Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there fellow quad heads!!

Anyone of you know if this Seraphim LP listing from Mark's discography page ;

SIH-6093 (SQ) [8 LP] L.V. BEETHOVEN: The Nine Symphonies
(complete) "Promsthsus" Overture; "Egmont" Overture; "Leonore"
Overture No. 3 (Kempe/Munich Philharmonic)

is actually included in this Seraphim CD sold in "Amozon"?

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Sym...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199449200&sr=1-6

at least the Pastoral directed by Kempe....

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller???

Cheers...

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Sym...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1199449200&sr=1-6

If the "SPARS Code: ADD" indication is correct, then this would be a stereo remix.

J. D.

2 more Classical ones that are listed as Angel SQ LP's in the Mark Anderson page;

1-
Artist/Title of release:
DVORAK-Symphony no. 9 "From the New World"/SMETANA "The Moldau"(Vltava)/ Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert Von Karajan

Cat. no. CDM-7 69005 2

SQ Encoded

2-
Artist/title of release;
SIBELIUS-Finlandia(Symphonic poems)/Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert Von Karajan

Cat. no. CDM 7 69017 2

SQ encoded

This one might be an infield pop (since I think it's also available as a DTS CD , I prefer the CD version cause I can play it anywhere), but it's another one from the EMI/Angel 1970's SQ encoded batch that nobody had ventured to decode from cd's, only from LP's (as far as I have read in here)...available at California's desert (rat)...

Artist/Title:
Debussy Complete Orchestral Works vol. IV
Orchestre National de l'ORTF-Jean Martinon, et. al.

Cat no.
CDM 7 69668 2

Encoding;
SQ

If the "SPARS Code: ADD" indication is correct, then this would be a stereo remix.

J. D.

Hello JD,
I was reading this thread and...
Which EMI CDs have you found out are not SQ encoded?
All 3 CDs I have found are "ADD" but retain the encoding...or else I'd have gotten nothing in the Rear channels after decoding...

Hello JD,
I was reading this thread and...
Which EMI CDs have you found out are not SQ encoded?
All 3 CDs I have found are "ADD" but retain the encoding...or else I'd have gotten nothing in the Rear channels after decoding...

Not necessarily. SQ decoding of stereo recordings can place sound in the rear channels due to phase differences in the recorded sounds. As an experiment, decode any stereo classical recording you have that you know is *not* quad. It is likely that there will be some sort of sound coming out of the rear speakers.

J. D.

Not necessarily. SQ decoding of stereo recordings can place sound in the rear channels due to phase differences in the recorded sounds. As an experiment, decode any stereo classical recording you have that you know is *not* quad. It is likely that there will be some sort of sound coming out of the rear speakers.

J. D.

Gotcha,
i.e., the only time I tried to decode something that wasn't SQ I got zilch out of the rear speakers.
Of the 2 VKarajan ones, it decoded half of the orchestra at the rears; the Debussy one was mostly ambience,but in 2 of the 3 CD's(Dvorak & Debussy), the rears were louder than the Fronts, which leads me to believe(and to hear) that there was more than just a stereo mix...

Passing a normal stereo signak thru DPLII does give you some rear info , but nowhere near as loud or as precise as these conversions....

Which ones have you tried decoding from these EMI ones on CD and got zilch?

I'm interested since there are a lot of these 70's Classical LPs on CD now, which I'm looking forward to decoding, and some input from experinced folks would be appreciated...

With a decent pair of monitors that have a somewhat linear phase response you can actually hear the rear channel when played back in
conventional stereo. It's because sounds in the rear channel will be out of phase. It's kind of subtle on certain speakers and you might
have to lean in closer than you normally would to hear the illusion of the sound coming from the rear. It's really easy to hear on my
monitors - I think this might be because of phase plugs in the mid drivers.

Sometimes it can be phase manipulation and sometimes it can be mic placement/choice that can produce this effect. I would think
that older recordings using stereo ribbon mics could have this effect - since sounds that hit the back of old ribbon mics is phase
reversed.

The following is a listing of modern day recordings of material that was originally released with matrix quadraphonic encoding. Please submit any titles currently available with encoding intact. If at all possible, include the following info with your submission;

Artist
Title of Release
Catalog Number
Type of Encoding; SQ, QS, etc.

