Matrix H Articles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly "Rock Drill" is not the best of the albums. I'd looked at the boxset but I've most on earlier re-mastered CD so I decided against it at the price.

Sadly "Rock Drill" is not the best of the albums. I'd looked at the boxset but I've most on earlier re-mastered CD so I decided against it at the price.

I forgot to mention, I too am a SAHB fan, love that band and too bad he died so young. Well one has to wonder if any of his live appearances on the BEEB may be SQ or QS encoded.A slim chance probably even though the timing was right.

you lucky, lucky bugger you-got to see them LIVE !! I am in awe.:D(y)(y)

Well, it says "Also included are the only three existing songs from Alex’s first post-SAHB band, Quad, recorded for the BBC Radio 1 Alan Freeman show in March 1978." I don't know if Alex Harvey really had a band with the name "Quad", or if the remastering engineer just misinterpreted a remark on a tape box.

-Kristian

Well, it says "Also included are the only three existing songs from Alex’s first post-SAHB band, Quad, recorded for the BBC Radio 1 Alan Freeman show in March 1978." I don't know if Alex Harvey really had a band with the name "Quad", or if the remastering engineer just misinterpreted a remark on a tape box.

-Kristian

Sorry Kristian,

It was too good to be true afterall.
He did have a band called QUAD and the three songs mentioned are not the one's I have in HJ QUAD .Also the HJ QUAD songs were broadcast 29-04-78 , but thanks for the tip.

Yep! I think I first saw them late 1974 must have been around the time "The Impossible Dream" was released.

I forgot to mention, I too am a SAHB fan, love that band and too bad he died so young. Well one has to wonder if any of his live appearances on the BEEB may be SQ or QS encoded.A slim chance probably even though the timing was right.

you lucky, lucky bugger you-got to see them LIVE !! I am in awe.:D(y)(y)

Knowing what we know regarding the history of BBC MATRIX H QUAD and MATRIX HJ QUAD, it would be a thankful surprise if we saw more of the Quad discs that were mixed in discrete Q4 for use by the BBC back in 76-78.

We get two btw, with the release of JETHRO TULL'S-MINSTREL IN THE GALLERY and JETHRO TULL-TOO OLD TO ROCK AND ROLL, TOO YOUNG TO DIE. via Warner/Parlophone.

But I'm hoping one day soon to see the Q4 mixes from :

PHIL MANZANERA-801 BAND

THE BOOMTOWN RATS-TONIC FOR THE TROOPS

THE STRANGLERS-NO MORE HEROES

THE SENSATIONAL. ALEX HARVEY BAND-FRAMED

THE SENSATIONAL ALEX HARVEY BAND-ROCK DRILL

BEBOP DELUXE-DRASTIC PLASTIC

AND a few others.

All had album tracks mixed/encoded for broadcast by the BBC to show off their quad matrix H and HJ.
And that is assuming the WHOLE albums were mixed in quad for the BEEB or were mixed and with held .:smokin
(this was the case with the two Jethro Tull discs)

And of course there were live quad discs from the likes of JACK BRUCE BAND, BEBOP DELUXE, GENTLE GIANT, GENESIS
and others during the 77/78 experimental quad broadcast years.

One day maybe. :upthumb

Perhaps with the Gentle Giant request poll we can get a Discrete (blu-ray, dvd, dvda) copy of their BBC Sound and Vision Concert from Jan 78 which was broadcast in BBC QUAD MATRIX HJ.

This is one of the Concerts by Gentle Giant that I mentioned I would like to have in their live etc, box set. It sounds pretty good in BBC MATRIX HJ and hopefully the "survey " for Gentle Giant will produce this QUAD Concert and other's Quad or 5.1 surround.

This video concert is available on "Alucard" but only in BBC QUAD MATRIX.
For those who don't know the title is " GG AT THE GG" (Gentle Giant at the Golder's Green). :smokin

Derek

I was equally intrigued by your statement regarding having cassette tapes of H and HJ of BBC quad transmissions from 1977 & 1978. I also did check out the "Matrix H Articles" in the quad LP/CD section of QQ and found it very illuminating.

While doing my research in preparing my site, I found various bits of information regarding these illusive quadraphonic radio broadcast artifacts, but was not sure that I had a solid understanding of their origin or number of airings. The posts of yours and Duncan's on the Matrix H Articles thread certainly helps me get a better understanding for them.

