• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll McDonald, Michael - Motown Two [SACD]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the SACD of Michael McDonald - MOTOWN 2

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

MC Maniac

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Both volumes are excellant - musically I prefer the song selection of Vol 2..

Gets a 9 from me for great SQ and mix and because both discs are played regularily..

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
I wasn't sure about the concept of Michael McDonald singing Motown classics but I was surprised at how well it came off (which I guess is why they opted for a sequel).

Michael has a very distinctive voice that people either love or hate. Personally, I love his voice, and it works very well with these songs. I was especially impressed with how good his vocals sound when backed by female soul singers. It really adds a delightful dimension to his presentation.

The surround mix here is just right. I have no complaints at all. It is well balanced, with plenty of discrete elements to help break down the mix and allow you to appreciate the individual sounds.

I gave this title an 8. There are a couple of things that bother me about it. The first is that I have bias against albums composed of cover tunes, no matter how good they might be. Second, the concept does wear thin, and after a few songs I find myself wanting to go back to the originals.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Great review, Cai. You and I feel the same about cover tunes. I usually hate it when someone sings "someone elses" song, thinking that if I want to hear the song, I'll listen to the original. It is a rare occurance when a cover version is as good as or better than the original.

Still, MD's voice is perfect for Motown, and while every song does not work (as in the first SACD), many do. And the updated production and vocal arangements are done quite well.

Although these tunes may not be as well known "titles" as the first disc, you will find that you recognize many as they play.

Since we are so hard up to get HiRez surround releases out there, this one at least is enjoyable, if not perfect.

I too give it an 8. I am glad they released this one in HiRez, as it could have gone the other way quite easily. So, again, THANKS UMG! Keep 'em coming and I'll buy 'em.

(Speaking of covers, I still cannot bring myself to get the Rod Steward DVD-A of his first "Standards" disc. To me, MD doing Motown is fine, RS singing standards, well, there is something not quite right with that, to me anyway. Of course, I must be wrong, as they are now on the THIRD release of this type of material (although not in HiRez surround))

:-jon

daved64

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
JonUrban said:
I too give it an 8. I am glad they released this one in HiRez, as it could have gone the other way quite easily. So, again, THANKS UMG! Keep 'em coming and I'll buy 'em.

(Speaking of covers, I still cannot bring myself to get the Rod Steward DVD-A of his first "Standards" disc. To me, MD doing Motown is fine, RS singing standards, well, there is something not quite right with that, to me anyway. Of course, I must be wrong, as they are now on the THIRD release of this type of material (although not in HiRez surround))

:-jon
I have only heard the stereo cd of Motown 2, and the slick production had me pining for the originals. Maybe in surround it's different.

As for Rod........if you buy it Jon, you must sell the TL, buy a minivan, and hang a little soccerball from the rearview mirror! ;)

berninahusq

JonUrban said:
I usually hate it when someone sings "someone elses" song, thinking that if I want to hear the song, I'll listen to the original.
Yeah, I also wondered why more Motown artists are not released in multichannel like Marvin Gaye. It seems to me that when the Marvin Gaye albums were recorded, other Motown artists like Stevie Wonder (wouldn't Songs in the Key of Life http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1050769&cart=236850889&style=music&Bab=E be TOO GROOVY :steering: in multichannel!!), Temptations, etc. had great albums as well.

So in the meantime, I'll enjoy the McDonald Motown 1 and 2 SACDs and dream....

This is a good recording....I give it a 7.

Ed

Last edited:
Group builder