Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what's really weird, Ken.....he had an album in 45j , yes it was prominently indicated , and this after I had to convince him that 45j was the original indication for ambisonics. I think he's a believer now.

There was a couple other CD'S he said were SQ , so whoever is interested....Rick Wakeman Six Wives ,is one.

And I believe he mentioned that Tommy LSO CD version was QS encoded.

Given that info I'd be curious to know if any of the other A&M CD'S that had a matrix quad release , are in their respective quad matrix ??

Edit on Tommy LSO :

someone reminded me that it still has to be vetted , so sorry 😞
interesting.. which are the matrix-encoded A&M's?

off the top of my head there's these;

Carole King "Music" (QS),
Carpenters "A Song For You" (NZ only, QS),
Carpenters "Now & Then" (SQ),
Carpenters "Singles" (SQ),
Cat Stevens "Buddha And The Chocolate Box" (SQ),
Cat Stevens "Foreigner" (SQ),
Joan Baez "Come From The Shadows" (QS),
Quincy Jones "Body Heat" (SQ),
Quincy Jones "You've Got It Bad Girl" (SQ),
Rick Wakeman "Six Wives.." (SQ)

were there any others?

edit: i think one of the Rick Wakeman CD-4 Quads, "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth", was reissued in SQ in some territory outside of the U.S.A. (Brazil maybe?)

these are all the SQ and QS LP A&M's i can lay my hands on at the moment. no idea where my SQ records of Carpenters "Singles" & Rick Wakeman's "Six Wives" have got to? maybe i chucked them out in a fit of pique since the Japanese CD-4's wipe the floor with them! 😅😂 the bottom right "Music" is the Australian QS-encoded LP in slightly different packaging, same mix and mastering as the U.S. QS LP though, iirc.

23D85BAC-A1F2-4B99-B898-458730F847D3.jpeg

Last edited:
interesting.. which are the matrix-encoded A&M's?

off the top of my head there's these;

Carole King "Music" (QS),
Carpenters "A Song For You" (NZ only, QS),
Carpenters "Now & Then" (SQ),
Carpenters "Singles" (SQ),
Cat Stevens "Buddha And The Chocolate Box" (SQ),
Cat Stevens "Foreigner" (SQ),
Joan Baez "Come From The Shadows" (QS),
Quincy Jones "Body Heat" (SQ),
Quincy Jones "You've Got It Bad Girl" (SQ),
Rick Wakeman "Six Wives.." (SQ)

were there any others?
Tommy LSO (QS)

I'm not a big fan of most of those on your list freddums , but I'd be most curious if the 2 Cat Steven's CD'S were in SQ .

Just bought an mp3 of a Rich Mountain Tower song (listened via DynaQuad & original DS), could very well be Stereo-4, I may have to get out my EVX-4 [with my basement fire extinguisher standing by, since I haven't turned the decoder on since 1983-04 ;) ]

Here's the song I just bought:

Kirk Bayne

If I'm not mistaken, I think this album by "Hollins And Star-Sidewalks Talking" is... or was available on CD.

Edit : pic
20220901_130124.jpg

I have the above record on Ovation. It did get released on cd some years ago maybe by Lion? who released another Ovation album on cd Heaven and Earth a female duo.
On amazon in 2011 the original producer comments on the Hollins and Starr cd but nothing said about surround.

I have the above record on Ovation. It did get released on cd some years ago maybe by Lion? who released another Ovation album on cd Heaven and Earth a female duo.
On amazon in 2011 the original producer comments on the Hollins and Starr cd but nothing said about surround.
I have that Hollins and Sar album from Ovation as well as Heaven and Earth. The latter I have on LP & CD. It sounds great in surround & has many good extras. If the Lions' release of Sidewalks Talking is as good a H & E, it'll be a class act. I should look around for it.

I have a copy of that Ovation EV Stereo-4 lp I found a few years ago in a used record store.

Sonik I agree the cd release of heaven and earth has the original album tracks encoded in surround plus a bunch of bonus stuff including non album singles. It sounds great.
I should look for the Hollins and Starr CD too.

Howdy Fred!
How does that compare through the Surround Master compared to the CD-4?
heya 🤗

frankly, the SQ of Six Wives is absolutely awful! 😣😅

i believe that's got little or nothing to do with the Surround Master but more because i believe that the Quad mix of Six Wives, unlike many of the Epic & Columbia Quads, is just not a Quad mix engineered to make the most of the SQ system.

by that i mean SQ often struggles to separate out drum elements from the Fronts and no matter what decoding method used they still bleed out into the Rears and here we have the Six Wives Quad mix where in discrete form the lion's share of the drums are mixed pretty much in the Rears!!

by contrast the Japanese CD-4 LP is utterly fantastic and one of my all-time favourites 💘 tbh i prefer to listen to my old Q8 even than the SQ, the SQ is so lousy.

