"McCartney 3,2,1" Documentary Series on Hulu in July!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the last 3 days, my parents and I watched all 6 parts of the new “McCartney 3 2 1” series (with Rick Rubin) on Hulu and it is absolutely amazing! Hoping there will be an extended Blu-Ray version released at some point 😊

You can watch the entire series here: McCartney 3, 2, 1
I watched the first 2 episodes last night. Completely agree with Ryan - 2 guys sitting around a mixing board chewing the fat - doesn’t sound all that compelling - but it is! I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face. And for those who are wondering, the show is broadcast in Dolby Digital Plus on Hulu - the music is strictly stereo but it really doesn’t matter.

Watched it all on friday, and simply loved it. I liked how they stripped down so many songs and gave some background on the recording or writing. Some of these parts were jaw dropping to me, things I hadnt realised. It helps to have Rick Rubin on the show making the right questions and comments.

Summer of Soul is amazing!

Summer of Soul is in fact amazing. I had no clue those concerts ever took place. I would guess one of the many reasons was that it was not a single event, but a series of concerts throughout the summer. Still, there's no denying the power of the music in those shows.

3,2,1 McCartney is pretty good, and fun to watch, but if you were a 'real' Beatles fan, you won't discover a lot from the 6 episodes. You'll hear stories you may have heard before and all, but it's very cool to hear Paul talk about the songs and their construction, and having the multi's there in the console to hear bits and pieces of each mix.

I thought the best part of the series was that they did not just concentrate on Paul songs. Both John and George's songs got in-depth discussion and listens, and Ringo had a bit of the spotlight as well - so it's not just about Paul.

Which is good

Both programs on HULU I would advocate as "must watches" for any QQ member

No on else have any thoughts? How about when Paul said the Beatles and Pink Floyd were in Abbey Road at the same time and they would go back and forth to each others studios, and he went to their studio to hear Dark Side of the Moon.

Um, wasn't DSOTM recorded in '72? No Beatles around for that

No on else have any thoughts? How about when Paul said the Beatles and Pink Floyd were in Abbey Road at the same time and they would go back and forth to each others studios, and he went to their studio to hear Dark Side of the Moon.

That's kinda common knowledge, given that Macca is featured as one of the voices of DSOTM, also the Abbey Road bouncer, or guard, AFAIR.

I have watched 3 so far, quite good. I never knew that on the song Blackbird the clicking is Paul's shoes tapping, so obvious when you see it and hear it. I always thought is was a metronome.

That's kinda common knowledge, given that Macca is featured as one of the voices of DSOTM, also the Abbey Road bouncer, or guard, AFAIR.

He made it sound like 'The Beatles' went back and forth between the studios, not Wings/Solo Mac. Or maybe that's just the way I heard it. Not that big of a deal, it just struck me as out of place.

There were many great sections, but when they pulled up "And Your Bird Can Sing", well, it doesn't get much better than that

I just watched the second episode. It's interesting that Paul talks about the amazing concert he saw in Lagos by Fela Kuti, but doesn't talk about the confrontation with Fela that happened afterwards. I'm also wondering why the credits include "Written By Mark Monroe". What exactly did Mark Monroe do?

He made it sound like 'The Beatles' went back and forth between the studios, not Wings/Solo Mac. Or maybe that's just the way I heard it. Not that big of a deal, it just struck me as out of place.

There were many great sections, but when they pulled up "And Your Bird Can Sing", well, it doesn't get much better than that
My understanding is that it was in the psychedelic period where they were mingling.

As to Dark Side, this was new to me, too. According to The Internet™:

Paul McCartney’s contributions to the album were deleted – but the Beatles made a surprise appearance on the record.
In an attempt to further tie Dark Side‘s songs together, Roger Waters came up with the idea of recording interviews with Abbey Road staffers, road crew members, and anyone else working at the studio — asking them a series of questions about subjects ranging from the banal (favorite colors and foods) to the deeply serious (madness and death) — and then threading some of the interview snippets into the final mix. Paul McCartney, who was finishing Wings’ Red Rose Speedway album at Abbey Road, was actually among the interviewees, but Waters deemed his answers unusable. “He was the only person who found it necessary to perform, which was useless, of course,” Waters told Pink Floyd biographer John Harris. “I thought it was really interesting that he would do that. He was trying to be funny, which wasn’t what we wanted at all.”

Source: Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon': 10 Things You Didn't Know

Back