But even with this I have a few questions:

- Relative to the dates you listed, were these the respective broadcast dates?
- Do you know the track titles for those numbers in parenthesis?
- Do you know if most of these were broadcast on Alan Freeman's show?
- "Jonathan King Quad Items (Jan 01-78)" - Was this a show hosted by Jonathan King, who also did a onetime broadcast of these Matrix H mixed tracks like Alan Freeman?

- Who is Odb?

Since I probably won't pursue trying to locate a 1970's, UK voltage, Matrix H decoder to play any of these recordings on (should I ever acquire some), can you describe the degree of discrete quad separation in these broadcasts. I realize that possibly much of your assessment may come from the cassettes in your collection(s), but similar to the questions Derek
asked of me, I'm curious as to:
- how the rear channels compare to that of BBC SQ LPs?
- are they as discreet as the label (WEA, RCA, etc) Q4 REELS?
This enquiring 'yank's' mind wants to know.

My reasons for asking these clarifying questions is that I am thinking of adding a new page to my index specifically forthese Matrix H broadcasts. While these did not get as far as being distributed by BBC TS on vinyl, they are still historic BBC quadraphonic radio broadcasts and are in sync with the intentions of my website index. Let me know if you are in agreement this thought and are willing to let me use your information this way. I'd be glad to credit all contributors by their QQ IDs or real name as desired. Please let me know

As a partial stab at this, I have tried to do a summary of what I extract from your exchanges. Any additions or corrections would certainly be appreciated.

Reformatted, Ordered Summary Of Presumed BBC Matrix H Broadcasts
(*Sorry, but my listing is in MM/DD/YYYY format)

Lone Star - HJ session (Sept./Oct. 76?)
Be Bop Deluxe - HJ live session
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Hear (complete album) (SAT-77)
[Note: This was officially released in the UK on 09/15/75.
Rory Gallagher - In Concert (06/04/77) rumored
[Note: This is the broadcast date of what I understand to be a BBC In Concert show issued on LP.]
Jack Bruce Band (04/30/77)
[Note: This is the broadcast date of a BBC In Concert show #150 issued on SQ LP.
Bonus - At The Lord Nelson (05/01/77)
Shakti w/John McLaughlin (05/28/77)
[Note: This is the broadcast date of a BBC In Concert show #153 issued on stereo LP.]
Lone Star - Lone Star (4) (06/25/77)
[Wiki states recorded 2/77 & broadcast 7/77 on Alan Freeman show. Or is this a different show?]
Andy Fairweather Low - Be Bop 'N' Holla (06 /25/77
Steve Gibbons Band - Right Side Of Heaven (07/30/77)
Colosseum 2 - Electric Savage (3), plus 1 from upcoming disc (08/27/77)
Racing Cars - title? (4) (10/29/77)
Phil Manzanera w/801 Band - title? (6) (11/26/77
Neil Ardley's Belief One - title? (12/18/77)
The Motors -The Motors (1) (01/02/78) (J.K. Quad Item
The Stranglers - No More Heroes (1) (01/02/78) (J.K. Quad Item)
Tom Robinson - title? (1) (01/02/78) (J.K. Quad Item)
Michele Delpeche - title? (1) (01/02/78) (J.K. Quad Item)
Tavares - title? (1) (01/02/78) (J.K. Quad Item)
Queen - News Of The World (4) (01/02/78)
Cliff Richard - Live In Croydon (01/02/78)
Genesis - Live In Knebworth (01/07/78)
Gentle Giant - Live Paris Theater (01/21/78)
Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery (3) and Too Old..... (1) (03/25/78)
Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Rock Drill (2) and Framed (1) (04/29/78)
Odb - title? (05/21/78)
Boomtown Rats - Tonic For The Troops (4) (05/27/78

While you may already know of the following, I wanted to let you know what I have come across in my research of BBC Matrix H radio broadcasts.

