Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally replaced my missing Spies cd ,arrived today.

16504968787822080536539103644680.jpg
16504969217833681713424435826093.jpg

One of my few favourite albums from Telarc. This one uses Shure Stereosurround HTS .

Wikipedia claims this was the first record to use StereoSurround?

Yeah that's pretty much quite likely. Besides Intersound/Pro Arte ( whom released many, and I mean many in HTS ) ,I have a test/demo cd on Essex Records with 4 or 5 tracks in HTS.

There is the possibility of selections (on Warner Records) from the 89 or 90 Grammies as well ,as they were broadcast in HTS.

And additionally I have some music selections recorded off TV stereo from 89/90 SNL .

But it befuddles me as to why Telarc didn't continue to use HTS for their cds.

@Mark Anderson
It's about time you asked:) And here's the story :

Sometime back in the 90's or late 80's I was a subscriber to Audio Ideas Guide . A Canadian publication, with mostly high end (expensive) ,but every once in a while the author/publisher Andrew Marshall would discuss surround developments.
In one of these issues he mentioned he encoded some albums on the CBC label ,mostly Classical and also mostly electronics artists. He mentioned that it was Primarily The Canadian Electronics Ensemble.

He did this as an audio engineer and because CBC Stereo FM Toronto had a basic SQ Sony Encoder.
When an Audio Engineer admits that they quad encoded unbeknownst music ,that just makes my day.

Well being the quad sleuth that I am I wrote him a letter asking what titles he encoded specifically. Now Probably being paranoid, I'm guessing , he sadly did not reply . That's too bad as this is my pet peeve ,and I always suspected there were some albums out in the world quad encoded because the engineer did so for whatever reasons ,one being ease of operation.

So that's about where it stands . We have a group ,but no titles specifically. And Also some unnamed Classical albums SQ encoded on the CBC Label. These would be Stealth SQ Encoded.

Wait a minute: is this the same CBC engineer who ( erroneously ) claimed the Mobile Fidelity "dark side of the moon" LP's were pressed from a quad encoded source?

Allright here is some info:

David Jaeger "in those days Andrew would encode anything that struck his fancy”

The band was unaware the album was encoded into quad. But he fed stereo source material into his SQ encoder at CBC, so they are saying if it's quad, it's likely fake quad.

All the masters & multitracks of that CEE album were lost in a fire, so the new 2019 version was sourced from an original sealed LP, then tweaked with modern DAW tools to remove surface noise/audience sounds, and remastered. It sounds really great!!

Also a back cover shot, from the LP:

Back Cover.jpg

Back