HiRez Poll Mayer, John - HEAVIER THINGS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of John Mayer - HEAVIER THINGS

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

The mix is a tad "mirror like", fronts and backs have a lot of similar info, but it really opens it up. Like this guys attitude and voice. A 7

I didn't like the music, and the mix wasn't very good either. I sold it soon after i bought it. I could only give it a 4.

Last edited:
The music grew on me. The surround mix is appropriate for the music. The liner notes are eye test size but are quite extensive and much better than average. I scored Heavier Things a seven. Good album.

tcdriver

You know, I kinda liked this one! It didn't knock me out at first, but the music called me back for a second listen and I liked it a lot better. I think this one will grow on me even more. The surround mix is subdued but I agree that it is appropriate for the music. Still, not a stellar surround release but definitely above average. I gave it a 7.

I feel that this disc improves with repeated listenings. I gave it a 6.

I'm not a huge Mayer fan. It wasn't much of a struggle waiting for the SACD to come out. I mean, I had sorta wanted the CD; but not that badly. So when I saw Brian Moura had it on his website of upcoming releases there was no question I was going to wait.

Once the disc finally came out I was a little disappointed with the surround mix. It never does anything terribly wrong, but it's just a little too subtle for my tastes. But like I said earlier, the disc grows on you.

The songs are overall pretty good and tend to grow on you but the sound quality was not good.. very HOT.. the vocals and instruments are horribly distorted on the "somethings missing" track. The surround mix is very mediocre and so much more could have been done to make it interesting.

Savageone79 said:
The songs are overall pretty good and tend to grow on you but the sound quality was not good.. very HOT.. the vocals and instruments are horribly distorted on the "somethings missing" track. The surround mix is very mediocre and so much more could have been done to make it interesting.
That's Jack Joesph Piug's sound. Play anything he's produced or mixed and it's hot as hell. He likes that crunchy sound.

Back