Media Players 102: Kodi for Multichannel Music Playback (features and hardware)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With KODI in shuffle mode with crossfade on and replaygain engaged has anyone noticed audio dropouts around the 14 -7 second remaining in the track with MCH FLAC on KODI all platforms (Android, Librelec, Windows 10) and hardware (PI3, various desktops, Shield, Amazon Fire TV 2)? The dropouts occurs when sourced on both USB drives and over 1000 gig switch from a NAS. The droputs are less on Windows hardware, but on the others its every song.

With KODI in shuffle mode with crossfade on and replaygain engaged has anyone noticed audio dropouts around the 14 -7 second remaining in the track with MCH FLAC on KODI all platforms (Android, Librelec, Windows 10) and hardware (PI3, various desktops, Shield, Amazon Fire TV 2)? The dropouts occurs when sourced on both USB drives and over 1000 gig switch from a NAS. The droputs are less on Windows hardware, but on the others its every song.
I have noticed dropouts recently. Wasn't in shuffle mode. and no crossfade. replay gain on. Mine seems to do it with stereo flac tracks only, in the last 20 seconds of the track. I only use a NAS. Win10 machine. I just thought it was a network issue. maybe not.

I thought network originally, but no longer do.
I assume you say that because it also happens via a USB drive, yes?

What skin are you using? Aeon Nox Silvo here.

I saw on the Kodi forum that a few users think they have traced it to the lyric add on.

The issue has been across all recent versions (past 3 years) and platforms windows 10, android, & linux.

The issue has been across all recent versions (past 3 years) and platforms windows 10, android, & linux.
Strange that I've never noticed it prior to a few weeks ago. Even stranger is when I search for the issue on the Kodi support site I'm not seeing people making a lot of noise about it. In my case ive only seen it happen with 24/96 stereo tracks... so far.

I looked into the link I posted above a bit. I haven't made it to my main surround setup yet, but my laptop already allows for exclusive use of the sound driver, but it dosen't specify Kodi, there is simply a check box to allow devices to use the driver exclusively.

I'm convinced it's KODI because FOOBAR, & VLC do not have drop outs.

And it appears not to be related to the Skin, I just tried the TITAN Skin and it has it too. BTW, great audio interface.

Last edited:
I have also learned, when Kodi seems to be running funny, to check for a pending Windows update. I'm not sure why it does this, but a pending update seems to affect its operation. Also, following an update, it will occasionally change the selected Kodi audio driver.

My NVidia Shield with 18.2 Kodi: it does the crossfade hiccup when it starts reading the next file in the queue. However I can say that with 18.2 I am not hearing hiccups when navigating to find a different artist/song like I was with the earlier versions on the Shield: even while the startup scan is running.

I rolled my WinX machine back to Jarvis 16.1, and no issues. It appears to got broke when they switched to the newer format Krypton & newer.

So here is what has happened with my setup.

The blurb above where I mentioned how a pending windows10 update would cause Kodi to skitz out, happened again. When I went to the main system, sure enough, there was an update waiting. I installed it. I checked drivers. It had also reverted back to a DirectSound driver (it often does this after an update as well). I reset it to use Wasapi. It was already configured for exclusive use. I upgraded to Leia 18.2.

After playing both my main and my secondary system for a few hours over the weekend, I found no issues and no skips. Go figure.

Ghosts in the machine. I'll roll back my Libreelec and Android devices to pre Krypton.

Looks like Leia 18.2 is ok then.

They haven’t released LibreElec with final Kodi Leia 18.2 but my alpha version with a 18.2 beta doesn’t have this issue on my old NUC. I haven’t tried my new NUC as only played movies and music videos on that system in last 4 or 5 weeks.

Back