MCH FLACs On Ext HDD Via Oppo HDMI?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Enjoying these surround mixes from PC but not an external USB drive connected to OPPO BDP93 then HDMI to Denon AVR 4310. I've downloaded most of them to PC hard drive and then christened a repurposed 1TB drive in external drive. Copied the files as they arrived so channel assignment is unchanged from original intent, yet when I select Music from Source menu in the OPPO it sounds like 5 channel stereo or something.

Does anyone know if MCH FLACS are down-mixed across HDMI to Denon Receiver? I can find nothing in the Oppo menu nor any discussion on QQ or elsewhere on my situation. Since I can play the files from PC (Sound Forge playing 6 channel FLAC) via USB to 8 channel Behringer interface box and then 6 analog cables into Zektor switcher then 6 analogs into Denon using the EXT IN option, I wonder if the Oppo can only pass the multi-channel via the analog inputs but not via HDMI? You can't monkey with (screw-up) HDMI - it works one way.

I was saving the last Zektor input for a surround master but I will sacrifice it (and endure the contortions required because of location) to get analog cables hooked up to the Oppo if that is the answer. Just want to get some feedback first! Thanks

EDIT: Going to keep comparing before I comment any further.

Last edited:
Enjoying these surround mixes from PC but not an external USB drive connected to OPPO BDP93 then HDMI to Denon AVR 4310. I've downloaded most of them to PC hard drive and then christened a repurposed 1TB drive in external drive. Copied the files as they arrived so channel assignment is unchanged from original intent, yet when I select Music from Source menu in the OPPO it sounds like 5 channel stereo or something.

Does anyone know if MCH FLACS are down-mixed across HDMI to Denon Receiver? I can find nothing in the Oppo menu nor any discussion on QQ or elsewhere on my situation. Since I can play the files from PC (Sound Forge playing 6 channel FLAC) via USB to 8 channel Behringer interface box and then 6 analog cables into Zektor switcher then 6 analogs into Denon using the EXT IN option, I wonder if the Oppo can only pass the multi-channel via the analog inputs but not via HDMI? You can't monkey with (screw-up) HDMI - it works one way.

I was saving the last Zektor input for a surround master but I will sacrifice it (and endure the contortions required because of location) to get analog cables hooked up to the Oppo if that is the answer. Just want to get some feedback first! Thanks

EDIT: Going to keep comparing before I comment any further.

My Denon AVR-X7200WA plays MCH flac via HDMI without problems - except it plays quad (4.0) as stereo - front channels only - I add a silent centre to fix (5.0)

Try these test files:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...lac-with-various-channels-sample-rates.24032/

Coldplay - Fix You @ 1:46
From PC: discrete acoustic guitar strumming only;
Oppo 93 + Ext HDD: puts everything back there including lead vocal

I have a theory about channel assignment and a USB flash drive, stay tuned

PS - Is there a reason these files are 24/44?

I couldn't get my Denon to play MCH FLAC directly from any USB device file. I'm playing my FLACs from a media player (Intel NUC) via HDMI ok though.

Thanks - I ran the 5.1 version and this was similar to the old DTS setup CD with channel IDs. So the setup is correct channel-wise. The PC (Sound Forge with 5.1 FLAC) goes through the analogs to EXT IN and works perfectly. The HDMI from OPPO must be seen as stereo only by Denon for FLAC (or WAV as I just tested). I'd better go back and read 5-6 years of the OPPO external drive posts because it sounded like people had this working fine. It must be the analogs were used instead of HDMI. The more I think about it that has to be the answer because EXT IN is straight pass through with no decoding, secret handshake whatsoever. This Denon AVR-4310 is one of the last with 6 analog inputs.

Back