Mary Travers Mary EV 4?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking through that ist again and saw that title. I didn't know there was any saw music in quad. I need saw music in quad like I need air

View attachment 9959
YES. I've never seen that.

Or this: 17 Billy & Garry Mure Quad Spectalar. I would like all of Billy Mure's records mixed for quad.

More on Jim Turner and his Well-Tempered Saw. But I seriously doubt that, technically speaking, the saw is well tempered. Not that it's angry or anything, but I don't think you can actually tune a saw.

Here is a photo a wonderful upgraded EV decoder. This can sound very very nice, maybe we will get Bob to get us a good ev title. Not sure if everyone wants the saw, though I did record this if so!
But maybe we can get him to do a beach boys title, I sent him some wonderful BB ev mixes. Could ask and see if they are something he can do. Give a good idea of what EV can decode to deliver.

100_4666.JPG

Here is a photo a wonderful upgraded EV decoder. This can sound very very nice, maybe we will get Bob to get us a good ev title. Not sure if everyone wants the saw, though I did record this if so!
But maybe we can get him to do a beach boys title, I sent him some wonderful BB ev mixes. Could ask and see if they are something he can do. Give a good idea of what EV can decode to deliver.

View attachment 10022

When you say upgraded, do you just mean that it's the later universal decoder or was this one upgraded or modded? If it was, do you have any details of what was done with it?

Thanks!

rustyandi said:
You may notice on the Beach boys
Surf's Up
It says that it will decode with a EV4 or DY system
but not say what encoding they use
on a number of early Quad LPs they say
it will decode on a number of systems
on the Beaver & Kraus LPs it says Quad but not witch one
ron

I came across a copy of Surfs Up at a record store yesterday and I looked the thing all over and could not find anything about Quadraphonic, DY, EV-4, Stereo-4. Where does it say that? Was it a sticker attached to the plastic?

"Carl and the Passions" says quad somewhere in the notes or on the album, at least in the two-fer with "Pet Sounds." This gets you nowhere with "Surf's Up," though. I have that one, too, and mine doesn't indicate quad, either.

Original pressings of SURF'S UP came with a lyric insert sheet that clearly states "This recording has been produced so that it may be enjoyed in stereophonic sound or quadraphonically, using the Dynaco and EV-Stereo-4-systems."

Obviously, if you find used copies, many of them will not have this insert; such things tend to get lost, alas.

ED :)

Sure enough, there is is. I just checked my copy and I have the insert. Now on the two-fer "carl and the passions" / "pet sound" gatefold, it says this for "Carl and the passions"--

"Recorded in ambient stereo, compatible with mono, center-channel quad."

Anyone care to interpret? Ambient stereo? Center-channel quad? Say what?

Sure enough, there is is. I just checked my copy and I have the insert. Now on the two-fer "carl and the passions" / "pet sound" gatefold, it says this for "Carl and the passions"--

"Recorded in ambient stereo, compatible with mono, center-channel quad."

Anyone care to interpret? Ambient stereo? Center-channel quad? Say what?

My best bet is that they are DY

on the S/Master it gives a synthesized stereo to the rear

DY has a rear mono channel like Dolby surround the 1st decoding
not pro logic 2

There was an interview with engineer Steven W. Desper where he described the Dynaco/Hafler set-up they listened through as they mixed. Not to say they didn't also use EV, I don't know. They also experimented with having every instrument recorded in stereo, which is not a standard way of doing it. I think that might be what they mean by Ambient Stereo. Desper did say somewhere the Carl and the Passions was quad, as the others. He is still around,posts and answers questions on some Beach Boys forum, and claims his book Recording The Beach Boys will be reprinted in an expanded edition. :sun

Ed Bishop said:
Original pressings of SURF'S UP came with a lyric insert sheet that clearly states "This recording has been produced so that it may be enjoyed in stereophonic sound or quadraphonically, using the Dynaco and EV-Stereo-4-systems."

Obviously, if you find used copies, many of them will not have this insert; such things tend to get lost, alas.

ED :)

The one I waas looking at had a generic WB advertisement sleeve. Probaably swaapped out or a later pressing. Thanks Guys!