Last edited:
I'm not 100 per cent certain but I think that the CD of the DVDA/CD version of Rick Wakeman Six Wives Of Henry VIII ...should be SQ encoded.
Why ?..because the person who made this DVDA , said the A&M CD 's were so encoded.

16635477120412825886850281159381.jpg

16635478298318745861066597354257.jpg

Just picked this up on Friday. Ornette At 12/Crisis ....Only "Crisis" is quad encoded . One of the very first QS albums from Impulse Records.
Impulse AS-9187 , recorded live in March 22, 1969 at New York University released in 1972.
This edition on Real Gone Records RGM-0614.

Here's a matrix encoded cd using specific mic arrangements Developed at McGill University and aptly named NATURAL SURROUND SOUND.
This disc was recorded and released in 91 on the McGill record label.
Not certain how many others they issued in surround but I used to have one other NSS cd.

This was at a time when Dolby Surround cd's were being issued from the likes of RCA/BMG and a few others, so it's no surprise that the liner notes state NSS is compatible with Dolby Surround.

View attachment 22631View attachment 22632View attachment 22633View attachment 22634

I ran across some interesting reads on McGill University's research on microphone technics during recording for playback in Dolby Surround. I thought some of you might enjoy.

https://escholarship.mcgill.ca/downloads/vt150k34n.PDF

Compositional Crossroads: Music, Mcgill, Montreal

I got this on an email, GENESIS - The Legendary Lamb FM Broadcast

View attachment 83669
Genesis were recorded by the BBC for this show and it was released as an SQ LP for syndication, going by this from http://www.eclipse67.com/bbci.htm

View attachment 83670

I'm going to purchase it.

Could it be SQ encoded?
https://www.discogs.com/master/908274-Genesis-Stereo-Pop-Special-98Here's the BBC disc, which is SQ. Some crossover in the track lists between discs. Presumably that's why this disc says 'part-recorded by the BBC'. So maybe some of this will be SQ. I bet the Beeb recorded the whole concert, though, they just didn't release it all. If you click on the images you can read the extensive notes that go with the disc.

https://www.discogs.com/master/908274-Genesis-Stereo-Pop-Special-98Here's the BBC disc, which is SQ. Some crossover in the track lists between discs. Presumably that's why this disc says 'part-recorded by the BBC'. So maybe some of this will be SQ. I bet the Beeb recorded the whole concert, though, they just didn't release it all. If you click on the images you can read the extensive notes that go with the disc.
I ordered it and its supposed to be released on Friday (23rd Sept.), so not long to wait and find out.

Edit: I suspect I'd have recorded this on cassette when/if it was broadcast as a BBC Radio 1 In Concert, too long ago to remember!

@Mark Anderson
It's about time you asked:) And here's the story :

Sometime back in the 90's or late 80's I was a subscriber to Audio Ideas Guide . A Canadian publication, with mostly high end (expensive) ,but every once in a while the author/publisher Andrew Marshall would discuss surround developments.
In one of these issues he mentioned he encoded some albums on the CBC label ,mostly Classical and also mostly electronics artists. He mentioned that it was Primarily The Canadian Electronics Ensemble.

He did this as an audio engineer and because CBC Stereo FM Toronto had a basic SQ Sony Encoder.
When an Audio Engineer admits that they quad encoded unbeknownst music ,that just makes my day.

Well being the quad sleuth that I am I wrote him a letter asking what titles he encoded specifically. Now Probably being paranoid, I'm guessing , he sadly did not reply . That's too bad as this is my pet peeve ,and I always suspected there were some albums out in the world quad encoded because the engineer did so for whatever reasons ,one being ease of operation.

So that's about where it stands . We have a group ,but no titles specifically. And Also some unnamed Classical albums SQ encoded on the CBC Label. These would be Stealth SQ Encoded.

@Mark Anderson and @Electric Moo

PERSISTENCE paid off , I finally found the "stealth SQ quad" article from Andrew Marshall in reference ,specifically to THE CANADIAN ELECTRONIC ENSEMBLE.
From AIG Magazine , Spring 97 Volume 17 #1.(page not clear ,possibly pg 44)

(Reference posts 263-279)
20220919_203730.jpg

Back