Media Players 101: Why use a Media Player? (Pros and Cons)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem might be that it is a WAV file that cannot contain metadata for Atmos or Auro3D.
I thought the same thing. I don't understand how a .wav file could contain the metadata needed to flag Auro3d playback when sent to the AVR. But I presumed since IAA was selling it that way it works somehow.

It’s just like DTS. You can put encoded DTS into a wav (and FLAC file).

Atmos, Auro is delivered in a pcm/wav format. The metadata is used by the decoder to mix objects to speakers based on your speaker layout during the decode.

Hi, need help from the experienced:
searching for a media player with Dolby (or not):
4 x Out to amplifier, 2 TB HD, RGB to TV (not HDMI, will limit frequency), USB / Net for loading.

No CD/DVD

Last edited:
Hi. Could you explain about HDMI limiting frequency, and of what?
During the handshake between TV and player the TV tells the max. frequency = mostly 20kHz.
But I also want to play pure Quadradisc which needs the 30kHz, RGB is unlimited.
A unused HDMI plug will not disturb.
Most Dolby player can be switched to 4CH but don't have a hard disc inside. Don't want to connect always a computer without remote control.

Any Idea ?

(When I started recording CD-4 to computer I had very good luck: I used an old TV. Took my recordings to the cellar, nothing worked. Took a while and lots of headstands till I found the reason: HDMI handshake.)

During the handshake between TV and player the TV tells the max. frequency = mostly 20kHz.
But I also want to play pure Quadradisc which needs the 30kHz, RGB is unlimited.
A unused HDMI plug will not disturb.
Most Dolby player can be switched to 4CH but don't have a hard disc inside. Don't want to connect always a computer without remote control.

Any Idea ?

(When I started recording CD-4 to computer I had very good luck: I used an old TV. Took my recordings to the cellar, nothing worked. Took a while and lots of headstands till I found the reason: HDMI handshake.)
Hmm. I wonder if it's the type (classification) of HDMI ports you have on your devices? I am far from an expert on HDMI, but 30kHz should be no problem from my limited understanding, as the specs go way up into the MHz range. Could be the ports, the cables.....wish I could be more help.

Hmm. I wonder if it's the type (classification) of HDMI ports you have on your devices? I am far from an expert on HDMI, but 30kHz should be no problem from my limited understanding, as the specs go way up into the MHz range. Could be the ports, the cables.....wish I could be more help.
It's the definition of HDMI (see Wicki).
My old (HD) TV hasn't implemented this, but the newer one. Last year I've bought a new one but didn't see that it has no RGB: so I bought a RGB to HDMI converter (5,-) and everything is fine again.
HDMI can get up very high, but if the TV or your windows says LIMIT, that it's limited ...

It's the definition of HDMI (see Wicki).
My old (HD) TV hasn't implemented this, but the newer one. Last year I've bought a new one but didn't see that it has no RGB: so I bought a RGB to HDMI converter (5,-) and everything is fine again.
HDMI can get up very high, but if the TV or your windows says LIMIT, that it's limited ...
OK. You said you were recording CD-4? I guess I don't understand why you are passing a signal through the TV?
What device are you recording to?
Help me understand, you lost me here guy.

OK. You said you were recording CD-4? I guess I don't understand why you are passing a signal through the TV?
What device are you recording to?
Help me understand, you lost me here guy.
Very simple: I recorded all my vinyl that time on PC and got angry that all Quadradisc are distorted, sharp brazz. some years later I got the idea what happend: I recorded accidentally the 30kHz carrier on a normal receiver without filters.
So I took a closer look at it and recorded the whole bandwidth and played it back to the CD-4 demodulator: it works very fine. (using 192kHz/24bit .wav)

That technic needs only a wire behind the RIAA, but works perfect. I play all my music from a media-player (2TB HD). I'm to lazy to always jump off, changing LP or DVD or searching on a tape. Selecting the next song with remote control or by playlist.
Of course the media-player is connected with the TV-screen (RGB) and normal audio to the receiver.
Don't have to send the 30kHz to the TV, but one port blocked by TV = all ports blocked/limited.

Now I got some 4CH (Flac) files and bought an Scarlett 4i4: USB from PC to Scarlett, and from there into the 4CH amp. But don't want to use always a PC, media-player is much more handsome. Mine have only a 2CH out, but Dolby systems offer more.

So I'm searching for a:
media player with Dolby (or not) playable wav or flac:
4 x Out to amplifier, 2 TB HD, RGB to TV (not HDMI, will limit frequency), USB or Net for loading.
No CD/DVD needed (mine are all gone into tray)

Last edited:
Very simple: I recorded all my vinyl that time on PC and got angry that all Quadradisc are distorted, sharp brazz. some years later I got the idea what happend: I recorded accidentally the 30kHz carrier on a normal receiver without filters.
So I took a closer look at it and recorded the whole bandwidth and played it back to the CD-4 demodulator: it works very fine. (using 192kHz/24bit .wav)

That technic needs only a wire behind the RIAA, but works perfect. I play all my music from a media-player (2TB HD). I'm to lazy to always jump off, changing LP or DVD or searching on a tape. Selecting the next song with remote control or by playlist.
Of course the media-player is connected with the TV-screen (RGB) and normal audio to the receiver.
Don't have to send the 30kHz to the TV, but one port blocked by TV = all ports blocked/limited.

Now I got some 4CH (Flac) files and bought an Scarlett 4i4: USB from PC to Scarlett, and from there into the 4CH amp. But don't want to use always a PC, media-player is much more handsome. Mine have only a 2CH out, but Dolby systems offer more.

So I'm searching for a:
media player with Dolby (or not) playable wav or flac:
4 x Out to amplifier, 2 TB HD, RGB to TV (not HDMI, will limit frequency), USB or Net for loading.
No CD/DVD needed (mine are all gone into tray)
'Dune HD Max' players might work for you. They are 11 Years old and can be bought cheaply now.

Hardware specs

Back panel
1681246600083.png

'Dune HD Max' players might work for you. They are 11 Years old and can be bought cheaply now.

Hardware specs

Back panel
View attachment 90471
Thank You!
seems to be what it should, with multichannel flac, but no more so many around like my old Fantec's.
I'll see to get one.
(The Oppo's looks the same at backside, but manual says, that they will play only stereo or 5.1/7.1)

Back