DVD/DTS Poll McCartney, Paul & Wings - BAND ON THE RUN [DTS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Paul McCartney and Wings - BAND ON THE RUN

• Total voters
Can't believe I never voted on this one years ago, decent fidelity for a DTS CD much better sounding to me than Venus and Mars. I've owned both and gave my son the yellow fixed version and I kept the original release in the normal CD sized Jewel case.

On Track 1 The Electric Guitar is Cut out for a few seconds
on the DTS CD
There are two possibilities.

1. You have an early version of this disk, which has that known flaw.
2. You have a later version of this disk which is corrected, but your equipment is taking a second to recognize the DTS encode and get into the proper mode.

I read somewhere that ripping the early version and playing back the resulting DTS file remove's the flaw from the file. YMMV

yellow disc, I like this album quite a bit the quad/dts mix is a tad muted up top but that is serious nit picking, I also have the unlimited version that sounds amazing as well as the latest audiophile vinyl pressing thats damn good

I just listened to this for the first time in years. Everything sounded great to my ears until the very end. When the orchestra enters at the end of "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five" they are LOUD! It's the loudest thing on the whole album and I had to turn the overall volume down. And the orchestra completely overpowers the band. Is it just something my system is doing? Does anyone else hear it this way?

Interesting note regarding this particular album/cd etc..
as I noted in my above thoughts I found this dts cd a bit muted....
well I got a hold of a digital conversion of the capitol quad mix from a Q8 and its NOT muted and is WAY better than the dts cd
I am unsure if this was the proper place for this but hopefully

Same here, I have both the DTS CD and a Q8 DVD-A conversion and the Q8 conversion sounds way better. The DTS CD is dull and muddy in comparison. The same applies to Venus and Mars.

The YELLOW DTS 4.0 Version of Band has inconsistent sound ... some tracks sound amazing and others ... not so much.

With All Things Must Pass, Lennon's foray into Hi Res 5.1/Atmos Surround and a few of Ringo's albums in Hi Res DVD~A 5.1., and of course the Beatles Catalog newly remixed into ATMOS/5.1 BD~A, when is Paul McCartney going to get 'on the bandwagon' and release his iconic early albums in a higher res format?

Last edited:
Then, suddenly, around 2007, QQ Member @dr. simple discovered that his "Band on the Run" DTS CD was NOT missing the first three notes. In fact, if you read ahead in this poll to his post, you can read through this discovery in real time. He thought we were all crazy! :)

Hey hey hey! In all fairness I thought I was the one who was crazy!

Because the hits on this album were so overplayed back in the day I avoided this album like the plague. Well now it's been many years that these songs were in the mainstream, I saw a copy for sale with a busted case at a reasonable price so I snapped it up.

The mix varies a bit from front oriented to excellent, immersive. I was a bit surprised just how Beatle-esque this album is, reminding me of Abby Road in places.

Sound wise the sound is very good but perhaps a touch bassy. I have the purple disc, the missing intro does not bother me. I still slightly prefer Venus and Mars. I'll give this one an eight, almost a nine if not for all those front oriented sections.

I got the original LP release. In great shape... owned it for like forever.

If I want surround, I sit on an office chair in front of the Maggies and rotate.... ;-)

Back