With the whole Brian Wilson / Beach Boys resurgence in recent years, I don't know why they just don't release the DVD-A of "Surf's Up" that was apparently all ready to go. They did a "Pet Sounds" one and there's a couple other 5.1 Brian Wilson titles: Live at the Roxy and Smile. There's even a DTS CD of "Imagination." They could do a two-fer of Surf's Up/Carl in 4.0 or 5.1.

Let's get this confusion of the matrix systems straight.

DD - the original Dynaco diamond (F, L, R, and B speakers). Encodings are identical to Dolby Surround/PL-I except for no delay to B channel. I recorded the first known matrix sound effects tape for theatrical performance in DD.

DQ - Dynaquad - encoding is very similar to EV-4.

EV-4 - The original EV encoding. It is about halfway between DQ and QS.

QS - The Sansui matrix.

Scheiber - The same encodings QS gets, but cannot encode between the back speakers as defined.

I have a system that uses a 4-bus stereo mixer that can encode any of the above with no changes to the settings except where the settings for front end and the settings for back begin.

EV-44 - This is closer to SQ than to EV-4.

Metrotec - SDW-Q This is the EV-44 without the Auto position. The SQ position is the EV-44 Enhancement off position (SQ 10-40 blend), and the EV position is the enhancement on position. I have one and analyzed the circuitry.

I have no EV4 disc's that give the channel checks
So I don't know witch way it is intended to go
It just goes around
But as you see the other tracks have rear solo's
and don't drag the front stereo image
The track
It was a very good year
was from a Enoch Light LP EV4

There a list of EV4 LPs
a few are not EV4

EV4
1 Ovation OD/1
2 Beach Boys Surf’s Up
2A Beach Boys Surf’s Up(New Heavy Vinyl)
3 Beach Boys Sunflower
4 Jones Tommy Tommy’s Place
5 Bonnie Koloc After All This Time
6 Enoch Light Brass Menagerie
7 Enoch Light Brass Menegerie Vol.2
8 Enoch Light Permissive Polyphonics
9 Big Band Moog
10 QS-1 101 Strings Soul Of Spain Vol 3
11 QS-2 101 Strings Exciting Sounds
12 QS-3 Multiple Guitars
13 QS-4 101 Strings Todays Hits
14 Horn Paul & Concert Ensemble
15 Rich Mountain Tower
16 Hollins & Star Sidewalks Are Talking
17 Billy & Garry Mure Quad Spectalar
18 Sony Costanzo Sonny’s Song
19 Beaver & Kraus Gandharva
20 Travers Mary Mary
21 Crewe Bob Generation
22 The Flame (Brother Lable)
23 Johannesen Grant Plays American Piano Music
24 Schory Dick Movin’ On
25 Turner Jim Well Tempered Saw
26 Carl & Passions So Tough
27 Godzundheit
28 Erickson Tapes
29 Supercord Contempory
30 Dynaco 4 Demensional Demo Record
31 Pioneer 4 Channel Record PQX-1002
32 Otto 4 Channel Demo Nas-230
33 Otto 4 Channel Demo Nas-215
34 Otto 4 Channel Demo Nas-225
35 Fisher Test & Performance CD4-SQ
36 Quadrafile SQ-QS CD4-UD4 2 LPs
37 Mussorgsky Picutures At An Exibition (DBX Encoded)
38 Invasion U.S.A (Dolby Encoded)???
39 Holst The Planets St. Louis Sym. (DBX Encoded)
40 Beaver & Krause All Good Men
41 Strauss Richard Salome Don Jaun Cincinnati Sym. (DBX-QS)
42 A Slavonic Festival St. Louis Sym. Slatkin.(DBX-QS)
43 Beaver & Krause In A Wild Sanctuary
44 Ferrari Larry Encore
45 Tweedy Don Chorus & Orch
46 Salzedo Sonata Fraicheur. Adams Galante (Sound Storage)
47 Bondon Claude Debussy Carter Chamber Orch.(Sound Storage)
48 Carl & Passions So Tough/Pet Sounds 2 LPs
49 Otto 4 Channel Demo Nas-340
50 Florida All-State 1972 (3LPs)
51 Steele Ron Chicago Guitar
Many of the Ovation and Project 3 albums that were originally encoded in EV-4 were reissued, re-encoded in QS.

Back