Matrix Quad CD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SQ Spalax CD of Ashra Tempel-Starring Rosie

1444760453768.jpg1444760522252.jpg1444760602767.jpg

Here's a matrix encoded cd using specific mic arrangements.Developed at McGill University and aptly named NATURAL SURROUND SOUND.
This disc was recorded and released in 91 on the McGill record label.
Not certain how many others they issued in surround but I used to have one other NSS cd.

This was at a time when Dolby Surround cd's were being issued from the likes of RCA/BMG and a few others, so it's no surprise that the liner notes state NSS is compatible with Dolby Surround.

20151029_105244.jpg20151029_105321.jpg20151029_105344.jpg20151029_105358.jpg

Oh, just for the 'ell of it.......

I thought I'd post a pic of some of my test and demo cds.

Not really quad though .......more like 4,5,6 channel. Some Dolby, some Ambisonic, Some Circle, spatilizer, and Shure HTS.

20151030_210805.jpg20151030_210812.jpg

So the NED LAGIN-SEASTONES cd and I suppose that includes the lp as well, could indeed be QS ENCODED ?

Easy to make that mistake, SQ-QS SQ-QS, I had the disc and it was clearly marked SQ, but not an official Emblem like the multi-groove CBS logo for SQ nor the EMI emblem for SQ nor the CAPITOL RECORDS SQ emblem.
Just some rather plain lettering SQ .

20160307_125049.jpg20160307_125113.jpg20160307_125411.jpg20160307_125417.jpg20160307_125436.jpg

Hello is anyone else interested or has some or many (but hopefully a number of..), Matrix quad encoded CD'S ??

I feel kind of lonely, and always had the impression there were/are a number of other Quad cd collectors out there ?

Well at least I would be surprised to see other QQ'er's with such discs they may wish to showcase or just rave on :Dabout.:zzzzz:zzzzz(y)

I only have 3 definites I know off, Gentle Giant CD/DVD of GG at the BBC, Climax Blues Band's "Stamp" & an Italian CD release by Firebird that turned out to be a vinyl rip! Oh and a few probable HJ encoded tracks from Lonestar. So far..... :D

I am not sure but i had thought that
Climax Blues Band's "Stamp" was not released in Quad anywere
It was one of those thought to be Quad (QS)
I have the old US release and it is not Quad
But I would like to know what is the answer

I'm afraid the "jury's still out"whether that disc is QS encoded or not.

Even the band is unsure if it was finally encoded.But there is no doubt it was mixed in Quad, again according to the band.The liner notes on "Rockpalast" cd/dvd Climax Blues Band, indicate such.
Fwiw the disc was quad mixed in the U.S., but it looks as if they had to wait for equipment from Japan. (Likely a Sansui Encoder)
The label Sire/Passport informed Sansui's 4chScene that a number of discs would be made in quad, and this was proclaimed in the Sansui promo newsletter.They mentioned a few groups and one was Climax Blues Band.

OK I pulled out my copy of Climax Blues Band Stamp Album
SASD-7507 Side A has scratched on vinyl R F Janos
Side b ----------------------- Splicer
It is a fold out cover 1975
I have not played it in over 30 years
I used the Surround Master set to Involve (QS)

Played all tracks a good album
I am not sure that it is Quad But a lot of the tracks do have
good rear channel information
Is that the Decoder plus the way it is recorded?
There is a fazing vocal in The devil Knows and that is real Surround
to sum up I am not sure But if I was told that it was Quad
I would not argue
I know that it is sitting on the fence
But I am old enough to be wrong
Ron

I would not argue
Ron

Last edited:
A pic from the Climax Blues cd/dvd from Rockpalast 1976 on the Reportoire label.

liner notes confirming a quad mix occurred.-but QS encode, unknown.

20160310_140059.jpg20160310_140030.jpg20160310_140020.jpg

This is from 2013 cd/dvd release date, the dvd is a live concert in DD 5.1 from a concert broadcast-76.;)

I would not argue
Ron

To test if it is QS encoded, you need to record it in MONO .Sansui's QS is not mono-compatible.There would likely be centre channel info either missing or fading out namely "vocals". Most quad recordings tend to centre vocals in front channels.
The BBC rejected the use of QS for this very reason, as back in the 70's most fm listener's owned mono radios, I think it was like 80-90% of their listeners.
That is why they came up with their own matrix quad system H and later HJ , both "mono compatible".

I see that Mark Anderson's Quad releases web site now has it marked as Not Released in Quad, whereas previously it said only released in Quad, so I can strike it from my tiny list of matrix-CDs!

To test if it is QS encoded, you need to record it in MONO .Sansui's QS is not mono-compatible.There would likely be centre channel info either missing or fading out namely "vocals". Most quad recordings tend to centre vocals in front channels.
The BBC rejected the use of QS for this very reason, as back in the 70's most fm listener's owned mono radios, I think it was like 80-90% of their listeners.
That is why they came up with their own matrix quad system H and later HJ , both "mono compatible".

I really should clarify my statement.

You should PLAY it in mono, playback in mono should reveal the signal loss (vocals, usually) of any QS disc.

I got the idea from Tom Moulton's explanation of why Gloria Gaynor's-Experience is quad (QS). And of course why he had to return to the studio to remix it in STEREO. And you gotta be able to hear the Diva.
When heard in mono, the vocals on the QS disc will tend to fade out, so you miss her vocals at times.
No doubt they must have recieved listener's complaints. (Mono listeners)/At the time 75/76 there were probably a large enough number.

Barclay James Harvest-Once Again

The only 96/24 SQ quad I know of, via dvd. I wish more of those EMI SQ albums got this treatment !

Oh Yoko, are you listening.?:D

20160308_172526.jpg20160308_172559.jpg20160308_172649.jpg20160308_172831.jpg

QUESTION ????

Were any of the three PINK FLOYD SQ or RM Quad albums released on CD in matrix quad either SQ or RM ?? Or any compilations?! By Floyd made available in quad matrix cd??

Also Pompeii??

I know that Electric Moo is a DY-4D recommended album, vinyl and cd.

I'm curious as at one time, for a couple of years anyway, EMI released ATOM HEART MOTHER, and WISH YOU WERE HERE as "single inventory" SQ Quad discs (sometime in the mid 70's).

Any way if u know, chime in.

fizzywiggy:D

I was reading online from amazon ? that Deep Purple-Machine Head was being reisued with two tracks in SQ quad much like their 30th anniversay disc was.

Imagine my surprise when I was in a local HMV store yesterday and yes they had this new edition but.......Holy-fn-crap:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes

this disc is a remastered cd of the 2012 cd....plus a 2nd cd of the ENTIRE QUAD ALBUM IN SQ !!!!!

20160724_142648.jpg20160724_142715.jpg20160724_142724.jpg20160724_142813.jpg

I did not buy the box set of SQ quad cd plus quad dvd back in 2012, so this makes it uber sweet, and the price !! $15.00 Canadian can't be beat.
:cool::party

Now it would be appropriate that WB/EMI release the 6 other EMI quads, John Lennon Imagine, Pink Floyd Atom Heart Mother, Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon, Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here, Electric Light Orchestra No Answer and Marvin Welch Farrar Second Opinion.,, all in SQ Quad cd.

We have SQ CD of Barclay James Harvest Once Again . (Also the ninth disc.....ELO 2 in SQ).:music

Back