Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 cd set ,but only L A Midnight is in QS.

View attachment 78382
I love BB King but don't have these! I read a couple of reviews of the CD on amazon and it said the Tubas playing the Bass line on 3 tracks were missing from the mix but that they are on the original LP, and moaning about this release being a bad remix! So did the original Quad LP not have the Tuba on it?

I love BB King but don't have these! I read a couple of reviews of the CD on amazon and it said the Tubas playing the Bass line on 3 tracks were missing from the mix but that they are on the original LP, and moaning about this release being a bad remix! So did the original Quad LP not have the Tuba on it?

No not a remix Duncan ,but a remastered cd. Tuba solo ? 😀
I don't remember, because of the time factor ,but I am disappointed that I sold my vinyl album years back. As to Tuba, how would you know ? This was an S I .

I'm wondering if the 2nd album is a mix down from the 4ch Discrete tapes?(it was released as a Q8)

John Lee Hooker ,in QS. An Ed Michel/Baker Bisby thingy.

16516216989195259113125572140562.jpg
16516217498122230319865124469168.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention....Joe Walsh plays guitar on 3 of the tracks . Gotta ❤ that Joe Walsh guitar playing (3 guitarists) with BB KING and Jesse Ed Davis.

Awww Gee whizz.

My cd does not have that very cool , top right hand corner Quadraphonic lp indicator .
Come to think of it .....I don't think many of the S.I. quad vinyl ABC , Impulse , Bluethumb , or Bluesway albums did that ?
Oh well , I need ...one bourbon ,one scotch ,and one beer !! 😀
The LP's did have some indication that they were quad, either on the cover, the label, or both. Some referred to being encoded with the "standard matrix", which those not in the know might think is SQ. Still others used the "regular matrix" verbage, while others, mostly the Command quads, left you guessing. ABC didn't want to pay Sansui the royalty fee to use the QS logo on their records.

The LP's did have some indication that they were quad, either on the cover, the label, or both. Some referred to being encoded with the "standard matrix", which those not in the know might think is SQ. Still others used the "regular matrix" verbage, while others, mostly the Command quads, left you guessing. ABC didn't want to pay Sansui the royalty fee to use the QS logo on their records.
That is something that I never understood. You would think that Sansui would want the QS logo on everything QS. To say that you can use it (QS encoding) but don't tell or advertise the fact or we'll have to charge you for it, IDGI!

A little OT...did ABC buy Sansui QS encoders, or did they find some way to get an encode close to QS, but not QS (maybe built their own encoder)?

When Universal switched over to using DTS, their pre-recorded videotapes began to say "STEREO SURROUND" because they stopped using a Dolby Surround encoder and began using a DTS encoder (that encoded the content in a way very similar to Dolby Surround).

Kirk Bayne

IIRC, Universal was a part investor in DTS, I think the Shure trade name and the choice of videotape name by Universal is/was just a coincidence.

There was/is also Ultra Stereo, which was just different enough from Dolby Surround to get separate IP, but close enough to decode with theater and home Dolby Surround decoders.

Kirk Bayne

A little OT...did ABC buy Sansui QS encoders, or did they find some way to get an encode close to QS, but not QS (maybe built their own encoder)?

When Universal switched over to using DTS, their pre-recorded videotapes began to say "STEREO SURROUND" because they stopped using a Dolby Surround encoder and began using a DTS encoder (that encoded the content in a way very similar to Dolby Surround).

Kirk Bayne
ABC would've used Sansui encoders. There was a Sansui QS newsletter as well that always listed the new QS releases. I also remember seeing ads/promos there for new ABC Command QS releases. It's just that the record label, nor the jacket stated QS, or else they would have to pay a fee or royalties, weird!

Kirk Bayne

Yes they did ,and very early on in the 70's.

Ed Michel/Baker Bigsby , Rob Frabroni , Rick Heenan , ☆Roger Nichols -just to name a few ,favoured working in
Q S at The Village Recorders in LA .
I also reported somewheres probably ( QS items of interest) , that a large number of ABC FM affiliates had QS Encoders.

☆surely my favourite Q engineer

When Universal switched over to using DTS, their pre-recorded videotapes began to say "STEREO SURROUND" because they stopped using a Dolby Surround encoder and began using a DTS encoder (that encoded the content in a way very similar to Dolby Surround). "Stereosurround" was Shure's system, not DTS's.

Kirk Bayne
They actually used Sansui encoders. There was no Dolby Surround in 1972, when the first Command Quadraphonic albums hit the market. There was a picture of a Sansui encoder in the gatefold of the first several albums.

IIRC, Universal was a part investor in DTS, I think the Shure trade name and the choice of videotape name by Universal is/was just a coincidence.

There was/is also Ultra Stereo, which was just different enough from Dolby Surround to get separate IP, but close enough to decode with theater and home Dolby Surround decoders.

Kirk Bayne

Well if you want to get techy into film surround systems there was also Chace Stereo Surround . Which was used primarily for early surround restoration of stereo and mono film soundtracks.
The early first Rocky Horror Picture Show utilized this form of Surround.

Also,used prodigiously by Turner TV Network colourized films.

Shure Stereosurround (HTS) was used by the Grammies broadcasts in 89 and 90 ,as well as Saturday Night Live 89/90 . WGN Chicago broadcasts for Cubs Baseball w Harry Carey , and some other WGN broadcasts.
And on PBS for The Great Circus Parade ,from Bariboo Wisconsin.

Now back to quad cds.

I listened today to the John Lee Hooker ,QS CD Free Beer And Chicken , in Dolby Surround◇
Not bad ,in fact I recommend it. It won't blow your hat off from behind... but quad is evident.

Same goes for the BB KING LA Midnight. QS CD
And they are both an enjoyable listen.

◇Sorry I just haven't hooked up my Surround Master decoder yet.

Actually, EV-4 was around for almost a year before any of the other systems (except Dynaco diamond) were used for released material. Many of the early EV-4 records just said "Quadraphonic" with no other reference to matrix type. They assumed that EV-4 would be the standard.

L.A. Midnight is one of my favorite Q8’s. A very nice tape and the tuba is a nice touch. Jesse Ed Davis and Joe have some nice leads. B.B.’s voice is as good as it gets. Cool jams and they all sound like they’re having fun. Bass heavy too so can feel it.

Went thru this thread, has anyone run across an EV Stereo-4 matrix encoded CD (maybe a Project 3/Enoch Light title)?

Discogs says there's an unofficial UK CD of the first Rich Mountain Tower album.

The versions of that album I've sampled on streaming services decode identically to the vinyl through the SM.

Back