Media Players 103: Kodi File and Folder Organisation/Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The TAB key on a keyboard does it too.

I use a Minix remote control which has a small keyboard at the back, occasionally I use the TAB key.
I did not know that. Thanks Garry!
I use that same remote too.
Is there a list somewhere that shows what certain key presses do (besides the obvious up-down-left-right arrow, back and enter)?

BTW, I am using the ANS 8.0 skin not by choice - I installed the development build LibreElec 20.0-ALPHA1 (with support for 4K HDR for Intel hardware) in my NUC, and ANS 8.0 is all that is available for that release of Kodi.

You could customise the ANS 8 skin or settings and add Fullscreen toggle back in. It’s actually a Kodi Setting.

Or switch to another skin, change the setting and switch back to ANS 8.
Interesting.
There must be an entry for it in one of the .xml files in the Userdata folder.
If I knew entry, I could try manually adding it with an editor then reboot.

Remote Tip:

A long press (press and hold down) using the main Select button on a remote will pop-up a menu on certain screens (it’s the equivalent of a mouse ‘right-click’ in Windows).

There must be an entry for it in one of the .xml files in the Userdata folder.
If I knew entry, I could try manually adding it with an editor then reboot.

I’ll have a look today. I’m overdue to update my LibreElec / Kodi HDR build and my Artist Slideshow needs to be updated. But yes, all the Kodi settings are just in Xml (text) files, so should be easy to find and manually change.

AdvancedSettings for Music (correction). From the Kodi website:

2.7.3 songinfoduration
This controls how long the song information will remain onscreen when the song changes during visualisations. The valid range is "1" to "Indefinite (0)", in seconds. This does not include the duration of any transition effects.

Default:

<songinfoduration>10</songinfoduration>

I set mine to 7200 but seeing this I’ll change to 0 (infinite). EDIT: 0 does not work! For me that keeps the ArtistSlideShow running constantly while I use my iPad Remote Music app to select tracks/albums to play or I play long Playlists of ‘Best Quad Tracks’ or ‘Acoustic Guitars In Surround’ etc.

Last edited:
The TAB key on a keyboard does it too.

I use a Minix remote control which has a small keyboard at the back, occasionally I use the TAB key.

I‘m still using Aeon Nox 7 on my NUCs. Maybe I shouldn’t update without the Play Music in Fullscreen preference In Aeon Nox 8.

Actually it is the backlash key ("\") that switches between fullscreen and windowed in Kodi. I have a button on my Harmony hub remote programed to do just that.

I did not know that. Thanks Garry!
I use that same remote too.
Is there a list somewhere that shows what certain key presses do (besides the obvious up-down-left-right arrow, back and enter)?

BTW, I am using the ANS 8.0 skin not by choice - I installed the development build LibreElec 20.0-ALPHA1 (with support for 4K HDR for Intel hardware) in my NUC, and ANS 8.0 is all that is available for that release of Kodi.

Keyboard controls - Official Kodi Wiki

And the Tab key (Kodi default)

That must only work during playback. Edit, only backslash works for me for whatever reason on my Matrix/Windows 10 machine. Working now...

Last edited:
I just hope that there will soon be another update to the ANS skin to remedy the situation. The full screen playback option is the only way to go IMHO. I just cant believe there isn't more chatter about it being MIA.

I just hope that there will soon be another update to the ANS skin to remedy the situation. The full screen playback option is the only way to go IMHO. I just cant believe there isn't more chatter about it being MIA.

Can you dumb down for me why you like the Full Screen Playback Option? I am running the previous version that has it but now I don't want to upgrade.

Can you dumb down for me why you like the Full Screen Playback Option? I am running the previous version that has it but now I don't want to upgrade.
All versions still have it, its just that before ANS 8.0, it went into full screen mode automatically at the start of playback. There was a menu option in the skin setup/music OSD menu that allowed that to happen. Now it has to be toggled manually. With a keyboard, its a single key press... easy enough. With my firestick its a series of back out presses.

I use the Artist Slideshow option to show artist fanart while the music is playing. I also like the ANS scrolling type lyrics mod (also a menu option).

For example, with an older ANS version, you simply chose a track to play. The track would start, and simultaneously Kodi would revert to full screen. Every 10 seconds the fanart image changes (the duration is also selectable). The lyrics show up, one line at a time, in a karaoke style presentation and they scroll in time with the music. Its an awesome presentation. If you choose to navigate away, as soon as the next track starts, it reverts back to full screen.

Not all songs have scrolling lyrics. for those that don't a press of the down arrow brings up the next line. Its pretty rare for no lyrics at all to be found, but it happens occasionally, especially with a new release. Occasionally you get incorrect lyrics, but not often. I love having the lyrics available. For all the talk about the physical experience vinyl provides because of its packaging, file playback has an advantage as well in that it will provide lyrics for releases that never included lyric sheets in the first place.

I think the dream would be for a scraper that finds full album art... the back cover, the inside gatefold panels, the liner notes, etc. This could then be presented on the screen as well.

If you haven't thus far, try the full screen mode with scrolling lyrics.

All versions still have it, its just that before ANS 8.0, it went into full screen mode automatically at the start of playback. There was a menu option in the skin setup/music OSD menu that allowed that to happen. Now it has to be toggled manually. With a keyboard, its a single key press... easy enough. With my firestick its a series of back out presses.

I use the Artist Slideshow option to show artist fanart while the music is playing. I also like the ANS scrolling type lyrics mod (also a menu option).

For example, with an older ANS version, you simply chose a track to play. The track would start, and simultaneously Kodi would revert to full screen. Every 10 seconds the fanart image changes (the duration is also selectable). The lyrics show up, one line at a time, in a karaoke style presentation and they scroll in time with the music. Its an awesome presentation. If you choose to navigate away, as soon as the next track starts, it reverts back to full screen.

Not all songs have scrolling lyrics. for those that don't a press of the down arrow brings up the next line. Its pretty rare for no lyrics at all to be found, but it happens occasionally, especially with a new release. Occasionally you get incorrect lyrics, but not often. I love having the lyrics available. For all the talk about the physical experience vinyl provides because of its packaging, file playback has an advantage as well in that it will provide lyrics for releases that never included lyric sheets in the first place.

I think the dream would be for a scraper that finds full album art... the back cover, the inside gatefold panels, the liner notes, etc. This could then be presented on the screen as well.

If you haven't thus far, try the full screen mode with scrolling lyrics.

Thanks. The way I have my Harmony Hub Remote configured, that option isn't going to make that much of a difference. I have the center select button configured to the "tab" keyboard shortcut if I long press it. Normal press is select and long press is full screen. So when I choose a song I just simply push the same button again for two seconds if I want full screen. I may go ahead and update ANS to 8.0.

Thanks. The way I have my Harmony Hub Remote configured, that option isn't going to make that much of a difference. I have the center select button configured to the "tab" keyboard shortcut if I long press it. Normal press is select and long press is full screen. So when I choose a song I just simply push the same button again for two seconds if I want full screen. I may go ahead and update ANS to 8.0.
I agree, its not that big a problem. But it is a step backward. It becomes more of an issue when cherry picking tracks. The other thing I noticed is that the older Kodi versions seemed less reliable with lyric scraping. The new 19.1 seems to find scrolling lyrics more readily. It also has a cooler splash screen,

Back