Media Players 103: Kodi File and Folder Organisation/Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told over on the Kodi Forum that the flacs need to be tagged with all three MBID's. So my issue appears to be with dBpoweramp as I think it only supports one MBID...I'll look at Picard, FB2K, and/or MP3 Tagger...

I was told over on the Kodi Forum that the flacs need to be tagged with all three MBID's. So my issue appears to be with dBpoweramp as I think it only supports one MBID...I'll look at Picard, FB2K, and/or MP3 Tagger...

That’s a lot of work. What does adding album and track IDs achieve? I wouldn’t bother unless you are missing something you want.

Reactions: PK
Also, just saw this over on the Kodi Forum:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331274

Not sure if this means I should be using a different directory/file structure?? :unsure::unsure:

The old Artist\Album folder structure is still supported. From what I read they added extra support for v18 to resolve issues with duplicate artist names and their artwork, metadata etc

I’m not going to change what I’m doing unless I get something for the work.

BTW: The MusicBrainz AlbumID can be used to show albums if the albums are different releases (e.g DSOTM (Q8) vs DSOTM (BDA) etc although I just tag the album title as those two example titles and forget the AlbumID

That’s a lot of work. What does adding album and track IDs achieve? I wouldn’t bother unless you are missing something you want.

I have no idea. My thinking was I'd rather have them than not have them if the ripping program will do the work for me. Otherwise that will add an extra step and may not be worth the time as you said...Thanks, PK

The old Artist\Album folder structure is still supported. From what I read they added extra support for v18 to resolve issues with duplicate artist names and their artwork, metadata etc

I’m not going to change what I’m doing unless I get something for the work.

BTW: The MusicBrainz AlbumID can be used to show albums if the albums are different releases (e.g DSOTM (Q8) vs DSOTM (BDA) etc although I just tag the album title as those two example titles and forget the AlbumID

OK, yes, I think I now remember reading that in one of your tutorials...Thanks again, PK

I read recently the MusicBrainz TrackID isn't used in Kodi

Um, well unfortunately my Media Player Project got derailed some time ago. I was hoping my next post would be something to the effect of: "this is the greatest thing since sliced bread!" I just need a block of time to get things going again...I do appreciate all the time and effort you've put into this....Maybe I just need a kick in the ass to get moving again:LOL: Thanks Garry!

No probs PK. (It’s way better than sliced bread!)

I had just retired when I started out going file playback, so plenty of time to fiddle. Not so for many others still working or with other commitments.

If you have questions please post away.

Reactions: PK
Oh yea, I have no doubts that having my music collection at my fingertips like a juke box will be way better than me monkeying around with discs in and out of the Oppo:)
And come to think of it, I bet that is better than sliced bread! Thanks Garry

Two questions about the folder structure:

If an album has two or more discs (say, Frampton Comes Alive), do they have to be treated as separate albums with separate folders?

For classical albums, is the Artist folder the name of the composer, the conductor, or the orchestra, etc.?

Thanks

Kodi uses the file tags not the folder structure in its audio library (database) to group files into ‘albums’

For two versions of the same album I’ve tagged the Album name differently, example:

Dark Side of the Moon (BDA)
Dark Side of the Moon (Quad BDA)
Dark Side of the Moon (Quad Q8)
etc

Kodi actually uses the MusicbrainzID for a release to differentiate different releases (albums), that takes priority over the Album tag, but I didn’t add MusicBrainzIDs in the early days). There‘s a number of tagging apps that will add the MusicBrainzID.

So if you have added different MusicBrainzIDs for each album you can have identical Album tags and Kodi will group the songs correctly.

If you have a double album with two discs you can tag all files with same album name but add the disc number and Kodi will display the songs in correct order, or you can just add unique track numbers from 1 to total song count. Edit: There’s no need to have separate folders for each disc.

Last edited:
I don’t have many classical albums, I generally use the composer as the artist. Kodi does support a composer tag though. Maybe you can post a general question on the forum about how others tag classical?

So, after spending many hours configuring a folder structure and tagging all my music files, I copied everything to a portable hard drive and connected it to my Vero 4K+ media player that runs Kodi 18.5. When I go to Music, it tells me my library is empty, so I "Enter files section." There, I see my hard drive, "Auto-mounted drives," and "Add music." I've tried selecting my hard drive and the folder with all my music files and clicking on Update library, but nothing seems to happen. I've tried opening that folder, which reveals all my artist folders, clicking on Update Library, and nothing happens, I've tried selecting Auto-mounted drives and Add music, but it doesn't seem to navigate to my hard drive. The bottom line is that I can play music using the folder structures, but I can't get the library to update. I've looked on the Kodi wiki and forums, but everybody's setup is so different, I can't find out what I'm doing wrong. Is there something painfully obvious I'm missing?

So, after spending many hours configuring a folder structure and tagging all my music files, I copied everything to a portable hard drive and connected it to my Vero 4K+ media player that runs Kodi 18.5. When I go to Music, it tells me my library is empty, so I "Enter files section." There, I see my hard drive, "Auto-mounted drives," and "Add music." I've tried selecting my hard drive and the folder with all my music files and clicking on Update library, but nothing seems to happen. I've tried opening that folder, which reveals all my artist folders, clicking on Update Library, and nothing happens, I've tried selecting Auto-mounted drives and Add music, but it doesn't seem to navigate to my hard drive. The bottom line is that I can play music using the folder structures, but I can't get the library to update. I've looked on the Kodi wiki and forums, but everybody's setup is so different, I can't find out what I'm doing wrong. Is there something painfully obvious I'm missing?
You input a source for music files in Kodi, correct? Like d:/music or something to that effect? Be sure not to confuse the video library with the music library

You have to add your disc as a Source.

Go to Music menu. Navigate to Files, then select Add Music

in the dialog select Browse and find your USB drive, go into the drive, then select OK in the Add Music Source dialog.

Kodi will ask if you want to Scan that new Source to the Library, click Yes

Kodi will then recursively scan every folder and tagged music file and load into your Kodi Music Library database

Once that’s done Kodi Adds that drive as a Music Source, next time you add Moir music you can just use the Update Libray and Kodi will add new files

The problem is that when I select Browse, the USB drive does not appear. I tried entering a path (My Passport/Surround Music), but all it did was create what looks like another Auto-mounted drive called Surround Music, which I can't figure out how to remove. I guess I'll have to contact the Vero 4K+ support.

The problem is that when I select Browse, the USB drive does not appear. I tried entering a path (My Passport/Surround Music), but all it did was create what looks like another Auto-mounted drive called Surround Music, which I can't figure out how to remove. I guess I'll have to contact the Vero 4K+ support.
try right clicking on an existing source and look for a delete option to delete a source you want to remove. What operating system does your device use?

Back