HiRez Poll Mayer, John - ROOM FOR SQUARES [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of John Mayer - ROOM FOR SQUARES

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) :phones (n)

Here is an SACD from................SONY! :D
And I found it at Best Buy!! :eek:

Only available as a DualDisc prior to this release.

Interestingly, the date on the back is 2001!!??

Attachments

• rfs1.jpg
    rfs1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 157
  • rfs2.jpg
    rfs2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 157
Not a winner, not a loser either.
This title could be so much more in surround! The CD sounds much more natural and warmer - can't really tell what went wrong here. The mix by album's original mixer Jack Joseph Puig (the two Mayer surround releases are most likely his one-off 5.1 job) is discrete enough to qualify, but suffers mainly from weird and unnecessary distortion (something for what Adam invented a term "Up-Rez-ing" in the other thread for this title). I like more than a half of the tunes so much, that I'm gonna keep the SACD, but the back-up dualdisc has to go, still sealed.
Was torn between 6 and 7 here, but I'm gonna go with the lesser mark, as I have strong suspicion that there are certain elements missing in the mix, that are prominent on the CD version. Also, Mayer's sophomore SACD Heavier Things deserves one or two points more, solely for the sound.
Best tracks: Why Georgia, Neon, City Love, 83, St. Patrick's Day

Wow a dead thread... I might need to give this a listen to give my thoughts just for the sake of putting em out there. I like John Mayer quite a bit. Might pick this up soon and write a review for y'all :)

Back