Matrix LPs and Record Store Day (RSD) Reissues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
This is a warning for those of you who like to play Matrix LPs!

After a long and arduous search for the long out of print 1973 QS encoded album "Saracho - En Medio" I finally thought I had struck gold with a reissue of it on RSD. These 1973 LPs can be found easily on places like discogs, but mostly go for the $80 range for anything in half way decent shape. I waited patiently for a couple of years trying to snag one for a better price; maybe $40-50 for a NM one, which is still pretty steep, but just wasn't having any luck.

here's the discogs for the 2022 RSD reissue-
https://www.discogs.com/release/25282093-Saracho-En-Medio
But once I got it in and played/converted it to digital, it was obvious that it no longer had the QS encoding intact. What made me believe that it was a good bet to try, was that the rear cover messaging stating that it was a Matrix LP, was still there; well they lied, or at the least the label had no idea about what they were doing!

Quad message.jpg

So recently when a VG+ offer for a decent priced original 1973 version hit discogs I grabbed it, mainly because I really wanted this one badly and was tired of waiting (I ain't gettin' any younger!)

It sure wasn't quite as clean sounding as the fresh RSD reissue, after all it's a 50 year old used LP and who knows what styli it's been under even though it looks clean.

Luckily it didn't need too much De-Click/Crackle & noise reduction and I'm finally able to enjoy it.

But for those of you wondering about this one; it's some nice Latin Jazz-Rock music.

Here's some wave screen grabs of the very surroundy 'Señor Baker' for both (via the Involve Surround Master v2 recorded in flat.)

2022 version

SENOR BAKER 2022 WAVES.jpg

Original 1973 waves of Senor Baker-

1973 Senor Baker wave.jpg

folder.jpg

Attachments

• SENOR BAKER 2022 WAVES.jpg
    SENOR BAKER 2022 WAVES.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
This is a warning for those of you who like to play Matrix LPs!

After a long and arduous search for the long out of print 1973 QS encoded album "Saracho - En Medio" I finally thought I had struck gold with a reissue of it on RSD. These 1973 LPs can be found easily on places like discogs, but mostly go for the $80 range for anything in half way decent shape. I waited patiently for a couple of years trying to snag one for a better price; maybe $40-50 for a NM one, which is still pretty steep, but just wasn't having any luck.

here's the discogs for the 2022 RSD reissue-
https://www.discogs.com/release/25282093-Saracho-En-Medio
But once I got it in and played/converted it to digital, it was obvious that it no longer had the QS encoding intact. What made me believe that it was a good bet to try, was that the rear cover messaging stating that it was a Matrix LP, was still there; well they lied, or at the least the label had no idea about what they were doing!

View attachment 89926

So recently when a VG+ offer for a decent priced original 1973 version hit discogs I grabbed it, mainly because I really wanted this one badly and was tired of waiting (I ain't gettin' any younger!)

It sure wasn't quite as clean sounding as the fresh RSD reissue, after all it's a 50 year old used LP and who knows what styli it's been under even though it looks clean.

Luckily it didn't need too much De-Click/Crackle & noise reduction and I'm finally able to enjoy it.

But for those of you wondering about this one; it's some nice Latin Jazz-Rock music.

Here's some wave screen grabs of the very surroundy 'Señor Baker' for both (via the Involve Surround Master v2 recorded in flat.)

2022 version

View attachment 89930

Original 1973 waves of Senor Baker-

View attachment 89931

View attachment 89928

That's quite a journey, Pup! Would love to hear that one, myself.

Last edited:
Back