Matching surround Speakers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course there are volume differences. That's why every AVR/AVP has a means to adjust gain and equalize those differences out.
If there are great differences with identical amps, then either one set of speakers is outside the range of the amp impedance range, or one set is much more efficient than the other.

I've had matching speakers always , back in the 70's 4 JBL Decades for quadraphonic.

And now the quadrant contains Paradigm Titans (2 .) and their updates* (2), bookshelf speakers.
But I do have a Polk for centre channel....why cause the Paradigm's are sold in pairs.
So where would I put the sixth ?

*no name given just a series of numbers for the titan replacements.

I think matching all the surround speakers is a nice goal. if you can do it But having them all be from the same manufacturer and size/quality is just about as good. If they make a center for a particular series then it's likely well-matched to the others.

Most engineers know people are more likely to have a dedicated center rather than a third to match the L&R and it's still pretty rare to mixes to use the surrounds as fully as the LRC. Atmos is obviously a non starter as the entertaining post about hanging monster B&W speakers from the ceiling noted. But again if you can stick to one brand they will keep you in the tonal zone (mostly).

If you use the system solely for music I guess a full size speaker for a center would be fine although it would be annoying to have to block the UI for the music, unless you can put it behind a screen or use a small monitor. But what about concerts etc where you have a visual element.

I'm very happy with my Martin Logan set up with Montis L&R a Stage center and their on wall aim-able Electrostats for surrounds. I'm cheating a bit with Barefoot monitors for the rear surrounds but I'll get another pair of the on walls shortly. My height speakers are the new ML Sistine in ceiling 3 ways and while they aren't electrostats they seem very well-matched tonally.

The first time I dropped the Tom Sawyer intro on this rig it blew the whole room up. Matter of fact, I think I'll do that again. Bye all.
IMG_4470.jpeg
IMG_4469.jpeg

If you use the system solely for music I guess a full size speaker for a center would be fine although it would be annoying to have to block the UI for the music, unless you can put it behind a screen or use a small monitor.
For music only, why presume that the display must be front and center? Why not use a monitor placed elsewhere, say, with a tablet or a laptop or a monitor on a rack near the seating position?

For music only, why presume that the display must be front and center? Why not use a monitor placed elsewhere, say, with a tablet or a laptop or a monitor on a rack near the seating position?
Yep, fair point and for 100% critical listening which I usually do with my eyes closed would be perfectly fine. But I also watch concert vids ( & even on occasion an Atmos movie) on my system, so I need the screen & center channel to coexist

I think matching all the surround speakers is a nice goal. if you can do it But having them all be from the same manufacturer and size/quality is just about as good. If they make a center for a particular series then it's likely well-matched to the others.

Most engineers know people are more likely to have a dedicated center rather than a third to match the L&R and it's still pretty rare to mixes to use the surrounds as fully as the LRC. Atmos is obviously a non starter as the entertaining post about hanging monster B&W speakers from the ceiling noted. But again if you can stick to one brand they will keep you in the tonal zone (mostly).

If you use the system solely for music I guess a full size speaker for a center would be fine although it would be annoying to have to block the UI for the music, unless you can put it behind a screen or use a small monitor. But what about concerts etc where you have a visual element.

I'm very happy with my Martin Logan set up with Montis L&R a Stage center and their on wall aim-able Electrostats for surrounds. I'm cheating a bit with Barefoot monitors for the rear surrounds but I'll get another pair of the on walls shortly. My height speakers are the new ML Sistine in ceiling 3 ways and while they aren't electrostats they seem very well-matched tonally.

The first time I dropped the Tom Sawyer intro on this rig it blew the whole room up. Matter of fact, I think I'll do that again. Bye all.View attachment 80897View attachment 80898
Off topic, but I'll leave myself to the mercy of the admins: You are surrounded not only by speakers but guitars. Would you like to give us a rundown?

Also, does your fuzzy kitty go near the Logans without her hair standing up? LOL

Off topic, but I'll leave myself to the mercy of the admins: You are surrounded not only by speakers but guitars. Would you like to give us a rundown?

Also, does your fuzzy kitty go near the Logans without her hair standing up? LOL
Heh, the cat actually comes in the room when I crank up the tunes. Maybe she digs the vibration. Here is a rundown on most of the guitars, I kinda wonder whether the acoustic ones add any vibration related sound to the mix (see, still on topic). https://twitter.com/JimHansonDC/thread/1155116650624106496

Yep, fair point and for 100% critical listening which I usually do with my eyes closed would be perfectly fine. But I also watch concert vids ( & even on occasion an Atmos movie) on my system, so I need the screen & center channel to coexist
I have another system for that where the display just clears the 3 floor-standing L/C/R speakers.

For surround speakers, these are placed in the four corners of the room. Since it is the same, the recording in which the instrument is localized to 360 degrees can be played correctly. A subwoofer is not required because the low frequencies can be reproduced sufficiently. If use it as it is, the low range will be lowered, but it can be improved by installing it in a corner or boosting it low. Also, in reality, they all have their feet attached and are used at the same height. By the way, the box is sealed and has a volume of 17 liters. The attached frequency characteristics are without low boost and with low boost. And, I don't use the center speaker because most of the time I listen to the sound source recorded 360 degrees equally.
無題.jpg

Last edited:
Back