Music DVD Poll McCartney, Paul - THE MCCARTNEY YEARS [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Paul McCartney - THE MCCARTNEY YEARS

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2007 release from Paul McCartney entitled "The McCartney Years".
The 3DVD set collects more than 40 music videos and 2 hours of live performances, with all the audio remixed in 5.1 surround by Paul Hicks.

(y) :) (n)

Macca_1.jpeg

Macca_2.jpeg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/the-mccartney-years-3-dvd-set-due-nove-12th.8513/

Simply an outstanding set. A very discrete mix with lots of action in the rears on most tracks. Excellent fidelity, music and videos.

Also, check out the Band On The Run cover photo shoot extra on disc 1. The 5.1 mix on that video, although only snippets of several tracks, is superior to that on the Band On The Run DTS CD. Makes you wonder why the whole album wasn't released in 5.1. (Perhaps an Atmos mix is in the future?)

Is there any surround release that is better value for money? The XTC/ King Crimson/ Tull/ Marillion albums pack a lot in - especially the XTC and Crimson (single albums) but this is a 40+ track greatest hits, in 5.1 DTS, with videos for all the tracks, plus lots of live material and other extras. Much better value than the new, bigger boxes that have a single album in DTS, little or no video content, and some CDs of out-takes and live material. I mean by anybody. If you compare this to the McCartney deluxe editions, it's off the scale. If this had been sold as an audio album, in a box, it would now command very high prices as a sought-after surround icon, but it seems that because it is a DVD video collection, it gets ignored.

None of this would matter too much if the mixes and sound were no good, but they are great.

Last edited:
If this had been sold as an audio album, in a box, it would now command very high prices as a sought-after surround icon, but because it seems that because it is a DVD video collection, it gets ignored.
Shhhhhhhhh! Don't let the word get out to the record companies. LOL

For those of you who haven't gotten this set, there are multiple copies available on eBay at about $20...even less.

Just ordered a sealed copy as per the suggestion above. I'll put it alongside the Lennon Imagine & Gimme some Truth discs. Glad I read my summary email from QQ this morning !

My first purchase of this set had a Disc Two that would not play in either my Sony 4K player or my Insignia Blu-ray player, though it didn’t have any visible defects. Perhaps some suffer from DVD rot or bad authoring. Other than that it’s definitely worth picking up.

Yes Great 5.1 Sound
I wrote Number 1, 2 , 3 on each DVD as it had White Color and number one STUPIDILY written in White

So nice having a DVD/CD pen handy.

Fantastic set I bought years ago.

The RAM era videos were great to see. I ripped all three discs just for the audio. The third disc being live is not as great as the first two surround wise but a great set and value.

My Disc 1 seems to have gone bad and won’t play in my Oppo 203. Of course the best songs are on that disc. The other 2 discs play perfectly

Back