Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One last one I recently received in the mail.

All these albums were "single inventory" SQ QUAD.
This particular album was the second POPOL VUH SQ vinyl I purchased back in the day.....and this edition had the appropriate SQ QUADRO indications re Cosmic Couriers.

Einsjager & Siebenjager , by POPOL VUH....SQ CD

Ok đź‘Ś
16962950623612910729329513760690.jpg

Actually, EV-4 was around for almost a year before any of the other systems (except Dynaco diamond) were used for released material. Many of the early EV-4 records just said "Quadraphonic" with no other reference to matrix type. They assumed that EV-4 would be the standard.
Project 3 and Ovation used stickers on the shrink wrap that had the EV Stereo-4 logo. Project 3's referred to the record being "the NEW stereo", and had the EV logo. Ovation's sticker said the album was quadraphonic/stereo, and also had the EV logo. Both also stated the record was playable on any stereo system, as well. I believe Golden Crest did something similar, too.

Project 3 and Ovation used stickers on the shrink wrap that had the EV Stereo-4 logo. Project 3's referred to the record being "the NEW stereo", and had the EV logo. Ovation's sticker said the album was quadraphonic/stereo, and also had the EV logo. Both also stated the record was playable on any stereo system, as well. I believe Golden Crest did something similar, too.
midimagic - According to a quadraphonic expert elsewhere, the first commercial matrix system, encode/decode, was DY, closely followed by EV.
jaybird100 - Yup, agree.

Fizzy, it is ambient or discrete?

Well it's Live , so I don't expect a lot of quad action, Ralpheè

But I'll give it a spin later (got it in the mail today) , and report if it's got some discreet elements.

I'm doing my best to obtain on cd , both BB KING and J L Hooker 's quad albums , that were QS matrix encoded , and John Coltrane's on Impulse.

Well , now I have my final John Coltrane quad album, on CD. IMPD 2-168

This album consists of three albums all from the John Coltrane /Van Gelder Africa Brass recording sessions in 1961, but one album was remixed and encoded in QS back in 1972 by Ed Michel/Baker Bigsby team.
The rest remain as they were.

Only Africa Brass Sessions Vol Two Impulse AS 9272 ...is QS.
Which is 2 tracks on disc one and one on disc two. So 1-2 , 1-3 , 2-1.

17115915392947427121810411934766.jpg
17115915801991669519643251254954.jpg

Well , now I have my final John Coltrane quad album, on CD. IMPD 2-168

This album consists of three albums all from the John Coltrane /Van Gelder Africa Brass recording sessions in 1961, but one album was remixed and encoded in QS back in 1972 by Ed Michel/Baker Bigsby team.
The rest remain as they were.

Only Africa Brass Sessions Vol Two Impulse AS 9272 ...is QS.
Which is 2 tracks on disc one and one on disc two. So 1-2 , 1-3 , 2-1.

View attachment 103930View attachment 103931
One of my favorite Coltrane albums, actually. Would be interested to know how it sounds!

One of my favorite Coltrane albums, actually. Would be interested to know how it sounds!

Kinda ambient for the most part , but you can't beat Coltrane's sound from these disc's.
Well , maybe you can but just a hair. My fave has got to be his Live In Seattle (QS) Encode . But make certain you pick the right Live In Seattle disc as there are two . I believe there is one from 1966 , the quad one is a 2 disc set from 1965 Impulse AS -9202 -2 which credits Ed Michel , Baker Bigsby, Alice Coltrane and Pharaoh Sanders.

It's kinda cool the way Ed Michel/Baker Bigsby renewed these 60'S albums for quad, with the cooperation of Alice Coltrane and Pharaoh Sanders.

Back