THE LIST

Barclay James Harvest- Once Again (SQ) EMI/Brimstone records BRIM002
Available on their official web site: http://www.bjharvest.co.uk/
Wendy Carlos-Sonic Seasonings (QS) East Side Digital
Dzyan-Time Machine (SQ) Bellaphon/Bacillus 288-09-108
Electric Light Orchestra-Early Years (SQ)
Grateful Dead-Steal Your Face (QS)
Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks- Striking It Rich!(QS)
Keith Jarrett-Treasure Island (SQ?) (Impulse MCAD-39106) from 1988
Ned Lagin/Phil Lesh -Seastones (SQ)
Lucifer's Friend-Lucifer's Friend (SQ)
Mandingo-The Primeval Rhythm of Life (SQ) EMI 8142112
Mountain- Twin Peaks(SQ) Columbia
Nektar-A Tab In The Ocean (SQ) New Release Coming Soon
Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Mike Oldfield-Hergest Ridge (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1, Virgin CDV2013
Mike Oldfield-Ommadawn (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Mike Oldfield-Collaborations (SQ) Virgin CDBOX1
Preservation Hall Jazz Band New Orleans Vol. I CBS- CD (SQ) MK34549 1977
Procol Harem-Delicato (Bootleg King Biscuit Broadcast) (SQ)
Sam Rivers-Crystals (QS - not confirmed) Impulse ASD-9286
Archie Shepp-Attica Blues (QS - not confirmed) Impulse AS-9222
Archie Shepp-The Cry of My People (QS - not confirmed) Impulse AS-9231
Gato Barbieri-Chapter 4/ Alive in New York (QS - not confirmed) Impluse ASD-9303
Santana-Lotus 2 CD Set (SQ)
Santana And Buddy Miles - Live! (SQ "maybe")
Sun Ra -Space Is The Place (QS) Impulse
Synergy-Electronic Realizations For Rock Opera (QS)
Tommy- Soundtrack (QS) Polydor 841 121-2

Also Mike Oldfield-Exposed (SQ) Virgin CDVD2511 (2 discs) not sure about the new remastered version

R E Faust

I haven't personally tried any of the EMI CDs. They may be quad. I was only speculating from the SPARS code that they were remixes.

J. D.

Gracias for the reply- it is a fair assumption , though; if the SPARS code is ADD , that it would be remixed from the Multis...it looks as though the EMI people either reinvented/confused the term "remixing" with transferring the SQ encoded stereo mix to digital tape (prolly DAT).

I'm very psyched since I just received this morning the Debussy/Ravel EMI boxset and decoded part of track 10 of CD 1 to Quad and I got some very promising info on the rears (Mostly ambiance)-mind you, it doesn't mean all of the stuff will be SQ encoded, but it's a beginning...

Can't wait to get more of the Von Karajan CDs (although NOT Beethoven's Pastoral- he was never able to relax enough to conduct it properly) cause the mic'ing techniqus were more discrete than the Martinon/ORTF ones.

I suggest the other members to try out decoding the EMI CDs just for kix...

Santana - Definitive Collection Columbia 472641 2
Quad? Close enough in Dolby PL II music.

Made in Austria Santana - Definitive Collection: At the time of release this was reported to have quad transfers by a Toronto newspaper.

I've compared tracks from 1969 & 1970 and they sound very convincing

Sam Rivers-Crystals (QS - not confirmed) Impulse ASD-9286
Archie Shepp-Attica Blues (QS - not confirmed) Impulse AS-9222
Archie Shepp-The Cry of My People (QS - not confirmed) Impulse AS-9231
Gato Barbieri-Chapter 4/ Alive in New York (QS - not confirmed) Impluse ASD-9303

On these I would be able to upload 15 to 30 second excerpts, if that's a good amount of time to determine if they are quad encoded.

ELO's Harvest Years compilation contains the quad mix of entire 1st album (aka No Answer) which I believe are SQ encoded. Some of these tracks were previously included as bonus tracks on the First Light edition of the album and others on the Early Years compilation. Early Years also included SQ tracks that were not part of the 1st album.

Some others I've learnt of through the Surround Sound Google forum that don't appea be listed yet:

Gloria Gaynor - Experience
Grateful Dead - Steal Your Face (HDCD)
Mike Oldfield - Exposed (HDCD)
BB King - Guess Who
BB King - Best
Neil Diamond - Serenade

Some others I've learnt of through the Surround Sound Google forum that don't appea be listed yet:

BB King - Guess Who
BB King - Best
Neil Diamond - Serenade

Serenade was on vinyl in SQ for certain.

they are in the discography which you can link thru qq

BB King - Guess Who
BB King - Best
Neil Diamond - Serenade

if the SPARS code is ADD , that it would be remixed from the Multis...

it's only mean the digital processing, usually remastering of the sound after it been converted from analog to digital but without cardinal changes to original mix.
A - analog source
D - digital processing
D - digital form of distribution

couple CD's with quad mix.
Canto Gregoriano - Ismail Fernandesz de la Cuesta 2xCD (SQ)
1973 (1993 CD version issue) CMB 7243 5 65218 2 7 EMI-Odeon SA

Jim Croce - Photographs & Memories/His Greatest Hits (QS)
1972 (1985 CD version issue) ICD 7755 CRC DIDY 000914 SAJA Music Co

Serenade was on vinyl in SQ for certain.

It is a wel lknow documented fact that the stereo mix of "Serenade" was scrapped after many complaints on it's initial release, and the SQ mix was used for all releases since. I've recently released the album on my blog so should be available on "The Hub" now, as should the rest of the original list as they were also released on the blog

OD

Back