BBC Research Reports

BBC Report On Matrix Format Performances
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1974-29.pdf

BBC Report On Matrix Format Performances
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/reports/1977-02.pdf

Download Conversions Of Original Matrix H Broadcasts & Commercially Released LP/CDs

Lone Star The BBC Quadraphonic Session - Three tracks produced by Tony Wilson for the ‘Alan Freeman Saturday Show’
https://dreamingspiresquadarchive.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/lone-star-the-bbc-quadraphonic-session/

Alan Freeman’s Saturday Show ‘Xmas Eve Quad Special’ - The Steve Gibbons Band, Racing Cars, Andy Fairweather Low, Colosseum II, The Stranglers, The Motors, Phil Manzanera & Lone Star
https://dreamingspiresquadarchive.wordpress.com/2013/12/24/alan-freemans-saturday-show-xmas-eve-quad-special/

Gentle Giant
Golders Green Hippodrome, London, January 5th 1978 (MH) {The above concert has been issued on CD as "BBC Radio 1 In Concert" Windsong, WIN CD 066 (England) ('94) & and as part of a two-disc set, "Out Of The Fire" Hux Records, HUX008 (England) ('98). The latter and this bonus CD apparently contain a previously missing track. It was also issued on video as a DVD titled "Sight and Sound in Concert" Alucard UK B000EQ5VCW. The audio from the stereo broadcast is used for the DVD as well as the CD.

Pete Drummond's [edited for transmission] on-stage intro to the concert ("In Concert" #169, which was broadcast January 21, 1978) apparently stated: "Hello and welcome to Radio 1's [Sight and Sound] In Concert which you can hear on 247 metres on the Medium wave, in stereo on the Radio 2 VHF network, between 88 and 91 MegaHertz, and, [of course, you can see it on BBC2 in colour. And, as a special first for tonight's show, we're broadcasting in Quadraphonic so, those of you that have got a BBC H-matrix quadraphonic decoder, well.. you're very lucky and if you've got four ears you're luckier still!
http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadradi.htm

David Bedford – Instructions For Angels

This album is known as the only mainstream commercial album released in ‘Matrix H’.
https://dreamingspiresquadarchive.wordpress.com/2011/10/04/david-bedford-instructions-for-angels/

Also Derek, from your seemingly knowledgeable replies in that thread, are you possibly formerly a UK resident and possibly lived there during that era?

Last, Derek if you were trying to send me your email address, I apparently didn't read between the lines. If that was your intent, please toss it to me in a PM or send me an email at my site address of [email protected].

mrfloydin

Just to add to the info a little bit ;

More BBC MATRIX H for 77 broadcasts, specifically ;

THE STRANGLERS-NO MORE HEROES *
-Burning Up A Time
-No More Heroes

THE MOTORS-(1) *
-Dancing The Night Away
-Phoney Heaven
-Freeze

*s/b approximately 4 album tracks in each of these two BBC MATRIX H QUAD broadcasts, but these tracks I have confirmed after hearing a special H compilation years end (1977).

The exact broadcast dates I cannot yet supply, but likely a Saturday show on Alan Freeman's Quad Show.Would be between Summer 77 - December 77 , though.

If I can narrow it down, then all complete tracks from the albums we will know . Amazing work The BBC QUAD Program was as Tony Wilson (quad encoding engineer for the "BEEB"), had the good fortune to encode in quad these Q4 tapes supplied by the Record labels (EMI , MERCURY, CHRYSALIS, etc). And of course it begs the question , do the labels still have these QUAD discrete tapes in their archives ! Are they all Full albums in Q4 (unreleased !) , as is the case for the two Jethro Tull's Tony got to encode ?
Boy am I ever "pining" for some of these quad masters to see the light of day , via Blu-ray or DVD !!!!

All I can do is ask : What's the "H" ing holdup ?!!?

Fizzy wants his "Heroes" well....Stranglers. :smokin:cool:

Queen-News Of The World is being released in a deluxe version and includes both " BBC Sessions "and "alternate takes ".

There were at least four tracks from this album broadcast in BBC MATRIX H (or HJ) back in the latter part of 77 , but not having that broadcast I can't say for certain what the tunes were exactly.

Alternate Takes is a likely candidate (cd2) for BBC MATRIX H QUAD I think but I could be wrong, and it could be the 4 BBC Sessions as indicated.

Anyways here is the listings for that box which may contain those 4 quad tracks.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/l...s-from-the-forthcoming-news-of-the-world-box/

Curiouser, and curiouser. :D

I was under the impression that 4 tracks were taken from the Queen album News Of The World, but this link states it was live in the studio , mixed in H by Mike Robinson .

So.........

Well here's the link anyways.

http://www.queenzone.com/download/1231524/bbc-session-6-master-copy.aspx

Anyways cd3 from the box set, does fit with those selections "BBC SESSIONS" :upthumb

Info on a separate thread in this section from qq 's Ingresman......

