but probably not until next weekend after I have checked out the release myself.

:)

There is no replacing the original DSOTM. That being said, this interpretation is amazing. Hypnotic, musical, adventurous. What a wonderful recording.
This mix is for sure system show-off material. Clear, spacious, detailed. I'm running out of adjectives to describe this disc. We are so fortunate to have it available to us.
Just like there is the classical version of The Planets and the Tomita electronic recording, we now have two marvelous versions of this modern classic. Let Mary take you to the dark side of the moon.
Many thanks to Mike, Rikpepe, and fellow QQ members for bringing this to our attention. Get this now. :) :smokin :SB🥃😵

Last edited:
There is no replacing the original DSOTM. That being said, this interpretation is amazing. Hypnotic, musical, adventurous. What a wonderful recording.
Just for some semblance of objectivity, I put on my copy of The Flaming Lips cover of DSotM before my interview with Mary and Mark. It did next to NOTHING for me.
It was fun. It was The Flaming Lips. It was fine. But Mary's version is truly something special. They did it for the right reasons, under the right circumstances. For me, at least.

I don’t mind the VAT hit as much as the £16 handling charge😡
I'm the same, I don't mind paying tax, but I get really p*ssed off that the government wants tax so gets other people to collect it, then makes us pay the tax gathering fee for something it wants. Almost as bad as insurance companies :ROFLMAO:

After listening to this last night I...……………...hit play a second time and listened to it again, from start to finish. This was not what I expected. I had never before heard the recorded version of this, only her live performance of it; so I was expecting something similar. Not even close. Brain Damage/Eclipse was about the only thing that sounded similar to what I remember from her live act. What a unique interpretation of this album! I always thought Money sounded a bit out of place on the original record, and thus was never one of my favorite tracks. Here, it takes on a completely different vibe and after only hearing it twice, is one of my favorite cuts on this record. And the mix is unreal! This is a 5.1 tour de force. Mark Doyle's arrangement of this material, along with Mary's voice is reason enough to hear this, but when you add Bob Clearmountain's mix this becomes a must have. I just sat there, no drink in hand, no nothing. Never dozed off (which occasionally happens), never even considered stopping it during my second listen. So if anyone's thinking this might be too expensive or they're subject to excessive tax or whatever, bite the bullet on this one. You won't regret it.

After listening to this last night I...……………...hit play a second time and listened to it again, from start to finish. This was not what I expected. I had never before heard the recorded version of this, only her live performance of it; so I was expecting something similar. Not even close. Brain Damage/Eclipse was about the only thing that sounded similar to what I remember from her live act. What a unique interpretation of this album! I always thought Money sounded a bit out of place on the original record, and thus was never one of my favorite tracks. Here, it takes on a completely different vibe and after only hearing it twice, is one of my favorite cuts on this record. And the mix is unreal! This is a 5.1 tour de force. Mark Doyle's arrangement of this material, along with Mary's voice is reason enough to hear this, but when you add Bob Clearmountain's mix this becomes a must have. I just sat there, no drink in hand, no nothing. Never dozed off (which occasionally happens), never even considered stopping it during my second listen. So if anyone's thinking this might be too expensive or they're subject to excessive tax or whatever, bite the bullet on this one. You won't regret it.

The recommendations on this thread, along with the fact that online sales are practically the only source of income for musicians and other performing artists right now, make this purchase a no-brainer--as long as you yourself are healthy and solvent!

I like both the Flaming Lips' alternately wacky and faithful cover album (which has seen excellent upmixes from both DKA and EoH) and Sam Yahel's imaginative jazz take (on the Chesky label, with a stellar example of David Chesky's patented one-mic surround technique), and I'm really looking forward to hearing this one, too.

Last edited:
Back