Mary Fahl (former lead singer of October Project) releasing From The Dark Side of the Moon (FTDSOTM) in 5.1 Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. I hope I put this in the right place. Please tell me if its not.​

Mary Fahl (former lead singer of October Project) is releasing her acclaimed recording of

From The Dark Side of the Moon (FTDSOTM)

in 5.1 Blu-ray in early 2020 (Feb/Mar)

In 2006 Mary Fahl climbed the Mt. Everest of music and recorded From The Dark Side of the Moon (FTDSOM). Her inspired interpretation of the iconic Pink Floyd album. Brilliantly mixed by the famous Bob Clearmountain who apparantly, since 2001, mixed every album he touched in stereo AND multi-channel.

Her record company at that time was -V2 Records – who typically made only stereo CDs. Apparently the only person to hear the multi-channel was/is Mary's guitar/producer Mark Doyle who is the other genius behind the sound of FTDSOM. To complicate matters V2 folded before the CDs went on sale leaving the album unreleased and languished until the rights reverted to Mary in 2011 who sold the stereo CDs at her concerts. The 5.1 became a memory and would not have survived if not for Mark who is a multi-channel maven too. He was the only one it seems who knew he was in possession of a rare and unique gem.

Tout se retrouve à nouveau - “All that is lost can be found again”.
My small part in all this? Fast forward to 2019. Over the years I became a friend of Mary and her husband/manager Rich Lutz. I did a Christmas video from her 2019 Holiday Album a song called "Walking in the Air" and they asked what they could do in return – of course I naturally said "let me mix an album in 5.1 please...”. They then told me that one already exists! Imagine my shock but only one copy existed with Mark. I eventually got the ISO of FTDSOTM as a DVD-Audio only without any video content. I listened to this 10 times (at least) in a row. Thus I became the second person to hear this mix in 13 years. My unbridled enthusiasm only added to what Mark knew already all those years but it got the ball rolling. So ends my 15 minutes of fame, but the world of surround now gets this rare gem.

I have every important multi-channel release since 1996, on every optical format. I think I know what is good by now- I have a disdain for boring conservative mixes and I love that Mr. Clearmountain does NOT play it safe. This is one of the best mixes I have ever heard. Granted, I may blinded by my appreciation of Mary's incomparable voice but I strongly believe I am right.

They are remastering FTDSOTM into a more universal surround format on Blu-ray - the disc will include the hi-res stereo and multi-channel in 24/88.2 -the work will be finished in early 2020 and I cannot wait to hear from all my fellow Quads and Multis and their opinions. You will be able to buy it from Mary's website when available. Check out her videos there and on YouTube (especially the FTDSOTM in concert) Then go see her in concert for yourself and become true believers too.

Here is a thorough review of FTDSOTM Mark Doyle

Rik Pepe

91n8Huw5zLL._SS500_.jpg

Thank you so much. Got my copy (personalized too!) in the mail yesterday. Great disc. Please thank her for releasing the surround mix. It is such a treat.

Mike, thanks for that interview with Mary and Mark, well done.
Another person involved in Mary's project is David Werner and I never heard of his music either so went down the rabbit hole and listened to below as I think its on Lp only as music never went to digital. Not bad at all, fairly catchy songs by David Werner and believe Mark Doyle involved in David's music as well.

David Werner-David Werner album from 1979

I love that album. Been a fan since the 80s. Now I've got to go dig it up somewhere. I thought I'd digitized it. Hmmm... Worth a listen for anyone who likes the early 80s rockin' new wave sort of stuff.

I knew I was going to ordered DSOTM by Mary as soon as it was going to be announced. I was thrilled to see the interview as well.
I think Mike did an excellent job at first setting up the interview so we could all see it. Presenting a performer up close and personal where you feel a connection to the artist is not an easy thing to do. You have to set the environment where the interviewee feels comfortable. What was presented was major to here and to the surround community
Mike hit this out of the park on all the above. Mike thank you for a job well done for bringing this to us I really appreciate the effort you put into this.

Mary said in an email she may well sign up to QQ, which would be great. I hope mine arrives on this side of the pond soon-ish, as having read other people's posts I think it may head to the top of the listen to pile on arrival :51QQ
Isn't she the coolest?
She is also looking it to selling this directly in the UK/EU and also at a download option!

I'm the same, I don't mind paying tax, but I get really p*ssed off that the government wants tax so gets other people to collect it, then makes us pay the tax gathering fee for something it wants. Almost as bad as insurance companies :ROFLMAO:
What I forgot to add is that, the tax gathering fee we get charged for the couriers to collect the tax, then pay it to the government, is usually way more than the tax! For a single disc the tax and fee can double the cost!

My personalized copy arrived today, and I have listened to it twice through. I really like the different takes on Pink Floyd's classic album. The mix is very active and is well-done to my ears. At times, it is centered and lush, and at others, appropriately frenetic. While this may not be for everyone, and it is a bit pricey for a stand-alone, I'll be coming back to this one often.

Received mine today as well. I think this will go on to be one of the standout releases of the year - I can't say enough good things about it. The performance itself is amazing, the reimagined arrangements are original and inventive, and the surround mix is so involving and intricate that it's difficult to describe exactly what's going on in each song. There's all kinds of ambient soundscapes and samples floating throughout the room, along with highly directional discrete effects and even some swirling pans. The 5.1 is an exponential upgrade over the already-impressive stereo mix.

Thanks to everyone involved in making this release happen!

"Us And Them"/"Any Colour You Like":
FDSOTM_6_7.jpg

Be sure to get a preview listen before ordering.
Not at all to my taste, sorry.
I think this is simply wise with every surround release. The best mix in the world can't make you like a style you just don't like.
We've all been in your shoes, where others are gushing over something that just isn't alluring. No harm. No foul.

Couldn’t this potentially be arranged with a presence on Bandcamp? Don’t know what the artist fees are.
Bandcamp doesn't have a direct way to do it. You have to set up your own google drives download, through an emailed pdf type of situation.
surroundmusic.one, however, supports surround downloads natively.

Would anyone please ping me when this is available to purchase from Europe? I'm listening to it right now (lossy wav DTS files) and it's fantastic. And I normally hate Pink Floyd covers, but this is beautifully reimagined and the mix is superb

Would anyone please ping me when this is available to purchase from Europe? I'm listening to it right now (lossy wav DTS files) and it's fantastic. And I normally hate Pink Floyd covers, but this is beautifully reimagined and the mix is superb
Mary me dijo por mail que estaba buscando un distribuidor en Europa. Yo me decidí a pedirlo en su web y viene de camino, aunque me temo que me llegará multa de aduana ya que lo envió por mensajería.

Mary me dijo por mail que estaba buscando un distribuidor en Europa. Yo me decidí a pedirlo en su web y viene de camino, aunque me temo que me llegará multa de aduana ya que lo envió por mensajería.
¿Cuánto han sido los gastos de envío? En el trabajo estoy teniendo problemas con las empresas de mensajería también, el último equipo que pedí se quedó bloqueado una semana en las aduanas de Doha.
Mil gracias!

¿Cuánto han sido los gastos de envío? En el trabajo estoy teniendo problemas con las empresas de mensajería también, el último equipo que pedí se quedó bloqueado una semana en las aduanas de Doha.
Mil gracias!

39,95 $ ademas de enviártelo firmado dice que:

For overseas orders, in light of your high courier/customs fees, included with your order will be a copy of my limited edition 4 song sampler (no longer in print) of my album “Love and Gravity”.

Back