States both......Elvis Costello

and...................Uriah Heep

were both broadcast in BBC Matrix H.
So that's 2 additional artists I was unawares .

Info on a separate thread in this section from qq 's Ingresman......

States both......Elvis Costello

and...................Uriah Heep

were both broadcast in BBC Matrix H.
So that's 2 additional artists I was unawares .

Correction,

That s/b a maybe for those two artists...........all the others mentioned did come out with H/HJ though via EMI.

It should be noted in order of the article as posted* by qq member ingressman on june17 2008,

QUEEN , THE JACK BRUCE BAND , (uriah heep), THE MOTORS , THE STEVE GIBBONS BAND , (elvis costello ) all but the bracketed did come out in quad broadcasts for H/HJ .
The bracketed are mentioned as well , but are unconfirmed , up til now anyways.

Also from EMI came JETHRO TULL in HJ quad .(also The Stranglers, Be Bop Deluxe )

Last edited:
Over on the ‘What’s the latest matrix LP added to your pile?’ thread I showed my recent acquisition of a copy of the BBC Transcription Services demonstration LP entitled “BBC Radio Presents Matrix H”
( https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ed-to-your-pile-sq-qs-rm-ev.14936/post-418559 ) :

The LP comes with some documentation which may be of interest to anyone researching the history of the Matrix H system, so I’m sharing it here.

The LP was sent out to radio departments throughout the UK in June 1977 with a covering letter from the Chief Engineer, Radio Broadcasting. The highlighted addressee shown makes it clear that this copy was sent to the Head of Engineering for the Manchester region. The letter explains the reason for the distribution of the disc (it would be fascinating to find any of the evaluation feedback he got in response) :

The disc itself is accompanied by a set of notes which describe in detail the nature of the tracks, how they were recorded and the intended surround imaging. There is an interesting mix of music and, uniquely, drama (the BBC was keen on the opportunities that quad afforded to radio drama and broadcast many plays in quad when Matrix H went live – I remember hearing “The Tempest” and being amazed by it) :

The last page of the notes booklet makes reference to the co-operation with five other specific EBU broadcasters that was being undertaken at the time :

Given the commitment that BBC made to the format and the interest of other broadcasters it is shame that Matrix H was allowed to fizzle out just as it was reaching a high state of maturity. We can only dream of what might have been!

Last edited:
BTW, Soundfield.......good catch on that very rare Matrix H record.

You and rustyandi are the only two I know that have it.

Of note , on the December 76 audience tests at the BBC they played some or much of this lp as well as some material not on the album.

I believe electronic music (maybe fr Bill Aitken) and some tracks from The Last Goon Show.

BTW, Soundfield.......good catch on that very rare Matrix H record.

You and rustyandi are the only two I know that have it.

Of note , on the December 76 audience tests at the BBC they played some or much of this lp as well as some material not on the album.

I believe electronic music (maybe fr Bill Aitken) and some tracks from The Last Goon Show.

Hi Fizzy, thanks, yes its a fascinating disc.
I wasn't aware of any "audience tests" in Dec 76 - do you have any info?

Oh and btw,

I was searching up titles in quad (SQ) of the BBC Transcritions and noticed that there is an lp marked stereo of the Genesis -At Knebworth , broadcast in July 78.

That lp s/b in Matrix HJ .

I know a few interested QQ'RS wanted very much to obtain a copy of that Genesis Quad show , and it was presumed the only copy was in some library archive in Britain without public access.

The Dec 76 public test of BBC Matrix H

Selections Highlighted in green.

View attachment 42292View attachment 42293View attachment 42294View attachment 42295

Thanks Fizzy that’s very interesting.

But it wasn’t a public test of Matrix H (I don’t believe there was any such thing) it was clearly a private demo session purely for Angus McKenzie in his (self appointed and unofficial!) role of independent technical QC auditor for BBC FM broadcasts (and who I was lucky enough to meet some years later) :

Capture.JPG

In much the same way that Lynn Olsen was offered the opportunity to examine what the BBC were up to (his interview on the subject linked from here https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/sq-shadow-vector-soundfield-mapping.25293/post-423202 )

And the press.

Lucky Angus got 2 private attendance though (his home as well)...plus they made him a copy for home listening.

I read somewheres there were tickets avail to the public, but that may have been for later sessions throughout 77/78.

20190807_164539.jpg
20190807_164756.jpg
20190807_164729.jpg

Back